Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you think Person B is lying?

76 replies

Dizzledazzleswow · 06/01/2024 14:41

Person A and Person B live on a farm with lots of fences, muddy verges and machinery/equipment.

Person A and B went out for food with friends one night. On return to the house, Person A notices the fence leading to the house is partly knocked down and the long panels are snapped. It's rare other people venture up the to the farm but there was a delivery earlier that day. Person A comments 'the fence is all knocked down, someone must have reversed into it. Maybe the delivery driver'. Person B replies 'the fence posts could have rotted out. I can't see any tracks to the fence so doubt it has been reversed into'. It was dark and nothing else was said.

This morning, Person A looks at the fence again and says 'there are track marks to it actually and it's only snapped fully in one place'. Person A then notices and picks up a magnetic trailer light from the wood debris and says to Person B 'this is off the trailer you have been towing'. Person B replies 'I do not know why that is there'. Person A says 'well it's obvious why it is there. It was you who reversed into the fence and smashed it up and have since covered it up. I thought your response yesterday was odd, immediately saying you didn't think it had been reversed into'. Person B says 'it does look like I did it but I didn't have any knowledge of it and had no idea it happened as I didn't feel anything when pulling the trailer out the other day'. Person A believes Person B is lying, stating their 'odd responses' throughout the whole matter. Person B says they are categorically NOT lying and had no idea they had done it and thought rotted fence posts was more likely.

Would you believe Person B or go with Person A's theory that Person A has known they did it all along?

OP posts:
Purplecatshopaholic · 06/01/2024 14:46

Given the light in the debris it looks pretty clear person B did the damage. Is it likely you can reverse a trailer and not know if you hit something? You know them, we don’t, but it seems odd. In answer to your question, I think it’s more likely they knew they did it, so they are lying, yes. I guess the question is why..?

CurlewKate · 06/01/2024 14:46

Well, if it's definitely the light from the trailer, then person b did it. But person b doesn't have to be lying-it's quite likely they didn't notice as they said. Why does it matter?

Dizzledazzleswow · 06/01/2024 14:49

It doesn't matter for any particular reason other than wondering how others would perceive what happened.

Also if Person A believes Person B was aware they had done it and had since tried to cover it up, I guess Person A would wonder why they did that.

OP posts:
Hellocatshome · 06/01/2024 14:49

Person B might not have noticed doing it. Person B might feel embarrassed so isn't admitting it. Person B might be a lying shit. Kind of depends what else is going on with Person A and Person B as to whether this is worth making a thing out of or not.

Theatrefan12 · 06/01/2024 14:50

Person A sounds like a pain in the arse and Person B knew they would have a go so said what they said to avoid an argument

Fionaville · 06/01/2024 14:52

I'd be wondering why person B is so afraid of admitting their accident to person A, to the point of keeping the lie going.

cariadlet · 06/01/2024 14:53

What's the point of the person A and person B nonsense when the way you wrote the post makes it obvious who you are and obvious which is the other person, presumably your DH.

Sparklfairy · 06/01/2024 14:54

Person A is like a dog with a bone and really pushing the issue. Person B is squirming and being evasive.

It's really difficult to tell whether Person A's annoying behaviour is a result of Person B having form for lying, or Person B covers shit up because Person A is always aggressive and accusatory...

Raincloudsonasunnyday · 06/01/2024 14:54

I suppose the delivery driver could have had the same light as the one found near the fence, but more likely Person B didn’t realize they’d reversed into the fence. Whatever, I feel sorry for Person B not being able to own up to an innocent mistake, whether out of fear Person A will have a go at them or not.

VisionsOfSplendour · 06/01/2024 14:54

I'd be a bit sceptical about person B since they made a point of saying they couldn't see tracks when it was dark and presumably impossible to have seen them anyway

I assume you are A

Flickersy · 06/01/2024 14:54

Who cares, just fix the damn fence.

Sonora25 · 06/01/2024 14:54

A and B shouldn’t run a farm together as they don’t trust each other

cutlery · 06/01/2024 14:55

If person B wasn't aware they did it they shouldn't be towing a trailer

cutlery · 06/01/2024 14:57

VisionsOfSplendour · 06/01/2024 14:54

I'd be a bit sceptical about person B since they made a point of saying they couldn't see tracks when it was dark and presumably impossible to have seen them anyway

I assume you are A

Yes me too. OP you are A

HunterHearstHelmsley · 06/01/2024 14:57

Person A sounds like a pain in the arse and Person B knew they would have a go so said what they said to avoid an argument

Agree. My first thought after reading it was that Person A was a dick and Person B didn't want an argument.

BIossomtoes · 06/01/2024 14:58

This.

5128gap · 06/01/2024 14:59

Person B did it. Person B didn't want person A tutting at them about it so tried to head it off with the rotting posts story. When person A found evidence they were embarrassed and doubled down on the lie. Person B is either so keen to avoid being in the wrong ever they lie as a first response rather than admitting an error, or is scared of person A.

MonsteraMama · 06/01/2024 15:00

Person A sounds really annoying with their fucking amateur Poirot bullshit "it was person B, with the trailer, in the driveway".

Person B may be lying, it may have been an accident (you really can't feel it if a trailer bumps something sometimes and if the wood was rotten a small bump might've been enough to knock it over), or it might've been the delivery driver and the light is a coincidence.

Person A and Person B both need to get a grip and just fix the bloody fence. It's not worth an argument over whodunnit.

dontgobaconmyheart · 06/01/2024 15:02

Person A's communication is awful, they come across as a complete dick really.

Would I assume person B was 'lying- - no not necessarily, they may not have realised it had happened. Would I conclude that it was in fact their vehicle that had done the damage - most probably yes. If it can't be proven however there is no point aggressively pursuing it. I'd not have spoken to them that way but would have asked them to be honest and say (because it's true) that it's not really an issue, as they can quite easily be fixed.

5128gap · 06/01/2024 15:04

Dizzledazzleswow · 06/01/2024 14:49

It doesn't matter for any particular reason other than wondering how others would perceive what happened.

Also if Person A believes Person B was aware they had done it and had since tried to cover it up, I guess Person A would wonder why they did that.

Can never stand to admit errors. Scared of you. Did it while drunk and drinking is an issue between you. Did it while having a funny turn of some sort and doesn't want to tell you they're ill? Why do you think they lied?

Dizzledazzleswow · 06/01/2024 15:06

Haha thanks everyone for your responses.
Yes I am Person A, and the notorious 'bad driver' in our relationship which is why I think DH tried to cover up the fence breaking as he's forever harping on about what a great driver he is. I am also quite naggy about keeping the farm tidy and neat as little jobs can get out of hand if not tackled immediately (broken fences = sheep in your front garden) so maybe that's why he lied.
I guess my biggest question was 'do you think he genuinely didn't know he'd done it?' As in my experience, I would know if I hit something when towing that trailer.
I'm the grand scheme of things no, I'm not that bothered. Was just intrigued as to how others would have perceived his response.

OP posts:
AlisonDonut · 06/01/2024 15:08

Did person A actually do it, and pretend it would be person B?

Is the tail lamp actually from the trailer? Does person A drive the trailer at all?

Flickersy · 06/01/2024 15:08

Was just intrigued as to how others would have perceived his response

I can certainly tell you how people would perceive posting a thread about it trying to prove you're in the right...

premiur · 06/01/2024 15:10

God these people are married Confused

What a load of wasted energy.

Dizzledazzleswow · 06/01/2024 15:10

I did try to be as unbiased as possible in my OP

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.