Am I being unreasonable?

226 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
81%
You are NOT being unreasonable
19%
Arnaquer · 01/10/2022 13:19

No. It's a criminal offence under the fraud act to lie about your qualifications to get a job

JamieFrasersBigSwingingKilt · 01/10/2022 13:27

@Afterfire thanks for your reply. I work in marketing too. In a very senior role. If I found out one of my team had lied, I'd dismiss them. It's a real testament to their character - or, specifically, lack of - that would then undermine trust. I have never lied on my CV.

70billionthnamechange · 01/10/2022 13:30

cigiwi · 01/10/2022 11:00

No. Nor should you, or anyone.

Lying like that is wrong. You shouldn't do things that are wrong, even if you benefit in some way, or think you do.

Why? There are several reasons. Here's one. People who deliberately do things they know to be wrong are despicable.

Do you really want to be a despicable person? Not, notice, just considered to be a despicable person: do you want to be really a despicable person?

If you do want to be despicable, that in itself is a mistake. Why so? - Because being a despicable person is not a good thing.

(If you want to know what sort of things it's good to be, ask yourself what sort of person you would like your children to grow up to be. Would you like your child to grow up to be a despicable person? No, of course not. So that's not a good thing to be.)

Ethics - and associated morality - is really not so difficult. Which is lucky, given its importance: it defines for us how to live a good, fulfilled life, which (by definition, as it were) we all want to do.

It's part of being a proper human being, that is, not to lie on your CV. You probably knew that. But it's worth saying, anyway.

You should write a book.

GreenLeavesRustling · 01/10/2022 13:32

No. Never ever have, never would.

Kumri · 01/10/2022 13:36

No, because I’m honest, and not a loser.

XmasElf10 · 01/10/2022 13:38

Absolutely not! How dishonest.

SudocremOnEverything · 01/10/2022 13:39

No. I don’t need to.

I adapt my CV to present my work experience and background in a way that’s most appropriate to what I’m making a change for. But I don’t lie in any way.

Anon778833 · 01/10/2022 13:40

I’ve never lied on my CV and never would. If you think it’s ok to lie and cheat your way to a job then I guess what goes around comes around.

Anon778833 · 01/10/2022 13:42

Honestly, unless you are specifically asked about school grades, the fact that you have a degree trumps school grades.

quite

Anon778833 · 01/10/2022 13:44

Xenia · 01/10/2022 12:36

It is very simple - the criminal offence mentioned above occurs if you lie on a CV. People saying everyone does are also lying about that too - liars to the core this kind of person.

Nor have I ever had a need to lie as it all accurate from university prizes to pretty good career. Even if that were not so I would not lie about it as I could not live with myself

I never thought I’d see the day that I agree with Xenia.

Wherearemyspex · 01/10/2022 13:47

I have to admit to claiming to have passed an A level in a particular subject which I studied but failed. This got me a job, upon which I built a long and successful career. No-one ever checked. Is this fraud? Possibly, but I would probably do the same again.

SudocremOnEverything · 01/10/2022 13:49

I don’t put my school qualifications on my CV at all. There isn’t space for that kind of irrelevant crap. I’m in my 40s with multiple degrees and lots of work experience. I’d rather use the limited space to present that.

My school qualifications are great. But, frankly, no one cares. Absolutely no one is is hiring me on the basis of my A in higher maths or the 1 I got in standard grade French. I’m not sure anyone even gives a toss about my first degree!

why would you lie about your GCSEs or A-levels when you have a degree? There’s no need to lie. You’d just omit them entirely. Absolutely no one cares.

If there’s a reason to care about a GCSE grade, they’ll just ask.

cigiwi · 01/10/2022 13:50

NeverDropYourMooncup · 01/10/2022 12:30

Ethics are not simple. That's why they've been the subject of study for thousands of years and will continue to do so in the future.

Of course you are right in a way. Details may well be tricky. And, yes, thousands of years ...

