My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

High street shops just won’t refund or exchange anymore?

282 replies

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 15:43

Has anyone else found this? Two examples recently:

• Marks and Spencer’s - baby cardigan received as a gift - all tags on and style of cardigan still on sale in stores. No gift receipt but asked if I could exchange for next size up as too small. Lady scanned it through the till and said it was outside of 30 days so nothing they could do.
  • Whistles - purchase the exact same style and size of jeans in different colours. Tried one in store, ordered the other online. The pair ordered online are about three inches bigger. Ripped the tags off and threw them on and then realised after an hour they were falling down. My fault I should have checked but was told, there was absolutely nothing they were prepared to do. The woman told me in the shop ‘I had probably stretched them’ which was nice 🙄

So AIBU? It seems customer service is non-existent these days. I appreciate they have policies but it seems once something is sold they don’t want to know?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1190 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
girlfriend44 · 22/09/2022 17:08

M and S always used to be good like this.
Some shops won't refund even with receipt they will only change.

Need to think hard before you buy. Once you've parted with your money its hard to get it back in life.

Milkand2sugarsplease · 22/09/2022 17:12

We're having fun with Tommy Hilfiger atm.

Bought a top (which wasn't cheap) but the stitching was loose. Contacted TH who said to package it up and return it to them which we did.

Eventually, after ringing several times to see what was happening as Ahmed heard nothing, we received a voucher for the value. This would be fine as DH wants the same top just not with dodgy stitching, however TH have a rule that if you're using a voucher, the item you buy has to be more then the value of the voucher. DH is now in discussions about why a swap of an item that was faulty should require him to buy something else in order to use the exchange voucher.

mewkins · 22/09/2022 17:17

Neverendingdust · 22/09/2022 17:06

Refund or exchange ONLY with valid proof of purchase within X days is usually on all receipts? It’s fairly standard practice. Too many scammers about nowadays. No receipt no return. Same with tags still attached.

Again, she HAD the receipt. It doesn't take a huge amount of common sense on the part of the sales assistant to see that this was a legitimate exchange which would make no difference whatsoever to the shop's profits.

Cassi22 · 22/09/2022 17:17

I had similar with M&S, received a baby gift and needed to swap the size (they had plenty in store) and wouldn’t do it because it was purchased more than 30 days ago. I emailed them and they sent me a gift voucher for more than the cost of the item but was told they still wouldn’t exchange…

I don’t think whistles are unreasonable in this case though, sorry!

urgen · 22/09/2022 17:18

MargaretThursday is 100% correct. There are too many scum bags doing just this.

Banana2079 · 22/09/2022 17:20

I have found Marks & Spencer to be very reasonable in exchanging things without a receipt I’ve never had them not exchange something without a receipt and how would they know it is outside the 30 day period without a receipt try another store
As for the whistles one you have already have a receipt explain that you did not expect the exact style of Jean to be a different size from the other even though they are the same size and they should refund you because they did not clearly state that different colours for different sizes

Banana2079 · 22/09/2022 17:22

Always known them to exchange without a receipt

SquigglePigs · 22/09/2022 17:22

The jeans one I'm on the shops side I'm afraid (and I've made the same mistake). The baby cardigan one was just petty on their side. I could understand not giving you a refund, but exchanging it for a larger size when they still stock the range is a bit pathetic.

withlotsoflove · 22/09/2022 17:24

Where l work , you can have an exchange without a receipt- but no refund.
You won’t get a receipt in that case / as then some people try then to *get a refund.
Last week someone tried to return 2 school skirts / they had the name in ( faded) & a recent receipt for the next size up! The audacity of the man!
As they’d been purchased in a different store l explained they must have sold him used clothing! 😉

Banana2079 · 22/09/2022 17:25

Why are you being such a dick… What a nasty response seriously go take A lie down and think to yourself why you wld respond to a complete stranger who asked a question in that way , yuk

Cassi22 · 22/09/2022 17:26

@IsAinmDummm You can’t do that in M&S, when they scan the tag for an individual item it shows if it has already been bought and when!

Banana2079 · 22/09/2022 17:27

I don’t understand why people are defending whistles here she has the receipt she bought two jeans in exactly the same size one was bigger than the other so surely they have a responsibility to refund her considering that one pair is bigger than the other ! Worn or not worn She could have only had found that out once it was worn , She has a case under Consumer goods act

Stickortwister · 22/09/2022 17:29

M and s have changed.
I'm ancient and worked on the customer service desk 25 years ago(!). We were always told to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer. A refund was fine if the tags were still on and you had the receipt ( and no mention of the 30 days).... a credit note if no receipt. A refund if things were "faulty"- so if a broken zip etc full refund no argument even if it was obvious it had been worn a lot.
So I would have exchanged the cardigan no problems.

