Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to have written to the school?

99 replies

imissedabit · 23/09/2022 22:16

I have written to dd's school four times in my life (she is 18) and all within the last few months. Firstly, in relation to her end of year results, then about her career guidance, then about a tragic awful crime and now because they've brought in a new principal. I know that things change and I loved change when I was young but I'm just concerned whether they have any continuity of care?
I feel like they probably think that I was someone who suddenly got access to the internet or something!
If you were a principal, would you just write me off as some sort of deranged lunatic?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

221 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
92%
You are NOT being unreasonable
8%
BeyondApproach · 24/09/2022 15:19

It's the first rule of writing anything that you do not use an acronym without explaining it first. So, I'm writing an article on the merits of Mumsnet posters, I would for example say that they are all Very Naice Kind Ladies (VNKL). You only use an acronym to save time for brevity of an article and to avoid spelling it out repeatedly. You don't randomly read shit where no acronym is explained (unless you're among the VNKL).
I could of course just say that the posters on Mumnsnet are all ABVSC and that might keep me from getting into trouble but it wouldn't quite get the message across.

scrufffy · 24/09/2022 15:59

BeyondApproach · 24/09/2022 15:19

It's the first rule of writing anything that you do not use an acronym without explaining it first. So, I'm writing an article on the merits of Mumsnet posters, I would for example say that they are all Very Naice Kind Ladies (VNKL). You only use an acronym to save time for brevity of an article and to avoid spelling it out repeatedly. You don't randomly read shit where no acronym is explained (unless you're among the VNKL).
I could of course just say that the posters on Mumnsnet are all ABVSC and that might keep me from getting into trouble but it wouldn't quite get the message across.

But your examples don't equate because they are specific to you. The acronyms in the school communications are widely known and easily googled.

MichelleScarn · 24/09/2022 16:03

And also if anyone or their loved one were personally affected by the article they'd most likely... Google to find out what they meant?

Fairislefandango · 24/09/2022 17:34

So, I'm writing an article on the merits of Mumsnet posters, I would for example say that they are all Very Naice Kind Ladies (VNKL). You only use an acronym to save time for brevity of an article and to avoid spelling it out repeatedly. You don't randomly read shit where no acronym is explained (unless you're among the VNKL).

Except we're not talking about people using acronyms they just made up on the spot, are we? We're talking about established acronyms used in education, and which you don't even need to know the meaning of, but which you could perfectly easily Google if you wanted to. Unlike VNKL, because it doesn't exist.

Of course people 'randomly read shit where no acronym is explained'! Any time you read an article on a topic that not within your area of expertise, you're reasonably likely to come across abbreviations or acronyms you're not familiar with. Would you write to the organisation/author saying "Excuse me - I am not a scientist/geographer/whatever - why have you not explained your acronyms?!" Of course not (unless you're a loon). You'd look them up!

BeyondApproach · 24/09/2022 18:29

NO.
Have any of you ever actually gone to school?
This is an introduction to a principal which did not just have his name and the letters he earned.
This was gibberish.

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:30

I don't have fucking time to look useless acronyms up!

scrufffy · 24/09/2022 18:31

NO.
This is an introduction to a principal which did not just have his name and the letters he earned.
This was gibberish.

From what you've described here it really wasn't. It was just setting out how qualified he was for the role.

Why didn't you go to the school and talk to them before your child had bad results? I don't understand that.

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:32

scrufffy · 24/09/2022 18:31

From what you've described here it really wasn't. It was just setting out how qualified he was for the role.

Why didn't you go to the school and talk to them before your child had bad results? I don't understand that.

Well I'm no more informed as to how well-qualified he is for the fucking role that all of the VABMs here.

scrufffy · 24/09/2022 18:33

Op, have you name changed again?

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:33

This reply has been deleted

Deleted by MNHQ

crochetmonkey74 · 24/09/2022 18:34

Nothing on this thread makes sense. You say the school don't know you exist yet support for your DD was there so you must have had some contact to set that up. Then a student needing support has grades affected and again, this seems to come as a surprise. Schools now have more contact with parents than ever (teacher of 25 years experience)
Lots of this thread doesn't ring true at all. Also acronyms are pretty standard, especially in qualifications - would be weirder to write them out in full

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:35

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

crochetmonkey74 · 24/09/2022 18:35

Also why would you have even considered them pulling support just because of a change of head?

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:36

crochetmonkey74 · 24/09/2022 18:35

Also why would you have even considered them pulling support just because of a change of head?

rtftb

scrufffy · 24/09/2022 18:37

It does make the thread harder to follow when you name change as your posts aren't highlighted.

This thread is taking a very odd turn.

slashlover · 24/09/2022 18:44

Grandegrande · 24/09/2022 18:30

It would have taken less time than writing the email.

Fairislefandango · 24/09/2022 18:47

Yes, I went to school until I was 18 and I've taught in schools for 27 years.

Uh huh. It would have been a lot quicker than composing an unnecessary 'welcoming' letter followed by an extensive MN thread with inexplicably frequent name changes. Or you could of course have just not bothered worrying yourself about the acronyms in the first place.

crochetmonkey74 · 24/09/2022 18:56

TTIB (This thread is Batshit)

Fairislefandango · 24/09/2022 19:07

ICAM (I Couldn't Agree More)

EarringsandLipstick · 24/09/2022 19:45

NO.
This was gibberish.

God help the school. Fervently hoping you live nowhere near me

EarringsandLipstick · 24/09/2022 19:46

Fairislefandango · 24/09/2022 19:07

ICAM (I Couldn't Agree More)

😂😂😂

LimeTwists · 24/09/2022 19:49

the continuity of care thing is really OTT. How would any teacher or head ever resign or retire?! They will ALWAYS have at least four school year groups who are not in their final year. Do you propose they give 4 years’ notice snd close the school to new admissions until the year 7s have had the continuity of the same head until they leave school? This is madness, OP. What on earth did you write in with concerns about that for?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LimeTwists · 24/09/2022 19:52

Right…so your name changing means there’s loads of info drip fed through the post which doesn’t show up when looking at all your posts. Unhelpful!

Tillow4ever · 24/09/2022 20:19

Well I didn't think you were a lunatic at the start.

As your posts have gone on I'm on the verge of calling the men in white suits for you.

You're either very, very bored creating this completely weird post about a non-issue, are attention seeking or you are in fact a lunatic.

As another poster do eloquently put - chill the fuck out!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.