Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Buying house next to a pub

51 replies

Quaggainexcelsius · 01/10/2022 21:13

So I can make as much noise as I like?
Do you think this is a good idea? I'm very tolerant to noise so wouldn't be kept awake or bothered by it. Can anyone see a downside. It's cheap too. Pub is nice one with good food not a spoons!

OP posts:
Grandeur · 01/10/2022 21:16

Why does this mean you can make as much noise as you like?

Buzzer3555 · 01/10/2022 21:19

It wouldn't bother me. Might make it harder to sell?

bathorshower · 01/10/2022 21:19

We used to live a few doors down from a pub - a nice one (had been non-smoking when most weren't). Although those who went were mostly mildly merry when they left, a few were definitely the worse for wear, and there was occasional damage to property, e.g. our car wing mirror was damaged. Unless you're rural (so most people leaving in a car/taxi), you'll possibly get the same - we were very urban.

Imissmoominmama · 01/10/2022 21:20

I’m currently listening to someone murder a Bruce Springsteen song in the pub next door.

I’ve kind of got used to it now, but I do get annoyed when drunk people are screeching in the street.

Small market town- probably worse than in a big town because there’s not much else to do.

frangipani13 · 01/10/2022 21:20

My friends live next to a pub, the noise isn’t the issue it’s the pissed up few who think it’s funny to knock on their door at 2am, steal their Christmas wreath, leave empties on their doorstep or bang on the door demanding to use the phone/ring the police as they can’t get home. Granted it’s not that often but it would absolutely annoy the crap out of me.

StoneofDestiny · 01/10/2022 21:21

possible:
Drunks falling out the door, car doors slamming, people outside your house talking loudly after pub closes, glasses left on your garden wall, noise from beer garden.

however - maybe it's a lovely quiet pub with civilised clientele.

alloutoflunchideas · 01/10/2022 21:21

I’d be concerned about resale value so depends how long you’d be living there

Arenanewbie · 01/10/2022 21:23

I wouldn’t even go for a viewing.

DelilahBucket · 01/10/2022 21:23

We bought a house next to a pub. All fine until a new landlord started Friday night £1 drinks and karaoke until 2am (against the licensing rules). Scrapping in the street, urinating on our drive, people breaking into the cellar. Was a right battle. Fortunately it's a lovely Italian restaurant now, but it was Hell. Said landlord came back a few years after and did the same again too. I'd never move near a pub again.

Kingstonmumof1 · 01/10/2022 21:25

Lived near a pub before. Soooo noisy in summer with everyone outside, couldn't even watch TV in the living room. In winter quiet throughout the evening but then v v noisy at closing time when everyone is saying their goodbyes outside/waiting for taxis etc.

MinnyMous · 01/10/2022 21:26

Never again.

DFOD · 01/10/2022 21:26

We lived in a beautiful hamlet around the corner from a lovely old quiet pub - until the summer weekends when it became a destination pub as had huge garden and the car parking choked the lanes. Nice clientele but wouldn’t buy there again.

Barleysugar86 · 01/10/2022 21:32

I live opposite a community pub. I love it, the landlord has become a good friend and has given us some ice cubes in the summer and free milk once coming home late from holiday when the little shops were closed. When I locked myself out I was able to pop in to use the loo and get a drink and keep an eye out the window for my husband.

I occasionally hear people leaving but its just general pleasant chatter on the whole. When there is a big football match on I can tell when we score because of the cheers.

Most of the time I barely even register its there.

SkirridHill · 01/10/2022 21:34

Nope. Lived on the same street as a pub. I'd never do it again. Glasses launched over the wall into the back garden, people urinating on the doorstep. Couldn't have anything outside the front of the property because people would just kick it to death. The noise wasn't the half of it.

BookwormButNoTime · 01/10/2022 21:43

People sitting on our doorstep using it as an extension of the front outside drinking area was a common occurrence. Quite often they were also smoking and / or on their phone. They then very kindly left their empties on the step for us to fall over.

Urine, vomit and poo (“only” twice but definitely human as they left the tissues they’d left for wiping their arse too) in our garden.

The noise wasn’t too disruptive but never again. This was a naice pub in a posh market town.

matthancockslovechild · 01/10/2022 21:44

If its a pub in a residential area it will be fine. People just leave the pub and go home. Presumably no taxi rank or kebab house which would mean people would hang around?

