Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to have written to the school?

99 replies

imissedabit · 23/09/2022 22:16

I have written to dd's school four times in my life (she is 18) and all within the last few months. Firstly, in relation to her end of year results, then about her career guidance, then about a tragic awful crime and now because they've brought in a new principal. I know that things change and I loved change when I was young but I'm just concerned whether they have any continuity of care?
I feel like they probably think that I was someone who suddenly got access to the internet or something!
If you were a principal, would you just write me off as some sort of deranged lunatic?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

221 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
92%
You are NOT being unreasonable
8%
Zuyi · 23/09/2022 22:49

Teachers expect lunacy from parents. It's obvious in the way they try to manage us all the time. As long as you didn't issue any threats over the acronym situation or turn up at the school shouting about acronyms, it's fine. Even if you did, they'd probably feel sorry for child and be even nicer to her.

PriamFarrl · 23/09/2022 22:49

Schools are far too busy worrying about all the stuff they should be worried about to give you a second thought.

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:50

Seriously though, the introduction of the principal was like if you had never read MN before and there were dds and dss and DIL and MIL abounding.

I just felt the need to suggest that he clarified acronynms. Oh for God's sake. I sound like an utter asshat. But an entire paragraph made no sense whatsoever!

scrivette · 23/09/2022 22:51

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:50

Seriously though, the introduction of the principal was like if you had never read MN before and there were dds and dss and DIL and MIL abounding.

I just felt the need to suggest that he clarified acronynms. Oh for God's sake. I sound like an utter asshat. But an entire paragraph made no sense whatsoever!

You probably weren't the only one who queried it then.

DappledThings · 23/09/2022 22:52

What were the acronyms?

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:52

Teachers expect lunacy from parents. It's obvious in the way they try to manage us all the time. As long as you didn't issue any threats over the acronym situation or turn up at the school shouting about acronyms, it's fine. Even if you did, they'd probably feel sorry for child and be even nicer to her.

I'm hoping they will see why my long suffering dd is the way she is and bear with her. 😂

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:53

They included the following.

NQT mentor?
I have no clue what that might be
SSE Coordinator?
No clue
The Inspectorate - an authority running exams?
SEC - No clue
NCCA - No clue
CPD needs - No clue
Adjunct Lecturer to PME students in TCD - what is that?

YellowTreeHouse · 23/09/2022 22:55

She’s 18. You should not be interfering in her schooling.

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:56

YellowTreeHouse · 23/09/2022 22:55

She’s 18. You should not be interfering in her schooling.

I AM HER MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you want to come over here and say that? 😆

JulesCobb · 23/09/2022 23:01

NQT mentor?
SSE Coordinator?
No clue
SEC - No clue
NCCA - No clue
CPD needs - No clue

You've had an email this week about NQT mentoring? That is weird.

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 23:06

JulesCobb · 23/09/2022 23:01

You've had an email this week about NQT mentoring? That is weird.

Well I don't even know what it means so I can't comment!

ClaudiusTheGod · 23/09/2022 23:13

This ^

It makes the job nicer to expect lunacy from parents, because you’re always pathetically grateful when you get nice normal ones. [teacher here btw]

JulesCobb · 23/09/2022 23:18

It's the old term for an ECT

JulesCobb · 23/09/2022 23:19

Oh hang on! Is this ireland?

lemonyanus · 23/09/2022 23:20

This thread now has me wondering if my child's school think I'm neglectful because I'm not constantly making contact, I just sort of leave them to it Confused

SuperCamp · 23/09/2022 23:25

Was it the old head that committed the awful tragic crime?

It seems harsh to email about a change of Head if it was.

WeAreAllLionesses · 23/09/2022 23:26

Well, if that was our school, we would have been grateful and appreciative of the two in support of us; looked at Comms policy re the abbreviations - the only one unnecessary was the one checking the principal knows specifically about your DD.

Testina · 23/09/2022 23:32

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 22:37

I'm worried that they'll think I'm a lunatic (I sort of am).

“Oh I mad, me!” types are so tiresome.
So you just had a run of emails 🤷🏻‍♀️
That doesn’t make you excitingly cray cray.

FlissyPaps · 23/09/2022 23:34

NQT mentor?
SSE Coordinator?
No clue
SEC - No clue
NCCA - No clue
CPD needs - No clue

NQT is a newly qualified teacher.
SSE is support services for education. (From my experience anyway)
SEC - I’m not sure but a quick Google tells me State Examinations Commission (in Ireland?)
NCCA - Same again, I’m not sure but Google suggests National Council for Curriculum Assessment (also in Ireland?)
CPD - These are points that are accredited through various courses. Usually types of NVQs and coursework based rather than an examination.

Did you Google any of the abbreviations at all?

Testina · 23/09/2022 23:34

“New appointment of new principal:
Once again in response to the email, just asking whether there would be handover to the new principal about my daughter's circumstances.”

Either it’s a teeny tiny school or your daughter has very special circumstances. That would be a form tutor question in my school, head of a year at a push!

Testina · 23/09/2022 23:43

Adjunct Lecturer to PME students in TCD

A member of your school staff who is or was an adjunct lecturer (that is to say, not full time) who lectures/lectured on the PME course (Professional Master of Education, standard post primary teaching qualification in Ireland) at TCD (Trinity College Dublin, one of the best known universities and university acronyms in Ireland).

Am I close?

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 23:44

lemonyanus · 23/09/2022 23:20

This thread now has me wondering if my child's school think I'm neglectful because I'm not constantly making contact, I just sort of leave them to it Confused

I did the same until about 4 months ago! I had never ever emailed the school. Any of the schools. I think they must think that I've either lost my mind or just got out of prison lol.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Testina · 23/09/2022 23:47

“I think they must think that I've either lost my mind or just got out of prison lol.”

Why so desperate to want them to think you’re so crazy / zany / different / funny?

Schools get a lot of emails. They won’t even have noticed.

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 23:48

FlissyPaps · 23/09/2022 23:34

NQT is a newly qualified teacher.
SSE is support services for education. (From my experience anyway)
SEC - I’m not sure but a quick Google tells me State Examinations Commission (in Ireland?)
NCCA - Same again, I’m not sure but Google suggests National Council for Curriculum Assessment (also in Ireland?)
CPD - These are points that are accredited through various courses. Usually types of NVQs and coursework based rather than an examination.

Did you Google any of the abbreviations at all?

I don't google.
If you're writing a fucking email to me, at least make it comprehensible?

FlissyPaps · 23/09/2022 23:51

BeyondApproach · 23/09/2022 23:48

I don't google.
If you're writing a fucking email to me, at least make it comprehensible?

😂😂😂

Chill the fuck out. I agree with a PP. You are a lunatic.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.