Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think Vinted were wrong to side with the seller

142 replies

ihatevinted · 12/01/2024 09:01

I bought a pair of trousers on Vinted. Described simply as size 12, very good condition. Photos included a pic of the label showing the size '12R' (R=regular) but no measurements. They're quite a popular brand so if you know these, you know which size / product number to buy - both of which are shown on the label.

When they arrived they'd likely been altered to be exceptionally short (so short that they were actually capri style on my standard height 5'5" self). To the best of my knowledge, this particular trouser isn't available in a cropped length (and the product number on the label corresponds with the standard length I'd expected as I already own several pairs of these) but I messaged the seller to ask if they were cropped or altered as there was nothing mentioned in the listing to say they weren't a standard length. Seller replied 'no - these are normal length, 29 inches inside leg'.
I whipped out my tape measure and measured them - 24 inches. I sent this photo to the seller to show that the trousers is received were most definitely not 29 inches and could I please return for refund because they are far too short. She said no.
I put in a claim with Vinted (item significantly not as described) and sent photos showing the 'regular label' as well as the seller's message about them being standard length.
Vinted replied to say sorry, there was no fault from the seller and that I should have asked more questions before buying to make sure that they were suitable and to check that hadn't been altered.
AIBU to think that if you are selling trousers that you've altered or are not full length, you mention this when selling them?
They weren't cheap either (£50) so I'm quite out of pocket as the chance of selling them on in such an odd length is almost impossible.

OP posts:
Righttherights · 12/01/2024 09:04

Think it’s unreasonable to say you gave to check if they’ve been altered. Have they cut off the excess? Can you let them down?

PalmLady · 12/01/2024 09:08

Can you claim back with your bank or PayPal?

NonPlayerCharacter · 12/01/2024 09:15

Ouch, no, that's the kind of thing the seller should definitely disclose, although I don't know what the law on it is. I believe there is an obligatory 14 day cooling off period with postal orders because you need a chance to actually see and handle the goods before you can decide, but I don't know if it applies to something informal like Vinted and I'm not a lawyer; maybe one can come along and clarify.

Not much use to you now, I know, but this is why I'd never buy anything on Vinted that was more than a few quid. They're not official businesses and it's basically a massive jumble sale. I hope you can get it sorted, you deserve your money back and the seller deserves some honest feedback in her history.

ihatevinted · 12/01/2024 09:17

Righttherights · 12/01/2024 09:04

Think it’s unreasonable to say you gave to check if they’ve been altered. Have they cut off the excess? Can you let them down?

Yes they've been cut. The trousers taper at the ankle (normally) so wouldn't work if you tried to create a huge hem. I think they've been altered to be a capri style rather than shortened for someone a bit short (as the 24" inside leg is tiny and also these trousers are also made in a petite fitting if needed).

OP posts:
NeptunaOfTheMermaidBattleSquadron · 12/01/2024 09:20

YANBU that's ridiculous. The description should have been accurate. Can you go back to them with the Consumer Rights Act or have they closed any communication down now?

grapesandplums · 12/01/2024 09:21

That's ridiculous! I sell a lot on vinted and also buy. I'd never mislead someone in that way and shame on vinted for siding with the seller

KripKrapKrisp · 12/01/2024 09:22

Vinted customer service is awful!

cancany174 · 12/01/2024 09:23

Leave a terrible review

NameChangePoP · 12/01/2024 09:26

Unfortunately this is typical of Vinted, and what we sign up for when we use the platform.
As long as the seller wasn't misleading in their description at point of sale then Vinted will always side with the seller. The onus is on the buyer to check certain measurements if they're not listed.
Just re-list them and sell them on so you're not out of pocket.

ActDottie · 12/01/2024 09:31

That’s bad. The item is not as described I’d try speak to Vinted again and then PayPal it credit card company

SisterMichaelsHabit · 12/01/2024 09:31

But they were misleading in their description. They described it as a 12R (r implying the correct length of trouser) pair of trousers and what they sent was most of a pair of 12R trousers. The bottom of the legs was missing. The item was incomplete and not as described.

Theresplendentemmaforbes · 12/01/2024 09:32

I don't think Vinted are being unreasonable to say the onus was on you to ask for measurements but are unreasonable to expect you to specifically ask if they have been altered.

I sell on vinted but have stopped purchasing as I've had 3 items in a row which have been shrunk in the wash. Another item I purchased is something that cannot be washed in a machine but that wasn't disclosed.

NonPlayerCharacter · 12/01/2024 09:33

NameChangePoP · 12/01/2024 09:26

Unfortunately this is typical of Vinted, and what we sign up for when we use the platform.
As long as the seller wasn't misleading in their description at point of sale then Vinted will always side with the seller. The onus is on the buyer to check certain measurements if they're not listed.
Just re-list them and sell them on so you're not out of pocket.

