Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To sell childs figurines

81 replies

thinkingalways · 11/10/2022 15:17

Since our eldest was born a family member has given them Disney ceramic figurines for christmas/birthdays. We've now amounted quite a collection, all of which are stored in their boxes in the top of DC's wardrobe. They are decoration pieces and not toys, and we don't have anywhere to display them so feels a waste. Is it terribly ungrateful if I sell them on and buy DC something they'd like with the proceeds? I'm not a collector and I guess they've been given to be sentimental but seem a bit pointless to my minimalist self. I hate clutter so this may be clouding my judgement and deeming me incredibly unreasonable!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

242 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
SusanPerbCallMeSue · 11/10/2022 22:42

This is ridiculous. Going by the "they're not yours, you must keep them" then that means that every gift your child has been given must be kept. Which is a hell of a lot of stuff to keep for many years.

Get rid of them. Sell them, buy your child something she would actually cherish. Or put the money in savings for her until she can decide on something she wants.

ItsStardustBackAgain · 11/10/2022 23:00

I used to collect a particular type of plastic toy. Had loads. When I got “too old for toys” Mum sold them, despite my protests.

They would have been worth a lot of money now.

(More importantly, I loved them!)

They aren’t yours to sell, YABU.

thinkingalways · 12/10/2022 07:14

ItsStardustBackAgain · 11/10/2022 23:00

I used to collect a particular type of plastic toy. Had loads. When I got “too old for toys” Mum sold them, despite my protests.

They would have been worth a lot of money now.

(More importantly, I loved them!)

They aren’t yours to sell, YABU.

I think the difference here though is that my child doesn’t love them and has shown no interest. They are ceramic so can’t be played with. Yes they are away but when a new one is opened it’s looked at then put on the side and not liked at again until I tidy up and it’s added to the wardrobe collection!

I’ve decided to put them in the loft.

OP posts:
Figmentofimagination · 12/10/2022 12:12

If they are hallmark/enesco/Disney traditions then yes they are mass produced. You can even find them discounted lots at outlet stores and they are constantly being sold on Facebook Disney selling pages.

I would sell most of them and get your child something they would appreciate and use. The figurines will just sit on the shelf gathering dust or go into storage taking up space.

And this is coming from someone who does collect Disney figurines. But that is because I love them now. I probably wouldn't have been interested when I was younger. I had a few teddy figurines when I was little that I was never bothered about but my parents kept them out of obligation to the gifter, and eventually they went in the bin as I was careless and broke them.

savoycabbage · 12/10/2022 17:16

This is ridiculous. Going by the "they're not yours, you must keep them" then that means that every gift your child has been given must be kept. Which is a hell of a lot of stuff to keep for many years.

I know, can you imagine how much stuff you would have if you could never throw away something someone had given you. It's absolutely preposterous.

SparkyBlue · 12/10/2022 18:55

I remember getting some similar H samuels stuff when DD was born and again for her christening. I just gave it to a charity shop.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.