Am I being unreasonable?

226 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
81%
You are NOT being unreasonable
19%
MsTSwift · 01/10/2022 09:13

No though my flatmate in my twenties nicked all my interests and work related voluntary roles from my cv. We did our cvs together I saw hers as she applied to my company and saw what she had done! Her out of hours hobby was shagging married men so…

SavingsThreads · 01/10/2022 09:15

No, what would I lie about? I assume people who do this wouldn't make great employees as not only dishonest but have substandard work history!

workflowers · 01/10/2022 09:20

RampantIvy · 01/10/2022 09:00

Because we don't all have degrees @workflowers

Right, but after a time, does years of a career not overtake school qualitative/mean there is no room for them? My degrees get less than a line on my CV. My professional qualification isn’t there at at all. My career history fills my CV. I can get why a 20 year old would list their GCSEs by subject, but less a 45 year old who has had decades of work experience.

Funkyslippers · 01/10/2022 09:26

Yes, I sat that I was in my first job much longer than I actually was, obliterating a few jobs that I had during that time. There is no way of checking the dates as the company shut down ages ago

Kanojo · 01/10/2022 09:33

I never have, although I’ve never had my first teenage job on there because it’s really irrelevant to my professional career and there’s no way anyone could get a reference.

My DH works in retail and says you get loads of people who claim to have worked at Woolworths, Toys R Us, Debenhams etc before they shut down. It’s usually obvious when they haven’t. One even claimed to have been a manager at one of them, not knowing that DH worked there at the time he claimed he was and knew it to be lies.

LubaLuca · 01/10/2022 09:35

I have been economical with the truth. I had a crap job for 12 months when I went back to work after having a 10 years+ long break when the children were little. It would be an uncomfortable/irrelevant talking point, so I leave it off and claim to have had a break one year longer than I did.

When I accepted my current role they were forensic in checking every detail and getting references from every previous employer noted. Luckily my lie is about something unprovable 😬

RampantIvy · 01/10/2022 09:38

workflowers · 01/10/2022 09:20

Right, but after a time, does years of a career not overtake school qualitative/mean there is no room for them? My degrees get less than a line on my CV. My professional qualification isn’t there at at all. My career history fills my CV. I can get why a 20 year old would list their GCSEs by subject, but less a 45 year old who has had decades of work experience.

My qualifications are just a line listing - 10 O levels, 2 A levels and then a professional qualification.

TBH I haven't updated my CV for about 10 years as I have been in the same job since 2004. I am 63 so have no intention of applying anywhere else to work now.

Also, in the last 41 years I have only had to submit my CV a handful of times as I have only woked for three different employers during that time, albeit in several different roles within each company.

AloysiusBear · 01/10/2022 09:39

Not really.

I possibly spin things in a positive light? Eg a project led by me together with a colleague, I would not mention the colleague.

Otherwise though ive never needed to lie. For the job i have now, i had most of the requirements. I don't have any gaps in my employment other than maternity leave, ive never had more than 1 week off between jobs.

RampantIvy · 01/10/2022 09:40

Did she get the job @MsTSwift?

AltheaVestr1t · 01/10/2022 09:47

Throwawaytoday · 01/10/2022 00:27

I am wantonly grey about my GCSEs and A-Levels.

I stated 11x A*-B GCSEs (I got 11 Bs) and 4x A-C A-Levels (I got a B and 3 Cs).

My degree and professional qualifications and experience are all accurate.

That's not a lie. That's data representation. 😂

Titsflyingsouth · 01/10/2022 09:48

No. I have bad enough imposter syndrome as it is. Lying to get a job I didn't have the skills/knowledge/experience for would not help me at all.

Sirius3030 · 01/10/2022 09:50

Mine is the biggest work of fiction since Harry Potter.

