Am I being unreasonable?

226 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
81%
You are NOT being unreasonable
19%
TwoWrightFeet · 02/10/2022 18:40

I’ve had no need to lie on my CV. Still been able to have successful career. One based on integrity.

Anon778833 · 02/10/2022 21:09

There is nothing more tedious, and less moral in my experience, than those who spend their time being judgemental and bleating about how holier-than-thou they are.

Oh I see, my mistake. Honesty and integrity are immoral and tedious(!) The cheats are to be applauded for their shitty ethics.

If you cheat your way through life then don’t expect a pat on the back.

Some people feel entitled to get things that they haven’t earned.

AuntSalli · 02/10/2022 21:38

I have far more experience of people lying on job descriptions than I do on CVs.
The last three roles I have been recruited for have all been absolute fairytales in terms of the clients documented expectations versus reality.
I presume karma will catch up with them to compensate me in someway for the lost opportunity that I suffered whilst pissing around in their organisations ?

CityKity · 02/10/2022 21:38

My closest friend massaged details on her CV to get a job, along the lines of ‘managed portfolio of X-million, when in reality she was on a project of that sum which someone else managed. She’s brilliantly smart regardless, got the job, doubled her salary into silly money territory and is smashing it at her new job.

Im on the fence. Morally I think it’s wrong, and if I’m honest part of me judges her decision to massage the truth, but on the other hand she’s in a heavily male sector and I have no doubt several of her male coworkers have done the same to get to where they are now. The balance is already so heavily weighted against woman in some sectors I’m not surprised she did it.

Fairislefandango · 02/10/2022 21:48

I've never lied on a job application! I'm a teacher, so it tends to be covering letter plus application form, which wants all your qualifications including all GCSE grades, regardless of how many qualifications you've got since. Tbh it has never occurred to me for a moment to lie about my qualifications.

Anorack · 03/10/2022 06:43

All this new found honesty and integrity had me wondering if I am on the wrong board

Seriously? Considering how people on AIBU often talk to each other - these same posters are now moralistic?

Shut the front door

So many people lying on here - lying on the board and lying to themselves

The same person who talks to someone like shite on one thread, is not the type of person who would take issue with lying on a CV

CityKity · 02/10/2022 21:38

My closest friend massaged details on her CV to get a job, along the lines of ‘managed portfolio of X-million, when in reality she was on a project of that sum which someone else managed. She’s brilliantly smart regardless, got the job, doubled her salary into silly money territory and is smashing it at her new job.

Im on the fence. Morally I think it’s wrong, and if I’m honest part of me judges her decision to massage the truth, but on the other hand she’s in a heavily male sector and I have no doubt several of her male coworkers have done the same to get to where they are now. The balance is already so heavily weighted against woman in some sectors I’m not surprised she did it.

Why do you need to be on the fence? Did she ask you to pass judgement?

SudocremOnEverything · 03/10/2022 06:52

All this new found honesty and integrity had me wondering if I am on the wrong board

Seriously? Considering how people on AIBU often talk to each other - these same posters are now moralistic?

Shut the front door

So many people lying on here - lying on the board and lying to themselves

The same person who talks to someone like shite on one thread, is not the type of person who would take issue with lying on a CV

I’m not sure everyone has been moralistic. Lots of posters don’t lie on their CV because they simply have no reason to.

In my case, that doesn’t mean I’m amazing or that I get every job I apply for. It just means that I don’t have any reason to make up my CV and doing so would make job interviews harder rather than easier. I can’t be keeping track of my own lies as I try to answer questions.

It might feel different if I were contending with a big CV gap that can’t easily be explained in a way that doesn’t sound terrible or something. But, even then, I would be useless at trying to maintain the story (or even remember it) in an interview. So I don’t think it would help me.

Yucca78 · 03/10/2022 06:54

I have far more experience of people lying on job descriptions than I do on CVs.
The last three roles I have been recruited for have all been absolute fairytales in terms of the clients documented expectations versus reality.
I presume karma will catch up with them to compensate me in someway for the lost opportunity that I suffered whilst pissing around in their organisations ?

This is so true....in my experience job descriptions and the actual job are very different!

Franticbutterfly · 03/10/2022 07:49

No.

CityKity · 03/10/2022 07:52

Why do you need to be on the fence? Did she ask you to pass judgement?

Well yes, we talk about work a lot and she brought up her CV change and wanted reassurance, which I gave her based on my earlier post. Judging her decision in private only in so far as I haven’t needed to do that same myself and I don’t think I would to them same.

knittingaddict · 03/10/2022 07:53

No, never.

