Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To sell childs figurines

81 replies

thinkingalways · 11/10/2022 15:17

Since our eldest was born a family member has given them Disney ceramic figurines for christmas/birthdays. We've now amounted quite a collection, all of which are stored in their boxes in the top of DC's wardrobe. They are decoration pieces and not toys, and we don't have anywhere to display them so feels a waste. Is it terribly ungrateful if I sell them on and buy DC something they'd like with the proceeds? I'm not a collector and I guess they've been given to be sentimental but seem a bit pointless to my minimalist self. I hate clutter so this may be clouding my judgement and deeming me incredibly unreasonable!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

242 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
W0tnow · 11/10/2022 16:22

Annoying dust collectors. But yes, you have to keep them.

YouSirNeighMmmm · 11/10/2022 16:35

Adultchildofelderlyparents · 11/10/2022 15:29

They aren't your's, it's not your decision to make. Your child might grow up to treasure them!

Spot on - the adults in a house have absolutely no right to get rid of unwanted items that they don't have the space for. I spend my life collecting freecycle sofas and gifting them to the children of people I hate... and then they get lumped with storing sofas for years until the kids move out. Such a hilarous and effective trick to get one over on people.

EscapeTheCastle · 11/10/2022 16:38

I would keep maybe three of my favourite characters (only if I could display them) and sell the rest.

gogohmm · 11/10/2022 16:48

I would look up their value, make a decision once you have that information. It's not worth selling for literally £20 total but if worth a lot the money could be used for something worthwhile not just toys

Bobbins36 · 11/10/2022 17:04

Johnnysgirl · 11/10/2022 15:40

The person doesn't know, but I don't really know what we're expected to do with them other than store them
Well, most people would have put them on a shelf Confused. Is there any reason they can't be displayed in the child's room?

No way would I have displayed this sort of tat on a shelf 🤣

Worthyornot · 11/10/2022 17:12

I absolutely hate pointless tat like this. It doesn't seem valuable, so it's just tat. If your DC isn't bothered, I would sell and get them something they actually like. Sounds like dust magnets too, so even more reason to get rid.

Howeverdoyouneedme · 11/10/2022 17:18

Sell them on, absolute tat.

Alwayswonderedwhy · 11/10/2022 17:21

I would sell them if your child isn't bothered. It's difficult when people buy tat thinking it's your taste but if they don't visit often they probably won't question where they've gone.

AnotherCleftMum · 11/10/2022 17:42

I would find space in your new home to display one at a time and change which one is displayed every four weeks.

And I would try and encourage the relative to buy something else for your DD which she can enjoy more now. There are loads of Disney branded products so it shouldn't be hard for your relative to find something else they like and your DD will also like.

GingerbreadPanda · 11/10/2022 17:58

If it's not about the money (ie they're not valuable and you're not desperate) just let her play with them. Just because they're supposed to be display pieces doesn't mean they can't be toys as long as the child is old enough not to injure themselves. When one breaks either they're upset and you get the superglue out knowing that the gift wasn't a waste, or they're not bothered and it can go in the bin. My favourite doll growing up was a China doll, it clearly wasn't meant for playing with and ended up more glue than China, but it was loved and I felt very responsible being allowed something fragile.

elephantgrass · 11/10/2022 18:04

IMHO absolutely fine to sell them or pass them on - just like you would with any other toy or clothes they have grown out of or wasn't suitable. It's a shame when people spend on a gift and miss the mark, but it happens fairly often with kids' things. Far better that they have the money for something they actually want, or that they can give them to someone who wants them.

NewNameNeededNow · 11/10/2022 18:14

Lesserspotteddogfish · 11/10/2022 15:46

These answers are strange. If the child doesn’t use or want them any more I don’t see why you shouldn’t sell them, with their agreement, and buy something they do want. People do that all the time with old toys.

How does the child know if they want them or not? It doesn’t sound like they’ve even been out on display.

ThorsBedazzler · 11/10/2022 18:32

Ask the child if they want to keep three. Sell the rest.

Do not feel beholden to keep things just because someone gave them as a present. You'll end up with a house full of other people's style choices.

Hobbesmanc · 11/10/2022 18:37

I was devastated that at some point after I left home my mother got shot of my Wade Whimsies. But I was a seventies bookish child and everyone collected back then. There wasn't really much else to do 😏

Does the gifter ever visit? Would they be upset

Lincslady53 · 11/10/2022 18:46

Iwantmyoldnameback · 11/10/2022 15:22

They will increase in value and your child should be the one to decide when she's older.

I wouldn't bank on them increasing in value. Look at what Beanie Babies, Cabbage Patch dolls and other 'collectables' sell for. They would have been mass produced in China.

greenstrawberries · 11/10/2022 18:49

If your child isn’t interested in them, sell them and reclaim the space back in your house

AriettyHomily · 11/10/2022 18:53

Your child will end up moving them around in boxes to finally go to the charity shop or tip.

AnotherCleftMum · 11/10/2022 18:59

One of them will go up in value. Probably the one which gets broken.

The rest will probably be worth roughly what they are now and I don't think you will get what was paid for them back. Which to be honest is why I wouldn't sell them, because I think you would end up with very little once fees and postage are considered.

LynetteScavo · 11/10/2022 19:03

I don't think you can sell them yet - as you say they are worth very little. Your child may actually want them at some point. My DD has a whole box of "crap souvenirs Granny has brought back from around the world". If anyone else had given them to DD, she'd have got rid of them, but because they're from Granny she'll probably keep them forever.

But you need to make sure you don't receive anymore- have you had that conversation with the person giving them?

Pixiedust1234 · 11/10/2022 19:25

Doesn't matter what you think, they aren't yours.

Can you imagine the uproar if dh sold ops jewellery as she doesn't wear most of it and its cluttering up the home. What about if he sold ops chrstening mug etc?

Johnnysgirl · 11/10/2022 20:45

Bobbins36 · 11/10/2022 17:04

No way would I have displayed this sort of tat on a shelf 🤣

You wouldn't have allowed it in a young child's bedroom? Fair enough. Most kid's have something Disney related, it's quite normal Confused

Singleandproud · 11/10/2022 20:49

IKEA do a relatively cheap glass display case, put them. In there and they won't get dusty. If your child actually likes Disney then that is what I would do.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

AllThatHoopla · 11/10/2022 20:51

Well, most people would have put them on a shelf . Is there any reason they can't be displayed in the child's room?

Would they! I cant remember when I last saw ornaments on a shelf. Maybe in that Colin and Justin programme where they always put three Granny Smiths in a row in every room they decorated. 🍏 🍏 🍏

My children shelves are full of toys and books. Things they actually use and that they like.

Johnnysgirl · 11/10/2022 20:54

I can't believe the controversy I seem to have caused by suggesting some Disney figures could be put on a shelf in a kid's bedroom 😂😂😂
Of all things to have strong opinions on...

GelatoQueen · 11/10/2022 20:56

Sell them or give them away. I have got rid of lots of stuff bought for DS over the years but not loved... have a quiet world with the buyer and say your DC doesn't like disney. No more lego is my new rule as we have boxes of the stuff

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.