Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To wonder how you cover school holidays with no family?

274 replies

LivingMyBestLie · 04/10/2022 18:43

There are around 14 weeks of school holidays per year and I have three children (two primary school age, one 1yr old).

AIBU to think it's impossible to cover school holidays with no family childcare?!

For reference my partner gets 30 days annual leave a year, I get 15 (pro rata). I work 3 days per week.

Please tell me how you do it!?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Jemimapuddleduk · 04/10/2022 18:44

Holiday clubs

Please
or

unicornsinspace · 04/10/2022 18:44

We are in the same situation, I've only just gone back to work after 8 years off and I've had to get a term time job. We refuse to pay what would be more than one monthly wage for childcare, it's ridiculous.

Please
or

cloverleafy · 04/10/2022 18:44

Pay for childcare

Please
or

Pinkishpurple · 04/10/2022 18:45

Term time only job in a school

Please
or

AffectiveFilter · 04/10/2022 18:45

Pay

Please
or

Comedycook · 04/10/2022 18:47

I stopped working

Not helpful I know!

Well I guess you and your DH use your annual leave and then holiday clubs...the one which are a full day long are expensive and imo it's not much of a rest for the kids but what can you do?

Please
or

Numbat2022 · 04/10/2022 18:47

Doesn't your school have holiday clubs? They'll be cheaper than the one year old's nursery fees!

Please
or

BigFluffyHair · 04/10/2022 18:47

Holiday clubs. 800 - 1k a summer for 2 kids. But you wouldn't need as much to cover 3 days a week. Sometimes work from home with them on a Friday, but they are older then yours and I like them to do things rather then TV. We budget for it year round. Usually have a holiday club for one of the half terms too and Easter. We have 30 days each.

Please
or

PayPennies · 04/10/2022 18:47

I don’t really understand this post. Obviously you pay for childcare. Our parents are respectively an hour away and two continents away and we have paid for full-time childcare for two children from when they were six months old

Please
or

LivingMyBestLie · 04/10/2022 18:47

I'm in the South East, what's the rough daily price of a holiday club?

I'm trying to work out how I'd manage an all-year round job but can't make the figures add up!

Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

SudocremOnEverything · 04/10/2022 18:47

It’s pretty obvious that the answer is to pay for childcare. It’s just how it is.

Please
or

sittingonacornflake · 04/10/2022 18:48

Holiday clubs. Working flexibly on the odd day (I.e WFH with children around)

Please
or

StillTryingtoBuy · 04/10/2022 18:48

Who normally minds your one year old?

We have no family help and do a mix of annual leave, swapping childcare with other families (only really works smoothly once kids are 5+ in my experience), holiday camps (you can usually use any primary school camp rather than just ones offered by your school. Ours is £25 per day, in London) and juggling kids and work (not really sustainable for more than a day or two, depends on your kids and their age and your job too.)

When kids were pre-school age their usual childminder had them during school holidays.

Please
or

HandScreen · 04/10/2022 18:49

Holiday clubs are about £30 per child for a full day (8.30-6) or about £25 for a shorter day (9-3.30).

Please
or

Stickworm · 04/10/2022 18:49

There are two popular holiday clubs near me, one is £20 a day and one is £40 a day. The £40 a day has an extra hour at the end (9-4 instead of 9-3).

Please
or

Stickworm · 04/10/2022 18:50

But YANBU OP! My daughter is 5 and son is 2 and summer holidays were a nightmare I nearly had a breakdown 🤣

Please
or

HandScreen · 04/10/2022 18:50

You get 20% off through the gov childcare scheme

Please
or

Comedycook · 04/10/2022 18:50

LivingMyBestLie · 04/10/2022 18:47

I'm in the South East, what's the rough daily price of a holiday club?

I'm trying to work out how I'd manage an all-year round job but can't make the figures add up!

Thanks

My dc school have a holiday club but it's only open 9-3. It's cheap at £10 a day. I found one near me which did 8.30-6..but it was about £50 a day...! I think there are cheaper though.

Please
or

LivingMyBestLie · 04/10/2022 18:50

SudocremOnEverything · 04/10/2022 18:47

It’s pretty obvious that the answer is to pay for childcare. It’s just how it is.

It's obvious is it?!

I'm trying to make the figures stack up. I would earn under £30k FTE and therefore I don't even know if it would be worth it.

Obviously in the long run, but thinking about the next 5 years or so.

OP's posts:
Please
or

cptartapp · 04/10/2022 18:52

Opposite annual leave covers half of it.
Holiday clubs/childminders/reciprocal cover with other parents for the other half.

Please
or

MinervaTerrathorn · 04/10/2022 18:52

DS went to holiday care. Overseas, so better hours than here, often available 6:30 to 18:30, government subsidised for low earners. From age 11 I had to split up my four weeks holiday to cover school holidays as best as I could. Usually a week to go away and then midweek days here and there so he wasn't home alone for a full week. He met up with friends on some days I was working.

Please
or

Midnights · 04/10/2022 18:52

We went to holiday clubs as children 🤷🏻‍♀️ no family within a flights distance and three of us!

Please
or

PastMyBestBeforeDate · 04/10/2022 18:52

We had a super flexible childminder.

Please
or

NoseyNellie · 04/10/2022 18:52

Term time job

Please
or

EllieQ · 04/10/2022 18:53

You and DH use your leave to cover part of the holidays, and use holiday clubs for the rest. Surely that’s obvious?

The key thing for us was finding a school with before/ after school care and a decent holiday club (8-6, not 10-3 like some of the sports/ activity based clubs round here).

Holiday club costs £32 per day here (Yorkshire) including food. Cheaper than nursery fees were!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?