How long have current owners lived there? If its a long time then it shows there are no issues.

Economic downturn also means pub could close in near future and you will have got a bargain!

Merryoldgoat · 01/10/2022 21:45

I’ve lived 3 doors from a pub for 8 years and it’s been fine. I think it’s been maybe 3/4 occasions it’s been a BIT noisy.

PyongyangKipperbang · 01/10/2022 22:41

Lived opposite a pub and the 6 week Saturday night soap opera that played out on the street once was gold! She gave Him a going over as He was cheating on her with "that slapper". Her and the That Slapper had a fight. Following week Her and Him were fighting as He had said he wasnt still shagging That Slapper but apparently was (well I say fighting.....He was mainly defending). Then Her and That Slapper where at it again. Then That Slapper and Him were fighting as He was still shagging Her. Then That Slapper was kicking the crap out of Her as He was still shagging them both. Then Her and Him where both yelling at That Slapper as she was still after Him.

I dont really know after that as it quietened down, but what I couldnt get my head around was that He had more eyes than teeth and more teeth than brain cells.....they could both have done a hell of a lot better!

Pub got knocked down a few years later so I have never had the resale issue although I think their NDN's did as their place was up for a couple of years.

glamourousindierockandroll · 01/10/2022 22:46

There would be no chance for me. Arguments in the street, empty glasses left on my wall, loud laughing and messing about. No thank you.

Blocked · 01/10/2022 22:49

I used to live on a row of houses down a little lane beside a pub. Once somebody shit beside my bin and threw their shitty underpants that they must have used to wipe their arse into my bin.

Tangled123 · 01/10/2022 22:53

We live close enough to a pub to be able to hear the drunk people and the music, but not close enough that a TV doesn’t drown it all out. Our house is also positioned out of the way so the drunk people don’t come near us either.
I wouldn’t recommend living near a pub if you like quiet but, as it’s the only thing I don’t like about my house, I deal with it. No house is perfect and at least the neighbourhood kids here are quiet.

unfunnytopicalusername · 01/10/2022 22:54

Used to live in a flat next to a pub. It was fine most of the time but it absolutely put people off when we were selling, we even had people turn up for viewings who'd walk away without coming inside once they realised it was next to it, or cancel viewings once they'd streetviewed it. Sectarian songs in the beer garden on match days and karaoke with the doors open in summer were pretty shitty though.

LeggyLinda · 01/10/2022 23:00

Nope.
We moved back in to our home village a few years back. The only suitable place available was next to the village pub.

We recalled the village pub as a quiet and friendly place. Any additional disturbances would be few and far between; and involve people we know. So we were happy.

But, no. It has become nightmare. Every night is a struggle to sleep with drunken people making noise. Every morning we have to fish out and clean garden of discarded bottles. It’s an absolute nightmare.

We are on good terms with the landlord and he does his best - and also gives us a free Sunday lunch most weeks as compensation. But, unless you have another reason to buy this house I would generally advise against it.

we have a school on the other side who always approach us as potential witnesses for drunk drivers who have caused (or exacerbated) traffic issues.

we love our home. But, please be aware that living next to a pub eats into your personal time.
Even if you can take the noise, unruly behaviour and parking issues. And this is a “quieter” village pub.

unless you absolutely adore the house, have links to the area; or are stupid, I would not buy next to a. pub.

we suffer bad. But, are considerably better off than anyone else who moved in next to a pub.
We use the pub occasionally and have a good relationship with the landlord. But if you don’t have this expect noise, hassle and police visits on a regular basis.

Treacletoots · 01/10/2022 23:00

We used to live next door but one to a local pub in a very posh village. Honestly not a problem and more beneficial for us being so close.

However once a year they held a festival in their garden. The whole village could hear it. So obviously we felt like we were at a concert! Not a problem until we had a baby...

humdingle · 01/10/2022 23:05

Well yes there are lots of downsides. But it seems your main motivation is that you can make a lot of noise, what about the other neighbours? Won’t you cause disturbance to them if not the pub? We lived almost next to a pub for a while. Some nights it was terrible, other nights it was unnoticeable. Drunk people are loud and annoying though.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.