Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Tonthink we shouldn't send jets to Ukrsine

28 replies

Viviennemary · 25/01/2023 22:04

I just read President Zelensky has asked for fighter jets to be supplied. I think this is a step too far. This seems to up things more than supplying tanks which I do agree with. Its getting worrying.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

DonnaBanana · 25/01/2023 22:14

If Ukraine falls then we’ll be sending not only jets to Estonia and Poland, but our men and women also.

Please
or

NameChagaiiiin · 25/01/2023 22:16

Whilst I agree it's worrying, I genuinely personally think its great that other EU countries and the UK are not just standing by passively any more. Ukraine has suffered horrendously so far, and hopefully a show of support from others will go some way to ending this madness.

Please
or

BabyOnBoard90 · 25/01/2023 22:17

Write to the Defence minister

Please
or

FangsForTheMemory · 25/01/2023 22:18

Do you want this war over ASAP? Or do you want it to drag on?

Please
or

Viviennemary · 25/01/2023 22:19

Apologies for typing errors. I do agree with what you are saying. That if he isnt stopped things may well escalate anyway. Same happened with Hitler. Trouble is nobody can predict the outcome in this situation with Ukraine.

OP posts:
Please
or

dreambeam · 25/01/2023 22:20

It's getting worrying how? Please elaborate

Please
or

ACynicalDad · 25/01/2023 22:22

I think we need to do what we can to get this war won quickly with the minimum loss of Ukrainian lives. It is vital to the free world that Russia is defeated. We can now see how awful the Russian army are, I don't think they could cause us much damage if we pissed them off. I know it would be provocative but if Ukraine can't make decisive steps forward in the spring I'd not be far off thinking that having US/Allied airstrikes on Russian forces in Ukrainian territory might be acceptable - I think bombing Russia would be a step too far.

Please
or

WimpoleHat · 25/01/2023 22:22

We don’t have tanks in any significant numbers. The US and Germany has tanks but, understandably, don’t want to go out on a limb on their own. So it needs to be a united European stance, I think- where every major country makes a meaningful contribution.

Please
or

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr · 25/01/2023 22:31

Send it all, in numbers and wound this bear so bad it crawls back into its hole.

Please
or

MaggieFS · 25/01/2023 22:37

He's been asking for months hasn't he?

Please
or

Thatladdo · 25/01/2023 22:56

The only way our jets would go to ukraine would be with RAF crew flying them.
Ukranian forces have no experience flying anything like the typhoon, training is out of the question and costs are prohibitive at the very least and we have no old soviet era equipment.
Other countries gifting equipment is their choice.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 25/01/2023 22:57

If Ukraine falls then we’ll be sending not only jets to Estonia and Poland, but our men and women also.

This.

How can it be “starting to get worrying” for you? Didn’t the genocide of fellow human beings feel worrying for you at any point until you thought it might come to our door?

TBH though, it’s more likely to do that if we don’t give Ukraine everything it needs to win.

Please
or

stbrandonsboat · 25/01/2023 23:16

Nope. Send them whatever they need. They're defending the whole of Europe and Russia needs to be put back in its box.

Please
or

Cheesandcrackers · 25/01/2023 23:21

Maybe we have Russians a bit closer to home.👹

Please
or

maeveiscurious · 25/01/2023 23:22

Viviennemary · 25/01/2023 22:04

I just read President Zelensky has asked for fighter jets to be supplied. I think this is a step too far. This seems to up things more than supplying tanks which I do agree with. Its getting worrying.

Another one 🤔

Please
or

GoodSister · 25/01/2023 23:25

Exactly

Please
or

stbrandonsboat · 25/01/2023 23:25

Yeah, they all need to chill out with a vodka and tonic 🥳

Please
or

DixonD · 25/01/2023 23:36

MaggieFS · 25/01/2023 22:37

He's been asking for months hasn't he?

Yes, for about 11 months.

Please
or

DixonD · 25/01/2023 23:37

This is not “new” news OP. He has been begging for planes since the war in its current form began.

Please
or

Thatladdo · 25/01/2023 23:38

He asked for the airspace to be closed right away.
No can do, would have brought us into direct confilict.

Please
or

BreadInCaptivity · 25/01/2023 23:51

Thatladdo · 25/01/2023 22:56

The only way our jets would go to ukraine would be with RAF crew flying them.
Ukranian forces have no experience flying anything like the typhoon, training is out of the question and costs are prohibitive at the very least and we have no old soviet era equipment.
Other countries gifting equipment is their choice.

This.

Providing planes is a moot point without pilots trained to fly them and that training can take years.

Please
or

Greenshake · 26/01/2023 00:07

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 25/01/2023 22:57

This.

How can it be “starting to get worrying” for you? Didn’t the genocide of fellow human beings feel worrying for you at any point until you thought it might come to our door?

TBH though, it’s more likely to do that if we don’t give Ukraine everything it needs to win.

I agree. This situation really has shown how self absorbed some people have become.

Please
or

Pyewhacket · 26/01/2023 00:17

Not if it leaves us short or unable to defend ourselves properly.

Perhaps Cameron and Osborne should have mothballed our jets rather than selling them to the Americans for a fraction of their worth or smashing the rest up.

Please
or

Goldpaw · 26/01/2023 00:21

This. The war needs winding up asap.

Please
or

TheFairyCaravan · 26/01/2023 00:22

Our men and women have been in Estonia and Poland for well over a year.

No we shouldn’t send jets in. We shouldn’t send our men and women in either. We’ve sent so much already, we’ve been training the Ukrainian army day in and day out since this started. There’s a limit to what we can do.

Please
or