LunchBoxPolice · 03/10/2022 09:21

I’ve extended some dates on jobs from a long time ago to fill in gaps. I also have my GCSE’s listed as 9 graded A-C which is true, but only one of them is an A.

snowspider · 03/10/2022 09:35

This would make a thread debate in itself, and jobs that are so work load heavy that they can't possibly be done in the paid hours and the interviewer when asked says of course we wouldn't expect you to come in hours earlier or stay hours later but in practice they do and penalise you if you try to only work the hours, and if you put in the work and exceed your targets as a reward the targets become higher. And not telling the truth about why the previous postholder left. And advertising a pay band of eg 23k to 28k and then offering a very well qualified and experienced applicant the job at 22k because the post doesn't merit the higher salary (just had that experience)

Ragwort · 03/10/2022 09:57

If qualifications & skills are essential to a role then surely the interviewer should 'test' the skills. My DH was in sales for years and always used to ask candidates to answer a basic question along the lines 'what would an X% discount on Y order be?' .... surprising how many people couldn't work it out despite an A level Maths. Hmm

RampantIvy · 03/10/2022 09:58

I agree that a lot of jobs are missold.

burnoutbabe · 03/10/2022 10:02

well i SAY i am a hard working, pro-active proffessional but here i am at 10am watching masterchef (don't start working until 10.30 so i shall turn laptop on at 10.29)

Does that count as lying :D

SudocremOnEverything · 03/10/2022 14:55

Having said that I don’t lie on my CV (and I don’t), I’ve just realised that my employer very much does spin my CV to an absurd degree for their own purposes. I just got sent one sales did for me and laughed at quite how much of it is actual rubbish. At no point have I ever pretended that I have any experience of half of this stuff.

I emailed back with some corrections but I doubt it’ll make any difference. Let’s hope no client is expecting me to do the stuff claimed at any point. They will be disappointed!

ParentallyUnprepared · 04/10/2022 15:09

ParentallyUnprepared · 01/10/2022 07:49

Yes.

I put better GCSE grades than I actually got, but I'm not sure they're relevant now anyway and I would probably take them off (if I haven't already, it's been a long time since I've needed my CV).

Checked out of curiosity and I've taken my GCSE results off so no more lies on my CV.

Xenia · 04/10/2022 15:46

Law firms check, not that I would ever lie on a CV anyway and mine is pretty good so I don't need to lie about things. Many other types of jobs check too - eg if you say you are a doctor they are not going to let you loose operating on patients - they will check. Same if you are a van driver - they check you have the right driving licence. I do not know why anyone could argue it is fine to life on a CV - genuinely don't. yet there is a massive gulf on this thread between the liars and the honest. I wonder if it is to do with the demise of religious belief in the UK and some people are growing up in homes where people think it is fine to lie and cheat.

SleeplessInEngland · 04/10/2022 16:02

It is interesting why no one is asking themselves why people might lie on their CV and whether there really is always a negative impact on the company if someone does that...

For all overreaction on here, many people embellish or fib on CVs and get away it just fine

I haven't as I've been in the same job for longer than I care to admit, but you can bet when I start looking again I'll be exaggerating certain responsibilities. I'm not applying to work on a nuclear sub.

BasiliskStare · 04/10/2022 17:12

@Xenia I am not sure it has anything to do with religious belief but I think some people are intrinsically honest and some aren't. I have a friend who has done things I would never do in a million years ( and some to do with tax which is very very silly because the repercussions could be very onerous ) But she got away with it so thinks it is fine.

What I think is OK on a CV is to phrase it to put what you did in the best light. (The interview will probably weed anything out you aren't good at ) Putting down qualifications you do not have is not OK nor in my book is making up jobs you did not do.

My DH is 60 ish now. He was asked to produce his degree certificate once. Could we find it - no. We suspect he left it at his parents and it was binned during probate clearcut. But he has the degree. He rang the University who said "we don't keep records that far back " Luckily the interviewer could tell he knew what he knew and didn't follow it up - HR did but when he explained they said OK that's fine ( because of the amount of time ) - but if it were required he has exactly the degree he told them he did and am sure with much effort could prove it. I was confirmed as an adult & when I was asked to produce my certificate of baptism. Don't have it When I told them how old I was and described the church - they were fine.

But I do not think religious belief is a signifier of honesty of itself. . Some people are and some are not.

As I said both DH and I have had to let people go because of lying on their CV. I guess it somewhat depends on the sort of job whether it can be overlooked or not.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Elphame · 06/10/2022 16:34

Nothing whatsoever to do with religious belief and it's quite insulting to imply that non- believers have a lower moral code.

JesusMaryAndJosephAndTheWeeDon · 06/10/2022 16:44

You should never ever lie. However being careful about what details you include is fine.

Kanaloa · 06/10/2022 16:46

Xenia · 04/10/2022 15:46

Law firms check, not that I would ever lie on a CV anyway and mine is pretty good so I don't need to lie about things. Many other types of jobs check too - eg if you say you are a doctor they are not going to let you loose operating on patients - they will check. Same if you are a van driver - they check you have the right driving licence. I do not know why anyone could argue it is fine to life on a CV - genuinely don't. yet there is a massive gulf on this thread between the liars and the honest. I wonder if it is to do with the demise of religious belief in the UK and some people are growing up in homes where people think it is fine to lie and cheat.

You’re probably right - thank goodness religious people would never lie or cheat. I actually don’t think lying existed until about 1993, did it?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.