My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think travellers should be weighed WITH their luggage when travelling.

300 replies

Bakergram · 24/11/2022 15:49

I'm prepared for backlash.

I was charged excess for my hand luggage as it was over a certain weight- that's absolutely fine. The combined total weight for myself and my cabin baggage was approx 69 kg. My friend wasn't charged because their luggage wasn't overweight yet the combined total for them and their luggage was over 90kg. My friend joked about how unfair it was.

Surely it would be fairer to use the combined weigh of traveller and cabin luggage to determine and excess fees due?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1187 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
67%
You are NOT being unreasonable
33%
Pootles34 · 24/11/2022 15:50

Your friend was joking because she knew it was a ridiculous suggestion. You can leave your non-essential packing behind - could your friend lop off a leg, perhaps?

GristleToesAndWhine · 24/11/2022 15:50

Not this goady old twaddle again.

If you want to charge them per kg then they should be allocated a seat proportionate to the cost/weight.

So there should be different sized seats, and those who pay more should get nice wide seats Grin

Hardbackwriter · 24/11/2022 15:51

As a tall person with a tall family I am, unsurprisingly, not in agreement...!

stackhead · 24/11/2022 15:51

Ah yes. Let me knock 6 inches off my height.... maybe a leg or two?

OR

You could just pack less?

BigChesterDraws · 24/11/2022 15:52

Consider the excess charge you paid as a penalty fine for not being able to follow clear instructions. The airline website will state what the limits are. If you can’t keep within them, that’s your problem.

Sugarplumfairy65 · 24/11/2022 15:52

Should my wheelchair be weighed too? How about a family with a baby who don't pay for the baby under 2 years old but get to take a pram?

Autumnalleavestime · 24/11/2022 15:52

Oh lol this again, goad goad goad, does anyone fall foe it any more 😂

theswoot · 24/11/2022 15:52

Give your head a wobble

IglesiasPiggl · 24/11/2022 15:53

Ooh, imagine how much luggage a toddler could bring!

gublercullen · 24/11/2022 15:53

I genuinely think if passengers were required to be weighed before travelling, a lot of them wouldn't bother. I certainly wouldn't be standing on a scale in front of anyone. When it comes to people suffering from any kind of disordered eating like myself, I'd think that public weighing (and shaming in this case, i.e. airlines charging you for being overweight), it'd make travelling impossible. In that case, YABU but I understand its frustrating.

GyozaGuiting · 24/11/2022 15:54

Yanbu.
From a business perspective it’s about fuel.
More weight = more fuel.
You and your bag bring more weight to the flight, you pay more.
I weigh 50kg and therefore cost less in fuel than someone who weighs 100kg.
It’s just maths. Some airlines already do it.

Amboseli · 24/11/2022 15:54

I think it's a great idea.

RememberedForAllTheWrongReasons · 24/11/2022 15:54

‘Your friend’ aye, right.

You should have a look at a few videos on TikTok of passengers that smuggle extra clothing disguised as travel pillows or whatever, they give tips on how to avoid extra charges, although they wouldn’t be able to cheat the system if they were being weighed as well.

takealettermsjones · 24/11/2022 15:54

Aircrafts have a wide margin of safety so could safely carry more weight than the actual stated limit. The baggage limits aren't just about the overall weight of the plane, they're also about safety for the baggage handlers. So unless you're expecting to be thrown on the flight like a suitcase, YABU.

luxxlisbon · 24/11/2022 15:54

Sugarplumfairy65 · 24/11/2022 15:52

Should my wheelchair be weighed too? How about a family with a baby who don't pay for the baby under 2 years old but get to take a pram?

You do actually pay for an under 2 year old so their luggage/ pram is not free, you just don’t pay an adults full fare if they don’t have a seat.

Fannyann0 · 24/11/2022 15:56

Why did you not weigh your hand luggage at home it's quite simple.

CarPoor · 24/11/2022 15:57

Or you could just pack a bit less?

PuttingDownRoots · 24/11/2022 15:57

This actually happened to DH...

Was told his cabin case was too heavy. So took his laptop out. Now under required weight... and he could carry the laptop separately.

jamoncrumpets · 24/11/2022 15:57

If you genuinely think like this please give your head a big wobble. A BIG wobble.

Should we then charge pregnant women more? Women carrying twins even more than that? What about people with thyroid issues, or people of certain ethnicities who naturally carry more weight around their middle and bottom?
Should we incentivise eating disorders by letting the skinniest fly more cheaply?

Fannyann0 · 24/11/2022 15:58

BigChesterDraws · 24/11/2022 15:52

Consider the excess charge you paid as a penalty fine for not being able to follow clear instructions. The airline website will state what the limits are. If you can’t keep within them, that’s your problem.

Exactly of OP concerned herself with weighing her luggage instead of others body weights they probably wouldn't have gone over in the first place.

Papyrus · 24/11/2022 15:59

GyozaGuiting · 24/11/2022 15:54

Yanbu.
From a business perspective it’s about fuel.
More weight = more fuel.
You and your bag bring more weight to the flight, you pay more.
I weigh 50kg and therefore cost less in fuel than someone who weighs 100kg.
It’s just maths. Some airlines already do it.

I haven't heard of any airlines that charge extra if passengers weigh more. Smaller planes have stricter weight restrictions and passengers may be weighed to make sure the weight distribution is right. I've been weighed before flying in a helicopter for example. But that's not the same as a big commercial aircraft.

Skinnermarink · 24/11/2022 16:01

Oh feck off Liz Jones.

PeekabooAtTheZoo · 24/11/2022 16:02

I'm 49kg and I've often thought this, OP. I think smaller-sized clothes should be cheaper too, as they use less fabric and less petrol etc to transport them due to being smaller and lighter. I also think I should be exempt from the sugar tax.

But it's a very unpopular opinion. My suggestion is to get a massive coat with loads of pockets and fill it with your excess stuff.

donquixotedelamancha · 24/11/2022 16:03

The combined total weight for myself and my cabin baggage was approx 69 kg.

You must be a tiny person, OP, to weigh so little yet be so dense.

TellMeWhere · 24/11/2022 16:03

Presumably it's more profitable and a lot less faff to make money from all the fat, thin, tall and short people who bring an overweight bag.

I always weigh my luggage. Suggest doing the same if you don't want to fork out.

How would you make it fair? A slim five foot man versus an athletic 6 foot 5 man. One weighs twice as much as the other through genetics alone?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.