Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think TikTok should be regulated

12 replies

Tiredboymum22 · 05/01/2024 10:04

I mean I’m all for free speech but I can’t believe some of the things I’ve seen on that app.

FYI my algorithm shows me stuff about autism and the Middle East because I have an autistic son and watched a few videos out of interest. I also have family in Israel (although I don’t like their govt or agree with their response).

Here are a few things I’ve seen on my FYP the last few weeks:

People basically agreeing with H*mas and repeating antisemitic conspiracy theories, which I won’t go into right now.

Teenagers or young adults using dummies to destress.

People encouraging others to cut family members off over stupid stuff that all parents did in the nineties/naughties.

People angry that the NHS won’t diagnose them with autism/ADHD after making it their entire platform.

Just now, someone arguing that baristas should receive the same pay as doctors because if doctors won’t work for the same wage as a barista they must be in it for the wrong reasons.

I honestly hope it’s a thing of the past when DS becomes a teenager!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

23 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
30%
You are NOT being unreasonable
70%
brainworms · 05/01/2024 10:08

Data is the most valuable thing now. Including the bad stuff. It's a horrible reality, which is why it's running riot, and causing brain rot.

HowDoYouSpellThat · 05/01/2024 10:11

I agree OP, it seems fuckin crazy.
I dont have social media now, never had tiktok, but it seems like a terrible thing for young minds to have unfettered access to.

jc12689 · 05/01/2024 10:13

It's a toxic platform. Best way is to stop using it. It's full of idiots who live in echo chambers.

Tiredboymum22 · 05/01/2024 10:14

@jc12689 now and then I’ll come across some good content but it’s few and far between

OP posts:
Sirzy · 05/01/2024 10:16

But most of them are just people’s opinions, they may differ from yours but does that mean you can stop them posting them?

Didimum · 05/01/2024 10:23

Sirzy · 05/01/2024 10:16

But most of them are just people’s opinions, they may differ from yours but does that mean you can stop them posting them?

This.

TikTok is great when you find your niche. Just like Twitter and IG it contains smaller social circles which can be identified with the right hashtags. Regarding your examples, anyone is free to voice those opinions on any social media platform (and they do).

Janesmom · 05/01/2024 19:18

I mean TikTok and other social media sites are regulated but - if OP thinks the government should ban stuff just because she disagrees with it, I'm not sure TikTok is the problem...

HaitchOar · 05/01/2024 19:22

If you get weird stuff you need to long press and click “not interested”. If you do that enough, you’ll only get stuff you like.
I only really get stuff I like (vintage fashion, memes, cute animals, history vids) because every time something I’m not interested in comes up I tell the algorithm. (It’s not always weird stuff either; today I kept getting football videos?! Nah.)

TimeFlysWhenYoureHavingRum · 05/01/2024 19:25

Stop using it. It's owned and run by the Chinese State.

CheeseWisely · 05/01/2024 19:25

HaitchOar · 05/01/2024 19:22

If you get weird stuff you need to long press and click “not interested”. If you do that enough, you’ll only get stuff you like.
I only really get stuff I like (vintage fashion, memes, cute animals, history vids) because every time something I’m not interested in comes up I tell the algorithm. (It’s not always weird stuff either; today I kept getting football videos?! Nah.)

This. I largely see stuff I'm interested in on TikTok (history, travel, people taking the piss out American 'cookery' videos) because I tell the algorithm to do one that I'm not interested in other content.

henrysugar12 · 05/01/2024 19:25

The more you watch them, the more they will come up. You need to scroll by or click I'm not interested.

CrispsandCheeseSandwich · 05/01/2024 19:47

I've never used TikTok, but apart from the antisemitism, the things you've mentioned are just opinions you disagree with. They may be ridiculous but I'm not sure that's a basis to ban them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.