Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To sell childs figurines

81 replies

thinkingalways · 11/10/2022 15:17

Since our eldest was born a family member has given them Disney ceramic figurines for christmas/birthdays. We've now amounted quite a collection, all of which are stored in their boxes in the top of DC's wardrobe. They are decoration pieces and not toys, and we don't have anywhere to display them so feels a waste. Is it terribly ungrateful if I sell them on and buy DC something they'd like with the proceeds? I'm not a collector and I guess they've been given to be sentimental but seem a bit pointless to my minimalist self. I hate clutter so this may be clouding my judgement and deeming me incredibly unreasonable!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

242 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
HeadacheEarthquake · 11/10/2022 20:58

Box them up if DC isn't interested in them then let them decide when older what to do with them

Lesserspotteddogfish · 11/10/2022 21:03

NewNameNeededNow · 11/10/2022 18:14

How does the child know if they want them or not? It doesn’t sound like they’ve even been out on display.

The OP said the child has no interest in them.

FourChimneys · 11/10/2022 21:03

Hobbesmanc my mother did the same. I had loads but put them away when I went to university. They disappeared and I was upset for ages. Occasionally I see some in a charity shop and think I'll start another small collection but talk myself out of it.

OP, I would put them away for now and help your DD to decide when she is a bit older.

Mummyof287 · 11/10/2022 21:07

Lesserspotteddogfish · 11/10/2022 15:46

These answers are strange. If the child doesn’t use or want them any more I don’t see why you shouldn’t sell them, with their agreement, and buy something they do want. People do that all the time with old toys.

This! People are so funny about holding on to things unnecessarily! I am like you OP, a minimalist declutterer.As long as you have asked your child first (KS1 they are old enough to know what's happening) then sell them.NOT allowing the child to sell something that belongs to them if they so wish, to spend the money on something else they would prefer seems odd to me....us adults do it all the time! :-/ xx

QuillBill · 11/10/2022 21:11

Johnnysgirl · 11/10/2022 20:54

I can't believe the controversy I seem to have caused by suggesting some Disney figures could be put on a shelf in a kid's bedroom 😂😂😂
Of all things to have strong opinions on...

You are the one with the strong opinions on it surely.

People are saying 'of course you can get rid of them' and you think she should put something she doesn't want and her child isn't interested in on a shelf.

RoseGoldEagle · 11/10/2022 21:11

Get rid of them. No way should you feel that every single gift your DCs ever get bought has a definite permanent place in your home- you’d end up with way to much stuff. If your DC isn’t interested, sell them or give them away to someone who is.

RoseGoldEagle · 11/10/2022 21:12

too not to

AllThatHoopla · 11/10/2022 21:13

mondaytosunday · 11/10/2022 16:21

My son had a collection of those pop vinyl figures (mass produced). We eventually sold them on eBay, most for almost double their original cost. He wishes he kept some of them now.

So store things on top of a child's wardrobe so she can sell each one for almost twenty pounds on eBay.

Johnnysgirl · 11/10/2022 21:15

QuillBill · 11/10/2022 21:11

You are the one with the strong opinions on it surely.

People are saying 'of course you can get rid of them' and you think she should put something she doesn't want and her child isn't interested in on a shelf.

Well, not really. I asked op why she never has done this and she said because she had no shelf 😂, like this was an insurmountable obstacle.
Of course she can get rid if the child agrees.

Charcy · 11/10/2022 21:17

I duno, depends if your child knows about them. I'm 35 and know my parents still have a load of ornaments and bits in their loft from when I was little. I don't want personally want them, but I do want to be able to pass them to my own children. I don't think you should be the one to make the decision to sell.

bellocchild · 11/10/2022 21:20

They're Disney. Get rid of them and let her choose something worthwhile.

batshitballs · 11/10/2022 21:22

Sell them and tell the giver not to give you any more tat/dust magnets

Kanaloa · 11/10/2022 21:23

Exactly. Personally I only allow mini figurines of Mozart in my kids’ bedrooms. I’m not having them trash the place with stuff that isn’t worthwhile.

NeedMoMoney · 11/10/2022 21:34

You don't know how much things could increase in value, my mum got rid of all mine and my sister's Polly pockets when we were younger, the proper ones where the Polly's were teeny tiny! And the small sets can go for £40+ on eBay now! Just keep them stored in a container for when their older and let them decide.

