Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder about hugs

5 replies

Rosebyanothername19 · 10/10/2022 22:34

I used to hug people all the time! Give everyone a hug to say hi or bye or congratulations but now it feels awkward.

I know it's stupid and a repercussion of covid but I just feel like I'm stopping myself or feel awkward when people hug me.

Anyone else?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

8 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
50%
You are NOT being unreasonable
50%
tootyflooty · 11/05/2023 16:14

Do what feels natural, if you are hugging people who you have always hugged carry on, unless you sense they are uncomfortable. Think post Covid people have been starved of physical contact,

IamSmarticus · 11/05/2023 16:15

I've never been a hugger and always felt awkward when someone hugged me. I was glad when it stopped during covid, but it does seem to be creeping back in now!

KnittedCardi · 11/05/2023 16:25

We are very huggy as a family, and all my friends are huggers too. We never really stopped tbh, even during Covid, and when we were all allowed out, all of my friends and I had a big hug in, even though we weren't yet supposed to. Personally I couldn't live without hugs.

Ragwort · 11/05/2023 16:35

Hmm .. I loathe being hugged, fortunately I only have one friend who is a 'hugger'. If you like hugging how do you know if the other person really wants to hug? It can be very awkward.

MolkosTeenageAngst · 01/12/2023 22:29

I hug some friends but not others, generally based on whether they have ever initiated a hug with me or if I have seen them initiate/ accept hugs of others. I wouldn’t hug someone if I wasn’t sure whether they’d appreciate it as I know some people don’t like hugs!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.