... But is there really all that much to add to Aristotle's laying out of the overall scheme of how it works? What do you think?

cigiwi · 01/10/2022 13:51

Hmm. Funny you should say that. But thanks.

cigiwi · 01/10/2022 13:52

70billionthnamechange · 01/10/2022 13:30

You should write a book.

Hmm. Funny you should say that. But thanks.

KILM · 01/10/2022 13:54

There's a woman we used to work with who blatantly lied to get a new job at another company. She was incredibly lazy and achieved nothing at note at our place, but could talk the talk when it suited her. A colleague bumped into someone from the new company after a month who commented on how accomplished this person was, and the colleague asked what they meant and they proceeded to list off achievements that had happened, but that this woman had had nothing - one of them took place entirely while she was on maternity leave. But its he said/she said at that point, how would they go about proving you were a liar?

From a hiring manager perspective, i've had people try to lie in interviews but we've normally caught them out by asking slightly unusual followup questions.

Would never lie about qualifications, you never know if you are setting yourself up for legal trouble in terms of not just your own contract, but customer contracts etc.

Anon778833 · 01/10/2022 13:56

NeverDropYourMooncup · 01/10/2022 12:30

Ethics are not simple. That's why they've been the subject of study for thousands of years and will continue to do so in the future.

🤣 good attempt at trying to sell dishonesty as something ok.

In every society, lying is universally accepted as being wrong. And lying at the expense of others is universally wrong.

Elphame · 01/10/2022 13:57

Absolutely not.

I'd have been sacked on the spot and probably been out of financial services for good if I had.

Wallywobbles · 01/10/2022 14:07

I haven't put my finger on levels on my cv for a long time. There's way more relevant stuff and certificates/masters.etc now. It's already long enough at my age 50+

ThreeRingCircus · 01/10/2022 14:20

What I would not lie about is qualifications, especially if they are required for a role, and also making up experience you really don't have.

I cannot understand this either. I work in HR and background checks are stricter than they used to be.... we're audited to prove that we undertake rigourous checks. We just used to ask for proof of qualifications/copies of certificates that people were claiming to have but now would actually call up the body that issues the qualification to check. We have had multiple candidates be offered a job and we then have had to dismiss them because a call to the exam or professional body reveals they have faked the certificates they've shown us. It is frightening really how common it is for people to be dishonest in order to land a job. It's usually obvious once they start they don't have the skills they have claimed and it's both a colossal waste of time for us but also surely is for them when they then get sacked. I suppose they must be successful with lying some of the time otherwise it's surely not worth it.

FamilyTreeBuilder · 01/10/2022 14:22

Has nobody heard that pre-employment checking is a thing? Following up references, checking qualifications and professional accreditations, social media screening etc etc?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 01/10/2022 14:23

A long time ago I was talking to a man who was the Chair of Governors in a school. He said they had recently appointed a new head but things had not been working out well. Amongst other concerns, the head had failed to produce degree and other certificates, in spite of many requests. Eventually the CoG went to the Head's office at a time when he knew the Head was not there and discovered on the Head's desk a certificate which was clearly in the process of being forged. Instant dismissal for gross professional misconduct.

(Yes, I know he shouldn't have told us. It was totally inappropriate, as the group he was talking to had nothing to do with the school. Now we have more of a focus on data protection maybe he'd have been more discreet.)

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TiaraBoo · 01/10/2022 14:29

No I don’t lie.

VladmirsPoutine · 01/10/2022 14:50

Hmm I don't agree with it but I think there are levels to it. Inventing qualifications is a huge no - over-egging some tasks of the role is okay in my book.

UpToMyElbowsInDiapers · 01/10/2022 14:52

I had a job interview once where the interviewer switched into French with no warning, from one sentence to the next. I carried on in French too and answered his technical questions. He then thanked me for not lying on my CV about my level of French competency, because apparently many candidates had and had wasted his time (and embarrassed themselves!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.