Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think renting as single mum is horrific

320 replies

Blueysmum12 · 05/10/2022 11:57

My bff is a single mum to two young boys. She works in a nursery and gets universal credits. She has a small dog who she got when she split with her husband and is her baby.

she’s lived in the same house for 6 years, rent paid every month on time etc.

the owner is selling their house and obviously she has to move. Between us we have rang 40 properties in this town and surrounding villages. Not one will accept her because she’s either on in universal credits and she has a dog.

the council rang today and said they suggest she takes anything and rehomes her dog because they will put her in a bnb for around 8 months.

I would have her dog, but I have a cat and a dog and 3 kids already, my husband isn’t keen.

I feel so bad for her. She’s lost weight, she looks an anxious mess.

:(

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Poppasocks · 05/10/2022 12:00

It is horrific :( are they saying 8 months until they can find her something with the council? That's actually quite quick compared to some areas! Hope she gets sorted though

Please
or

Eudaimonia5 · 05/10/2022 12:06

It's awful. I was in a similar predicament last year. I kept being rejected for basic 2 bed flats. One income from a single parent versus two full time incomes from a couple - well the landlord is always going to choose the couple. I also fell down on affordability, they said I couldn't afford the high rent even though every single flat within a 5 mile radius is either the same price or more expensive!

I ended up having to pay a full year of rent up front and this is what I will have to do each year. It wiped out my savings so I'm pretty screwed now.

Can your friend offer to pay upfront? It's shit but it might be her only option.

Renting as a single parent is so hard, it's completely unfair.

Please
or

Royalbloo · 05/10/2022 12:07

Doesn't sound like it's "renting" that's horrific, rather renting in her circumstances.

Please
or

Royalbloo · 05/10/2022 12:08

To add, I'm a single Mum who also rents

Please
or

MintJulia · 05/10/2022 12:09

It isn't just single mums. Renters generally are having a torrid time. A housing shortage and rising mortgage rates means rents go up. Changes to tax rules mean fewer people want to be landlords.

She just needs to keep looking. 🙁

Please
or

Faithin · 05/10/2022 12:11

They can't put her in a b&b for 8 months- they can only put families with children in b&b accommodation in an emergency and they then will put her in temporary accommodation which wil be a self contained property (usually a flat) whilst she waits to be rehoused.
they won't take the dog into account though so she might need to find someone to possibly foster the dog or a friend to look after it.

Please
or

Softleftpowerstance · 05/10/2022 12:12

Renting is horrific and housing in this country is a mess. But she has to get rid of the dog, her actual babies should be her priority.

Please
or

WhenISnappedAndFarted · 05/10/2022 12:16

It isn't just single Mums, it's renters in general.

Please
or

HangOnToYourself · 05/10/2022 12:17

What has this got to do with her being a single mum? The issues are universal credit and he dog not her parental status (I say that as a single mum btw)

Please
or

Buckland123 · 05/10/2022 12:19

She needs to get rid of the dog. It’s just the way it is. I wouldn’t want to rent a house out to someone with a dog (& I have a dog) - they smell and make a mess in the garden. She’s not in a position to be fussy unfortunately.

Please
or

arethereanyleftatall · 05/10/2022 12:23

Your poor friend.

From the landlords perspective though, it's their house, and their choice what risks they take.

Please
or

Blueysmum12 · 05/10/2022 12:24

Actually yes it is about being a single mum, one estate agents said that the owner has a “no single parent” Claus in her mortgage.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Softleftpowerstance · 05/10/2022 12:25

Actually yes it is about being a single mum, one estate agents said that the owner has a “no single parent” Claus in her mortgage.

That will be a lie. Lenders don’t have such clauses. Most have even stopped outright bans on benefits.

Please
or

aniamana · 05/10/2022 12:28

@Softleftpowerstance even though there are official rules around not renting to people on benefits, in reality it's really hard to prove that you've been discriminated against if they turn you down. really it's up to the owner who they decide to rent to and a lot of them quietly just turn down people on benefits giving no reason at all, choosing someone preferable. And it's not provable that they discriminated unless they said it was a reason, which obviously they wouldn't do because it's against the law.

Please
or

fyn · 05/10/2022 12:28

Have you tried local large landowners - National Trust, private country estates, forestry commission etc… all are much more likely to take pets

Please
or

SpinningFloppa · 05/10/2022 12:29

8 months is quick, in my council it’s around 10 years, I think it’s her own issue if she doesn’t want to wait 8 months!

Please
or

Softleftpowerstance · 05/10/2022 12:30

aniamana · 05/10/2022 12:28

@Softleftpowerstance even though there are official rules around not renting to people on benefits, in reality it's really hard to prove that you've been discriminated against if they turn you down. really it's up to the owner who they decide to rent to and a lot of them quietly just turn down people on benefits giving no reason at all, choosing someone preferable. And it's not provable that they discriminated unless they said it was a reason, which obviously they wouldn't do because it's against the law.

Agreed, but that’s a world away from lenders having outright clauses in mortgage conditions, which is what’s claimed here.

Please
or

HangOnToYourself · 05/10/2022 12:31

I cant imagine that is true

Please
or

strugglingmum82 · 05/10/2022 12:32

I'm sure they're not allowed to say no dss/UC anymore

Please
or

Mybumlooksbig · 05/10/2022 12:33

I feel her pain as a fellow renter.
Gumtree and Open rent are great for finding a private landlord.
Don't mention the dog at viewingsmaybe? 🤐

Please
or

MissMaple82 · 05/10/2022 12:36

I didnt think landlords were allowed to fo that anymore? I thought a new law prevented it. Is she on the social housing register?

Please
or

whynotwhatknot · 05/10/2022 12:38

I thought they werent allowed to say no pets anymore-although theres ways round that they just say someone else was more suitable i guess
it will be easier without the dog isnt there any family that could take it in

Please
or

MissMaple82 · 05/10/2022 12:39

I'd contact dog rescues, sometimes people foster until in appropriate accommodation.

Please
or

redredwineub40 · 05/10/2022 12:39

It's the dog too - I had a really hard time trying to find a new rental with a dog, 19 agencies then paid through the nose for a place with destroyed carpets they billed me a lot extra to clean when we left as well.

I hope she gets a break soon sounds awful. A friend renting had to give up her dog as neighbours complained endlessly about barking.

Please
or

Faithin · 05/10/2022 12:39

strugglingmum82 · 05/10/2022 12:32

I'm sure they're not allowed to say no dss/UC anymore

They're not allowed to but realistically they can and do still say no to people because they receive universal credit.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?