But she was misleading. She didn't mention the trousers were 5 inches shorter than standard and then lied about it after the sale.

StoppitRightNow · 12/01/2024 09:41

YANBU that’s stupid. I’d escalate to Vibted on SM and leave a really really bad review.

Summonedbybees · 12/01/2024 09:54

I bought a toy on Vinted before Christmas for my grandchild.It was £50 odd quid. I bid and paid for the item. A few days later the seller was complaining that she didn't have time to post the article. I explained I wanted it for Christmas. A few days later she decided not to send the item at all because she had a one year old and she was too busy to organise posting it. It took nearly two weeks to get the money refunded. In the meantime I had to track down and pay for another one. Vinted said, even though I had paid and she had received the money, the seller had the right to change her mind. In fact, the call assistant I was texting for help was sympathetic but told me that Vinted sides with the seller. I think the sub text is don't spend more than a few quid because it is hard to get a refund if the seller is difficult.
You cannot leave poor feedback if you haven't received the article even though they have accepted and taken your money. I don't think Vinted has much in the way of professional standards compared to EBAY

sergeantsalt · 12/01/2024 09:57

NeptunaOfTheMermaidBattleSquadron · 12/01/2024 09:20

YANBU that's ridiculous. The description should have been accurate. Can you go back to them with the Consumer Rights Act or have they closed any communication down now?

CRA doesn't apply to Vinted, they state it in their T&C. Unfortunately when you buy things you have to accept it comes with the risk it might be unsuitable and in most cases all you can do is leave a negative review.

eurochick · 12/01/2024 10:05

I think Vinted are wrong but you won't get anywhere. The item was listed as a 12R so they described the leg length as "R" for that brand. That clearly wasn't the case if they had been shortened.

Rosiem2808 · 12/01/2024 10:07

Oh Dear. I bought a coat - right size - and the arms are not long enough. I am not even going to contact the seller after reading these stories this morning. I will just re-sell it.

Heartbreaktuna · 12/01/2024 10:53

The consumer rights act and distant selling regs only apply to B2C contracts (contracts between traders and consumers)

Cattenberg · 12/01/2024 11:46

So Vinted customers have no more consumer rights than if they’d bought an item at a car boot sale? With the massive disadvantage that they couldn’t see and examine the item before they bought it?

If that’s true, why on Earth would anyone buy from Vinted?

NonPlayerCharacter · 12/01/2024 11:56

Cattenberg · 12/01/2024 11:46

So Vinted customers have no more consumer rights than if they’d bought an item at a car boot sale? With the massive disadvantage that they couldn’t see and examine the item before they bought it?

If that’s true, why on Earth would anyone buy from Vinted?

Usually, because it's tuppence ha'penny.

But that's why I'd never buy anything from it that was more than about a fiver, maybe a tenner if I really liked it. Not more than I'm prepared to lose. I've been lucky so far but it's a gamble.

IsThePopeCatholic · 12/01/2024 11:57

That’s really bad. The same thing happened to me. The trousers had been shortened and the hems glued! Luckily the seller refunded me the item and told me to keep them. If she hadn’t, I would have been mightily pissed off.

Heartbreaktuna · 12/01/2024 12:00

@Cattenberg yes. Vinted is just the platform that brings sellers and buyers together, it's not the seller it's self. The 'buyer protection' is a misnomer, from what I have seen you are in reality paying an admin service fee for using the platform.

LutonBeds · 12/01/2024 12:04

Summonedbybees · 12/01/2024 09:54

I bought a toy on Vinted before Christmas for my grandchild.It was £50 odd quid. I bid and paid for the item. A few days later the seller was complaining that she didn't have time to post the article. I explained I wanted it for Christmas. A few days later she decided not to send the item at all because she had a one year old and she was too busy to organise posting it. It took nearly two weeks to get the money refunded. In the meantime I had to track down and pay for another one. Vinted said, even though I had paid and she had received the money, the seller had the right to change her mind. In fact, the call assistant I was texting for help was sympathetic but told me that Vinted sides with the seller. I think the sub text is don't spend more than a few quid because it is hard to get a refund if the seller is difficult.
You cannot leave poor feedback if you haven't received the article even though they have accepted and taken your money. I don't think Vinted has much in the way of professional standards compared to EBAY

That’s odd. I bid and paid for a purse, seller never sent it said they “didn’t have time” 🙄. I was refunded pretty much straight away and seller was left negative feedback automatically by Vinted.

Hodge00079 · 12/01/2024 12:21

Unfortunately, very much against the buyer. I assumed that there would be some protection but not the case. I didn’t realise that even if seller accepts return it is up to them if refund your postage.

I have only been stung for low value items. Sorry you got stung for high value item.

It shouldn’t be up to a buyer to ask if item has been altered. It is things like that and my own recent experience which means I’m done with Vinted.

I think that the only thing you can do is list the item and say they have been altered. Unfortunately might take a while to find the right person.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.