Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Manager at work talking about my shyness

1 reply

IthinIhave · 27/09/2022 22:22

I am quite shy. At work, I do my project work and get good feedback on it, but I’m quite quiet (eg I prefer messaging by email than speaking up in meetings). At the office I really struggle to fit in, I join colleagues for lunch but find it hard to make conversation.

I do have social anxiety diagnosed which my manager and senior manager is aware of. It’s something I find really upsetting and personal, as it’s impacted my entire life and I think would class as a disability.

The head of my department had a meeting with mr today where they brought up my “shyness”and it’s really upset me and made me feel really uncomfortable and like I’m being watched for signs of being too shy and quiet, I also feel like calling it shyness is brushing over what is a mental health disorder, and I’m now worried I’m going to get fired for it

OP posts:
Kite22 · 27/09/2022 23:30

I am not sure what you are asking if YABU or not about.

I have no idea what you do for a living, but I would be very surprised if anyone were thinking of managing you out of a job because you were shy.
OTOH, presumably you are in that meeting as part of your role, to contribute something to the meeting ? Maybe - as Managers - they are working out how they can support you to do that, if it is part of your role ?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.