Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Handwriting unintelligible due to computer use

31 replies

JemimaPuddledock · 10/10/2022 12:08

Has anyone lost their ability to hand write neatly due to computer use? I used to have lovely handwriting but it’s now a struggle to hold a pen correctly and the writing is a scrawl. I work on computers all day and do a lot of typing. I’m a bit gutted to be honest.
YABU - yes I now scrawl
YANBU - no I can still write beautifully

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

109 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
57%
You are NOT being unreasonable
43%
jay55 · 10/10/2022 13:58

I always had terrible handwriting. I just never got the hang of it.

SeptemberSon · 10/10/2022 14:01

I work in a comms role and still write everything longhand rather than type it (as in, if I'm writing an article or press release) and write my to do list daily. Keeps my fingers fit!

Alphabet1spaghetti2 · 10/10/2022 14:02

It’s like any skill, if you don’t practice, you lose it. Hand tiredness is simply due to not using the same configuration muscle when writing as you do when typing.

C8H10N4O2 · 10/10/2022 14:03

I need a third option - I scrawl, but I've always scrawled. I could blame it on keyboards now though 😀

ErrolTheDragon · 10/10/2022 14:27

C8H10N4O2 · 10/10/2022 14:03

I need a third option - I scrawl, but I've always scrawled. I could blame it on keyboards now though 😀

Similar, but mine is a worse scrawl than it used to be.

It doesn't help that I'm still good at doodling; I've got a bad habit of jotting down notes about really important bits in meetings, not very legibly, and then doodling around and sometimes over them.

JemimaPuddledock · 10/10/2022 15:18

I’m glad I’m not alone! Luckily I don’t need to hand write for anything more important than a birthday card but it’s a shame as I used to take great pride.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.