Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to make a doctors appointment?

16 replies

user8133434 · 06/10/2022 19:43

I had cold symptoms about three weeks ago, felt weak, tired and a sore throat. They lasted two days and then went. Just over a week later had the same symptoms again and they went. Now since Monday i have had a horrible cold, headaches, shivers, really bad sore throat, congestion, feeling sick.
The cough was really bad yesterday and I had phlegm stuck in my throat. Today the cough is much better but I feel so tired and finding my breathing is struggling.
I don't know if I should see a GP, Ive never had a recurring cold before.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

19 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
74%
You are NOT being unreasonable
26%
TimeSlipMushroom · 06/10/2022 19:45

Covid test?

user8133434 · 06/10/2022 19:56

all lft's negative

OP posts:
Newuser82 · 06/10/2022 20:06

Could be a chest infection?

Hbh17 · 06/10/2022 20:07

Please don't waste GP time about a cold (or, perhaps, a couple of consecutive colds).
They will tell you to wait for it to get better - there is nothing else they can do.
Just buy some Lemsip and crack on.

thepriceoffish · 06/10/2022 20:08

They might have a nurse practitioner?

user8133434 · 06/10/2022 20:40

Hbh17 · 06/10/2022 20:07

Please don't waste GP time about a cold (or, perhaps, a couple of consecutive colds).
They will tell you to wait for it to get better - there is nothing else they can do.
Just buy some Lemsip and crack on.

@Hbh17 Thats the thing i don't want to waste GP time and have been taking paracetamol to try and clear it. I am cracking on but don't know how long I should crack on for before seeking medical help. I don't want it to develop into something worse like an infection.

OP posts:
endofthelinefinally · 06/10/2022 20:42

See the nurse. The nurse will do all the basic checks and will ask the doctor to see you if necessary.

TroysMammy · 06/10/2022 20:49

If you are ill contact your GP. I've put people on the GPs call back list for less. Sometimes they've only been ill for a day.

Worthyornot · 06/10/2022 20:56

I have called my gp for much less. I don't get this attitude of being extremely ill to justify the need for a doctor.

Worthyornot · 06/10/2022 20:57

Should add this is gp through private medical but I wouldn't hesitate with nhs gp as well.

AlwaysAuntie · 06/10/2022 21:02

Call your GP, if they're like mine you'll get a call back. The doctor heard my cough (sounds like I've been smoking 40 a day since birth) and because the cough followed from Covid he sent antibiotics and steroid prescription to pharmacy. Cough did improve a bit, still very breathless though. Called dr again and saw her face to face today. Got inhaler to help and gotta monitor symptoms. Receptionist called earlier to book me in for an ECG as well, there's a concern about my pulse rate.

LetMeSpeak · 06/10/2022 21:07

If you are in you 20s/30s there is not need imho. I seen my gp in years. Definitely not since covid struck. By the time you get your appointment your cold will have gone away taken a place of much more vulnerable people

LetMeSpeak · 06/10/2022 21:07

If it’s really bad then go into the walk-in gp

Foxinmygarden · 06/10/2022 21:11

If you are feeling breathless then yes, you should seek medical advice

Cantthinkofanewnameatm · 06/10/2022 21:15

There are some vile colds doing the rounds. Think it was on R2 Jeremy Vine this week.
Try steam. Lots and lots of it.
Cut out all dairy, it increases phlegm.
Drink hot water with lemon and honey, or hot squash. Drink loads of water.
Take 2 x paracetamol up to 4 times in 24 hours.
More steam!!!
You’ll need antibiotics only if you have a chest infection, they’ll not do anything for a viral infection.
If anyone can get you one of those finger oxygen meters you can check your oxygen levels.
Hope you feel better soon.

endofthelinefinally · 06/10/2022 22:09

Cantthinkofanewnameatm · 06/10/2022 21:15

There are some vile colds doing the rounds. Think it was on R2 Jeremy Vine this week.
Try steam. Lots and lots of it.
Cut out all dairy, it increases phlegm.
Drink hot water with lemon and honey, or hot squash. Drink loads of water.
Take 2 x paracetamol up to 4 times in 24 hours.
More steam!!!
You’ll need antibiotics only if you have a chest infection, they’ll not do anything for a viral infection.
If anyone can get you one of those finger oxygen meters you can check your oxygen levels.
Hope you feel better soon.

You can get one from Amazon. About £40 is the price of a good one. Good idea to have in the house now we have covid and flu to deal with.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.