VestaTilley · 11/10/2022 21:36

Keep them until your DC is old enough to decide for themselves - they were given to them, not you. They’re not yours to decide about.

cathycake · 11/10/2022 21:37

It depends whether the family member still keeps buying them to add to the tat collection
I totally understand and hate collections of things like that taking up room
Maybe box up and pop in attic with Christmas decorations and revisit the idea when DC is older
Loads of stuff on Ebay going for pence. I was gifted a Royal Doulton lady figurine many years (which I hated) and kept it in a box in the attic. It’s probably worth less now than what was paid for it.

Life has changed so much and ‘ornaments’ for most people are dust magnets.

CherryLongIsland · 11/10/2022 21:41

AllThatHoopla · 11/10/2022 20:51

Well, most people would have put them on a shelf . Is there any reason they can't be displayed in the child's room?

Would they! I cant remember when I last saw ornaments on a shelf. Maybe in that Colin and Justin programme where they always put three Granny Smiths in a row in every room they decorated. 🍏 🍏 🍏

My children shelves are full of toys and books. Things they actually use and that they like.

I'd forgotten about Justin and Colin GrinGrin

cathycake · 11/10/2022 21:44

After losing parents and grandparents please believe me when I say ‘passing onto the children’ sometimes isnt the best or the most thoughtful idea as they can be stuck with items they dislike but feel they cant discard and when they do they are left with guilt of doing so

If I hadn’t have been ‘ruthless’ and got rid of things like this I would be paying storage costs or being miserable not liking objects in my home
The giving of a gift is the thought but not the gift itself

Thecat19342 · 11/10/2022 21:51

Ohh tricky one OP. Speaking from experience I'd sell and buy something your dc needs / wants.

When I was a dc I was given TY beanie babies for every birthday / Christmas / Easter, all with their ear protectors on and they sat on several shelves in my bedroom unplayed with as they were 'collector items' and would be worth millions according to my lovely aunty ( who bought me them right up until my 16th birthday). I eventually stuffed them all into a box and stored them in various attics until I finally donated all 56 of them two years ago to a children's charity.

onethirtyfive · 11/10/2022 21:54

You are going to need to have a conversation with this relative either way because you're surely just only cutting one of Medusa's snakes if you ditch this lot because if you're child is only 6 then you'll be getting another one at Christmas.

You need to talk to the giver about how this is no longer a suitable present. Then chuck the existing ones in the loft and let your DC decide later about selling them.

BendingSpoons · 11/10/2022 21:57

Charcy · 11/10/2022 21:17

I duno, depends if your child knows about them. I'm 35 and know my parents still have a load of ornaments and bits in their loft from when I was little. I don't want personally want them, but I do want to be able to pass them to my own children. I don't think you should be the one to make the decision to sell.

Why do you want to pass on something you don't particularly like? Did you like them as a child? My mum insisted I took all my belongings once I had my own house, which was fair enough!

OP I would just sell them. I get frustrated by people giving what they want as gifts rather than what the recipient likes. I doubt your child will be upset in the future. If they are KS1 and you have 13, you are presumably getting one every birthday and Christmas. There could be lots more to come!

BendingSpoons · 11/10/2022 22:01

Thecat19342 · 11/10/2022 21:51

Ohh tricky one OP. Speaking from experience I'd sell and buy something your dc needs / wants.

When I was a dc I was given TY beanie babies for every birthday / Christmas / Easter, all with their ear protectors on and they sat on several shelves in my bedroom unplayed with as they were 'collector items' and would be worth millions according to my lovely aunty ( who bought me them right up until my 16th birthday). I eventually stuffed them all into a box and stored them in various attics until I finally donated all 56 of them two years ago to a children's charity.

I had lots of Beanie Babies but didn't have tag protectors and they got played with. My school friend was horrified as hers were all stored immaculately!

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Hobbesmanc · 11/10/2022 22:21

FourChimneys · 11/10/2022 21:03

Hobbesmanc my mother did the same. I had loads but put them away when I went to university. They disappeared and I was upset for ages. Occasionally I see some in a charity shop and think I'll start another small collection but talk myself out of it.

OP, I would put them away for now and help your DD to decide when she is a bit older.

I have had the odd eBay flirt. I was very fond of the hedgehog and have been tempted. I had some lovely little shelves I used to display them on.

Resisted though. Can you imagine the dusting.

Musti · 11/10/2022 22:24

In my experience kids will choose what characters they like. Mine have all liked whatever was popular at the time - Spider-Man, Elsa, peppa pig etc and at least with mine, it is usually short lived.

So I think if by KS1 they aren’t into the characters they never will be so better sell them and get them something they will enjoy.

Musti · 11/10/2022 22:27

Let them choose stuff they like. I gave away plenty of expensive stuff and kept Mac Donald’s toys that they played with.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.