Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Grazing tables...

141 replies

upandmummin · 18/10/2022 08:49

Seen them gaining popularity on Instagram and TikTok over the last year and came across my first as the evening food at a wedding recently. No one there serving it, no gloves provided, just a grubby fingered free for all. Also flies were very attracted to it Envy

AIBU or are they a bit yuck?! They look great, but I was really put off especially after kids went up first Grin

Grazing tables...
Grazing tables...
OP posts:
cantley · 18/10/2022 11:53

Hate them.
Hated them even before Covid.
People sticking their dirty hands in and touching the food. Makes me feel sick.
And the waste must be huge - all that food when people are hungry just thrown in the bin when it's left.

catmothertes1 · 18/10/2022 12:07

PorkPieAndAPickledOnion · 18/10/2022 08:52

Revolting. Everything mixed up, with wet foods making dry things soggy, flavours running between items. Your photos alone make me want to heave.

Same.

HappyChickenEggs · 18/10/2022 12:10

@Rosio I like a cheese board but don't know why the foods all have to touch 😬in your example, it looks colourful, but practically some of that brie will taste like pepperoni, IME just put them on plates/bowls.
When people have finished eating, do they scrape the food off the board into tupperware? Pick all the bits out to separate them and put them into separate containers? Only put out what will be eaten? Hope everyone has clean hands?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 18/10/2022 12:37

I'm actually quite reassured and surprised to discover that although I am a very greedy person and I love food, there are some limits even to my piggy instincts, as I would not be at all keen to eat from a messy grazing board like this, for reasons of hygiene and just not expecting it to taste very good. Classic example of style over substance. How many pictures make it to Instagram of the board a few minutes after people have started taking food from it?

PearlclutchersInc · 18/10/2022 12:41

@sausage767 Even 3 people is too many!!

DeanStockwelll · 18/10/2022 12:42

They look revolting ! I am not a fussy eater by any stretch but meat and cheese cake touching even before anyone starts in on ot nope not for me thanks.

The smaller one is fine as all of the things on there go together but even then I'd only want share with someone that trust to wsh there mitts.

Love 'put it on a plate' sooooo true !

user1471538283 · 18/10/2022 12:46

If it was just for people I knew I could eat them (we often share a large italian starter between us) but at an event or wedding, nah.

We all know that some people do not wash their hands!

Lesserspottedmama · 18/10/2022 12:47

I wouldn’t be concerned about hygiene particularly in the short space of time this would be laid out for but there is something a bit cringe about it. I like the less waste aspect. Hmm, not really sure how I feel. If they are trending on tiktok then I wouldn’t involve myself on principle as that’s just naff.

PorkPieAndAPickledOnion · 18/10/2022 13:00

Rosio · 18/10/2022 11:25

What about a small one for 2 or
4 people? 🤔 I think these aren't so bad?

If you were vegetarian, which bits of that would you be happy to eat?

AtleastitsnotMonday · 18/10/2022 13:25

upandmummin · 18/10/2022 09:33

Butter boards - basically a board covered in butter with things sprinkled over it. Also gaining popularity at the moment.

I've not seen these butter boards before. What are you supposed to do, spread the butter on crackers or bread or something? How is it served? With a knife? Spoon? I'm clearly not getting it!

Notagain12 · 18/10/2022 13:29

Went to a kids party recently with one on the table. It was HUGE and barely any of it was eaten! Looked lovely but in reality it wasn’t actually appealing and knowing kids had stuck their fingers in it really put me off!!

Rosio · 18/10/2022 13:40

PorkPieAndAPickledOnion · 18/10/2022 13:00

If you were vegetarian, which bits of that would you be happy to eat?

I'm.thinking of doing 2 small ones on Christmas Day as cheeseboards, one vegan one regular. There's no vegetarians just a vegan and a dairy intolerant who shares the vegan stuff (shared between 2 adults each)

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 18/10/2022 13:41

I am a simple person. If I organised a social event and invited a lot of people to attend, and told them food would be provided, I would expect to be paying for food that people would be happy to eat and that wouldn't make them ill. I would be hoping for an absolute minimum of waste at the end. These grazing tables and butter boards don't meet my criteria at all. Why would you want your guests to go hungry and pay a small fortune on catering that only gives you a picture for social media? I'd also be worried about people drinking alcohol with no food being eaten to soak it up.

VoiceaFromUranus · 18/10/2022 14:10

Much as I like a good buffet, I can only imagine the nightmare that would be after the kids had hammered it.

Be like a scene from "The Platform".

BrightYellowDaffodil · 18/10/2022 14:26

Small boards I can do. A cheeseboard between friends or choosing a sharing platter in a restaurant (when I can choose who I share it with) - bring it on. As much as possible. I bloody love food.

But even as someone who eats almost anything and is in no way a germphobe (I mean, I share an apple with my horse so my tolerance levels are quite high) I wouldn't want to eat from a grazing table. If I wouldn't share a plate with a random stranger - who may or may not let their just-picked-their-nose child also have a go - then a larger surface area is not going to change my mind.

<shudders>

As for butter boards, I can see the point to a degree if it's just butter with additional flavourings and garnishes that everyone uses a knife to take some from. In that respect it's no different to a butter dish. But for it to be like a communal dip? No, ta.

Just because it "looks good on Insta" doesn't mean that it's a good way to eat - the food waste actually makes me quite angry.

starfishmummy · 18/10/2022 14:33

Rosio · 18/10/2022 13:40

I'm.thinking of doing 2 small ones on Christmas Day as cheeseboards, one vegan one regular. There's no vegetarians just a vegan and a dairy intolerant who shares the vegan stuff (shared between 2 adults each)

That relies on the people eating not cross.co ta.i along because they want something off the vegan board.

I struggle when mil does a cheeseboard because there's always blue cheese and I'm allergic. One person in and all the cheeses and butter have blue cheese crumbs all over it.

Doesn't help that mil doesn't understand allergies and talks about me "not.liking" blue cheese rather than telling the others that I'm allergic!!

vera99 · 18/10/2022 14:41

Best Twitter account ever WE WANT PLATES

twitter.com/wewantplates

Grazing tables...
Grazing tables...
Grazing tables...
Grazing tables...
BrightYellowDaffodil · 18/10/2022 16:08

@vera99 I mean, how do you even start with the plant one? Does a waiter remove it like a cloche or do you just both sit there trying to talk round it?

xogossipgirlxo · 18/10/2022 16:21

Noooo. I don't mind smaller boards, I quite like cheese board and all this stuff, but this is too big.

Mentalpiece · 18/10/2022 16:30

Ugh. Looks like a Saturday night hangovers deep pan, no base. 🤮

tietheknot · 18/10/2022 17:19

Wedding manager of 10 years here. I hate grazing tables with a burning passion.

category12 · 18/10/2022 17:24

They're disgusting.

Lots of people don't wash their hands properly, so ick, yuk, nope, bleurgh.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Pumpkin20222 · 18/10/2022 17:30

Large ones are gross and a waste. Some look nice and I would make up a mini version at home to share with DP and DC.

vera99 · 18/10/2022 18:03

BrightYellowDaffodil · 18/10/2022 16:08

@vera99 I mean, how do you even start with the plant one? Does a waiter remove it like a cloche or do you just both sit there trying to talk round it?

It looks like a fake one - knives, forks and plates please and no more grazing tables.

Grazing tables...
Lincslady53 · 18/10/2022 18:07

One of the two people we employed was getting married. The other one gave us a tip for the buffet at the reception. 'Get to the buffet quick, before all the kids get their grubby mitts in it' i had never thought of it before, but keep this wisdom in mind whenever I go to a buffet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.