HelloDoggy · 01/10/2022 09:53

Ragwort · 01/10/2022 08:53

NoNot but are you talking about scenarios where the candidate exaggerates their qualifications or skills? What about in the example I gave ... where I didn't put that I'd 'managed' the department....just that I'd been part of it. Do you consider 'dumbing down' your CV equally 'a lie'. Years ago my DM was turned down for a Christmas temp job at M & S .... she was livid about it but her CV clearly showed she'd had very senior management experience and the feedback was that she was 'over qualified'. In that case is it acceptable to describe your experience differently?

I think it comes down to truth.

Saying you worked in x department is not a lie, if you managed it. As the manager you work in that department. So I would consider that true.

If someone said they managed X department, when they didn't. That would be a lie because it isn't true. They didn't manage it.

Equally, I think putting 9 x A-C grades on a CV is fine if all were Bs, because the statement is true (the candidate does have 9 GCSE's between grade's A and C). However, specifically stating you have As or B's for something when you only have C's and Ds would be lying and wrong.

Telling the truth on CVs is very important in my opinion. I think it's fine to tell that truth in different and creative ways, as long as what you say is true (and defendable). Lying (not telling the truth) on a CV is not ok in my opinion.

Womencanlift · 01/10/2022 09:54

On the basis that the OP posted and didn’t come back, I assume this is a journalist and in a few days there will be an article somewhere saying “x% of women lie on their CV” with quotes from this thread

user1494050295 · 01/10/2022 09:54

i have not included a job I was in for 5 months which I hated. And slightly extended the time I was in a previous job from one year to 18 months. There is no record anywhere I was in five month job. Terrible employer and just wanted to forget about it

Year0fGreatChange · 01/10/2022 09:56

Never lied about anything

I have applied for jobs & I have had to provide all my original qualification certificates & various forms of identification

FarmhouseLiving22 · 01/10/2022 09:59

No - I wouldn't if I were you. I run a business with quite a few staff, so I'm forever talking to other CEOs/HR people etc about references. It's amazing how quickly people get found out if they lie!

NeverDropYourMooncup · 01/10/2022 10:01

VroomVrooom · 01/10/2022 04:05

No, I don’t need to, and I work in the public sector so background checks are likely.

Not just public sector now. I get requests from companies to check records for people who were here in 1977 with a 'if you don't complete this full reference we will withdraw their job offer' and it's something like a coffee shop or cheap clothing chain.

ClaryFairchild · 01/10/2022 10:06

I've dumbed down my degree to get lower paid positions quickly, I also only provided the last 5 years of work experience and put on "additional details available on request" and was never asked for additional details.

I put in rather bland details for jobs that aren't really relevant to the one I am applying for.

Kanaloa · 01/10/2022 10:06

I don’t. Morally it’s shaky but practically it’s daft in my business. I live in a small town and it would be just like the thing to lie on my CV and then show up to be faced with an ex-colleague who now works at the place I’m interviewing.

ErrolTheDragon · 01/10/2022 10:11

Equally, I think putting 9 x A-C grades on a CV is fine if all were Bs, because the statement is true (the candidate does have 9 GCSE's between grade's A and C).

Putting A-C if they're all Bs isn't so bad because it's making a range about the actual value, equally higher and lower than the achieved grades. Putting A*-B if they're all Bs is dodgy.

RampantIvy · 01/10/2022 10:13

Your user name is very apt @FirestarterJackie. Are you going to come back to this thread?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Dreamingcats · 01/10/2022 10:35

No.

Once was shown an application by my boss because someone said they were really in to a niche hobby that I also do. They were obviously lying. They did not get interviewed.

Such a stupid lie when it wasn't even relevant to any job!

ElectedOnThursday · 01/10/2022 10:37

You can be jailed for fraud for lying on your cv. Very foolish thing to do.

EmmaGrundyForPM · 01/10/2022 10:43

No, never.

I'd be furious if someone I interviewed turned out to have lied on their CV. You should be able to be asked about any aspect of it and not have to lie.

There's a difference between outright lying (eg saying you've got a degree when you havent) and spinning some of the things you've done. For example, I might say that I led a team in developing X project, which is perfectly true, but I don't say that the team was only 2 people plus myself.

I'm amazed how many people are admitting to lying 🤥

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.