Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I'm creeped out and don't think I'll be able to sleep

146 replies

Millana · 24/01/2023 23:32

This happened about 1hr ago and I'm still creeped out.

I put on my clean pjs and got into bed. I'm by myself tonight so all the lights were off etc. My hip started itching/feeling a bit scratchy so I adjusted my trousers to move the label that seemed to be bothering me. A few minutes later, it was bothering me again so I thought maybe a feather was sticking into my trousers so had a feel about.

Not a label. Not a feather. There was something MOVING in my trousers. I jumped out of bed as fast as I could and pulled my trousers down. I managed to get it out of my trousers. I think it was a GIANT moth. It flew (possibly jumped?) off before I could properly look but it was MASSIVE. Seriously, it look up most of my cupped hand.

I think it was a moth. I'm sort of guessing it was because it felt fluttery or shaky and furry in my hand.

This giant fluttery furry thing that was IN my pjs is now somewhere in my house.

I'm all itchy and unsettled. Insects don't normally bother me but now I'm all itchy and had a thought about more moths in my bed/pjs climbing up my nose while I sleep.

On top of that... I'm freaked out but also sad now that the moth (if that's what it was) is going to die because there is no way that escapade didn't damage it's wings.

I mean, what is a giant moth doing in my pjs in January?!

Shudder. Check your pjs over folks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Skinnermarink · 24/01/2023 23:34

Ummmm are you sure it wasn’t a mouse?

Please
or

Chickydoo · 24/01/2023 23:34

Could be a bat 🦇

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 24/01/2023 23:35

I would have to burn the house down!

Please
or

user143677433 · 24/01/2023 23:38

At the risk of staying the obvious, leave a light on (with a shade) in the corridor and leave your bedroom door open. Then you know it’s not in the bedroom.

Wings might be fine. Moths are surprisingly sturdy.

If it makes you feel any better, there is no real difference between moths and butterflies. Would you be as freaked out if there had been a butterfly in your T-shirt on a summers day?

Please
or

neverknowinglyunreasonable · 24/01/2023 23:39

My cousin got eaten by one of these. Stay safe.

Please
or

HowCanIPayItForward · 24/01/2023 23:40

Ugh, I'd be shaken too. Don't bother trying to sleep straight away - watch or read something funny.

Please
or

Millana · 24/01/2023 23:40

Skinnermarink · 24/01/2023 23:34

Ummmm are you sure it wasn’t a mouse?

Oh god I hope not. Cute as they are, I do not want mice. It was upstairs and I've not seen any evidence? We have cat. Whether she would try and catch them or just lie there and watch them run around in front of her who knows. Actually, she'd probably run away and hide tbh.

OP posts:
Please
or

LightSpeeds · 24/01/2023 23:40

😂

Please
or

SoShallINever · 24/01/2023 23:42

Oh wow, how amazing, I'd be up all night trying to find and identify it. Might be an elephant hawk moth? Or even a bat.

Please
or

Schnooze · 24/01/2023 23:43

I feel a bit sad for Mothy too. Perhaps he just wanted to be close to you.

Please
or

nancy75 · 24/01/2023 23:44

This call for a flame thrower and a new place to live

Please
or

Lessoftheold · 24/01/2023 23:45

🤣🤣

Please
or

TheLoupGarou · 24/01/2023 23:45

Fuck me that's horrifying. Thoughts and prayers.

Please
or

TheLoupGarou · 24/01/2023 23:46

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please
or

neverknowinglyunreasonable · 24/01/2023 23:46

I think people are overreacting. If having something itchy and furry in your pj trousers is a crime then lock me up officer.

Please
or

AtrociousCircumstance · 24/01/2023 23:47

He thought they were his pyjamas.

”A HUMAN climbed into my pjs and HURLED me across the room!”

🦋

Please
or

Salome61 · 24/01/2023 23:47

Might have been a tortoiseshell butterfly, they hibernate if they can in houses in the winter.

Please
or

AMalteserForYourThoughts · 24/01/2023 23:48

If it makes you feel any better, I know someone who had - I want to say a bee but I think bees die when they sting so maybe it was a wasp - a stinging one anyway - in his pyjamas in the bed. He first felt a pin prick and was 'ouch' and then it kept going - he was stung many times and liek you it took him a while to work it out

It could be worse.

Please
or

LadyVictoriaSponge · 24/01/2023 23:50

Are you sure it wasn’t a bat?

Please
or

bramblebucket · 24/01/2023 23:52

I hate things like spiders, moths, butterflies all urgh ( yes I know nature and all that...) I once had a bat on my shoulder in the bathroom. It was horrific... Get another pair of PJs on and sleep in another room and investigate tomorrow with some light...

Please
or

NeedMoMoney · 24/01/2023 23:52

Mothman!! The urban legend of moth like man!

Please
or

Skinnermarink · 24/01/2023 23:53

mice can really jump. We accidentally brought one home from the nursery shed in the bottom of the buggy, feasting on Organix carrot puffs, and when I tried to collapse the buggy in the hallway it ‘flew’ at me.

Please
or

Dibbydoos · 24/01/2023 23:55

Get a GSD they try to eat every insect going, it's hilarious!

But then 19 yo DS was attacked by a moth last year. He said it woke him up by flying into hus nose repeatedly. It freaked him out so he had to fight it initially whilst just waking up and then wide awake freaked out state. The moth lost - it was huge. He was really sad it died. :( No idea why it attacked him though....

Please
or

Girlmama · 24/01/2023 23:56

user143677433 · 24/01/2023 23:38

At the risk of staying the obvious, leave a light on (with a shade) in the corridor and leave your bedroom door open. Then you know it’s not in the bedroom.

Wings might be fine. Moths are surprisingly sturdy.

If it makes you feel any better, there is no real difference between moths and butterflies. Would you be as freaked out if there had been a butterfly in your T-shirt on a summers day?

Having an absolute horrific and, I understand, wholly irrational fear of butterflies, the idea of one being in my clothes would lead me to expire on the spot!

Please
or

UnicornsHaveDadsToo · 24/01/2023 23:58

Millana · 24/01/2023 23:40

Oh god I hope not. Cute as they are, I do not want mice. It was upstairs and I've not seen any evidence? We have cat. Whether she would try and catch them or just lie there and watch them run around in front of her who knows. Actually, she'd probably run away and hide tbh.

Cat would be the reason you'd have the mouse in there in the first place! We don't get mice in the house. Except, of course, when one of the furry fuckwits brings in a live one, gets bored/loses interest/drops it by mistake after playing with it, and lets it get away and hide somewhere in the house. The responsible cat then fucks off, till evidence of the mouse makes its presence known. It then becomes my job to track the little shit down, catch it and chuck it out.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?