Survey99 · 22/09/2022 17:31

YABVVVU - in both cases the shops were ok to return within a reasonable period any unused items.

Speechless that you expect to be able to return used jeans 🤣

ILoveShula · 22/09/2022 17:33

I was given an item of clothing as a gift once. When I tried to change it,I was told that they stopped making that item several years previously.
I'd had something regifted.

MrsClatterbuck · 22/09/2022 17:33

I remember reading in the newspapers when M & S changed their returns policy from 90 days to I think 33. Some people were very put out. How dare they do that. It was like they didn't realise that
It was still better than other companies whose time frame was 28 days. In fact I think that is the norm. T K Maxx reduced their policy to 14 days but think they have changed it back.
Also M&S have a very generous policy at Christmas when from a certain date in October you have until around the beginning of January to return items.

viques · 22/09/2022 17:36

OverTheHillAndDownTotherSide · 22/09/2022 15:57

M+S are all about dicks these days.

women and children chucked aside.

You haven’t quite grasped the principle of running a retail business have you…..

Pixiedust1234 · 22/09/2022 17:37

mewkins · 22/09/2022 16:54

But the OP already had a receipt? So in no way was it shoplifted.

Read the op again. She said she didn't have the gift receipt.

M&S are nicer but if they hadn't refused for the 30 day policy I bet they would have for the no receipt.

RedWingBoots · 22/09/2022 17:38

Stickortwister · 22/09/2022 17:29

M and s have changed.
I'm ancient and worked on the customer service desk 25 years ago(!). We were always told to give the benefit of the doubt to the customer. A refund was fine if the tags were still on and you had the receipt ( and no mention of the 30 days).... a credit note if no receipt. A refund if things were "faulty"- so if a broken zip etc full refund no argument even if it was obvious it had been worn a lot.
So I would have exchanged the cardigan no problems.

About 12 years ago I bought some shoes from M&S. The heel cracked after about 4 wears. As I had bought them on a card I had proof of purchase. I took them back because I was unhappy with the quality. I then had to wait 6 weeks for a refund as they had to send them away to confirm they were poor quality.

A few years later I brought a bag from Accessorize. Some stitching came undone after I had it 2 months. (It didn't have 2 full months of use it had about 10 days.) I took the bag back. I again used a card statement as proof of purchase. I got a refund immediately.

Guess which store that I've spent more money in over the years?

Goodoldvera · 22/09/2022 17:39

People forget or don't realise when they purchase an item in store they are agreeing to the terms and conditions of sale unique to that store...(consumer rights are different) it can vary. The stock changes seasonally and can be reduced to clear at any point to make way for new stock. Any items returned are at risk of being reduced whatever size..the more items left in stock become a potential loss so the contract you have is for a refund or exchange for as long as the contract exists..ie the receipt expires

KikoLemons · 22/09/2022 17:39

OP didn't have the receipt for the cardigan.
Marks and Spencer’s - baby cardigan received as a gift - all tags on and style of cardigan still on sale in stores. No gift receipt but asked if I could exchange for next size up as too small.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams · 22/09/2022 17:39

Surely if M&S can scan the tag and can see when it was bought, they'd know it had been bought, and not shoplifted?

I think the baby clothes one is a bit of a shame, because somebody (obviously less superstitious than me, I never buy until the baby has arrived!) could have bought it well before the baby was born so the mum wouldn't actually have it within the 30 days.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

ancientgran · 22/09/2022 17:40

I paid £65 for a pair of ankle boots in M&S yesterday and they wanted 20p for a bag. I said no thanks and just carried them out.

Pixiedust1234 · 22/09/2022 17:41

ancientgran · 22/09/2022 17:40

I paid £65 for a pair of ankle boots in M&S yesterday and they wanted 20p for a bag. I said no thanks and just carried them out.

But thats the law. Nothing to do with the shop.

StrikeandRobin · 22/09/2022 17:43

Banana2079 · 22/09/2022 17:27

I don’t understand why people are defending whistles here she has the receipt she bought two jeans in exactly the same size one was bigger than the other so surely they have a responsibility to refund her considering that one pair is bigger than the other ! Worn or not worn She could have only had found that out once it was worn , She has a case under Consumer goods act

Tried on with tags still attached, fair enough, but not when actually worn for an hour!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.