My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

High street shops just won’t refund or exchange anymore?

282 replies

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 15:43

Has anyone else found this? Two examples recently:

• Marks and Spencer’s - baby cardigan received as a gift - all tags on and style of cardigan still on sale in stores. No gift receipt but asked if I could exchange for next size up as too small. Lady scanned it through the till and said it was outside of 30 days so nothing they could do.
  • Whistles - purchase the exact same style and size of jeans in different colours. Tried one in store, ordered the other online. The pair ordered online are about three inches bigger. Ripped the tags off and threw them on and then realised after an hour they were falling down. My fault I should have checked but was told, there was absolutely nothing they were prepared to do. The woman told me in the shop ‘I had probably stretched them’ which was nice 🙄

So AIBU? It seems customer service is non-existent these days. I appreciate they have policies but it seems once something is sold they don’t want to know?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1190 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
mewkins · 22/09/2022 19:19

Ohtsd · 22/09/2022 19:17

Next unique barcode

nbcc.police.uk/news/next-clothing-unique-clothing-identification

Who knew?! Barcodes are going to start getting REALLY long! 😬Does M&S do this now?

pastypirate · 22/09/2022 19:23

There is a small chain of electrical shops here. They sell high end kit. I was given a pair of headphones that weren't what I wanted. Realised way after 30 days and called the store. They were prepared to cash refund but I said it's fine I'll take a gift receipt and chose another item I loved. It was a sale over £100. I was really impressed with the service.

I would have stood my ground with marks.

mewkins · 22/09/2022 19:24

Blossomtoes · 22/09/2022 19:15

This is a genuine question that I'm hoping someone in a shop can answer.

Scroll up to Roofingnovice’s post.

Jesus, big brother really is watching our every move. Wonder what they do when tags get lost etc. Thank you for clarifying this though. I still think they should have swapped the cardigan though as a goodwill thing for a customer with a new baby.

WitTanks · 22/09/2022 19:25

This reminds me of a thread on here lately when a poster bought a buggy, used it outside then packaged it up and sent back for a refund because it didn't suit her needs. Then couldn't understand why the buggy retailer wouldn't accept the return

Butchyrestingface · 22/09/2022 19:29

I'm told what shoplifters try is. Steal one item. Take it back to the shop and say it was a gift, and can they exchange it for the next size up. The store then gives a receipt. Then they take it back and ask for a refund.

Christ, that sounds like a lot of effort.

I'd rather just work for a living. Grin

ArabellaDrummond · 22/09/2022 19:30

The M&S one - I think they could have exchanged it with whatever price it is at the moment so YANBU on that one
Whistles - YABU you’d worn them for an hour and ripped the tags off, don’t know what you expected

Goodoldvera · 22/09/2022 19:30

Sproglette · 22/09/2022 18:20

@Chumbibi I had the exact same problem in m and s. Go back, find a manager. I did, spoke to them, they can over-ride it. I did a straight swap for the next size up. I was very calm and said it is over there, I just want to swap. The manager did it for me whereas the usual cashier refused and had not even told me that a manager had the authority to do this.

Rules are rules, the Manager may have some discretion but not always at store level tbh, as a cashier you are expected not to call a manager as you are expected to follow company policy..it pisses me off when a manager doesn't make it clear that you are following their rules before casually overriding..it doesn't happen often but after 4 arguments sometimes they can't be arsed.. doesn't mean your are in the right to return though

Crimeismymiddlename · 22/09/2022 19:32

You had no receipt for one item, and got rid of the tags for the other. Shops don’t have to give refunds but do for good will. If you want that refund you have to go by the terms and conditions required.

Anjo2011 · 22/09/2022 19:35

I was in John Lewis earlier today and the couple in front of me tried to return a soda stream cylinder. They didn’t have any form of purchase , the assistant asked for the receipt or the John Lewis loyalty card number and they couldn’t provide either. He wouldn’t budge and they left without their refund. As many have said the old days of ‘ goodwill refunds’ are long gone. Keep the receipt !

ItsJustLittleOlMe · 22/09/2022 19:36

I was very pleased with the customer service in both H&M and next recently. H & M - bought a dress, had the receipt but it was over the 28 days return/refund policy. However they put the credit onto a gift card thing for me to use any time over the next 2 years. Next - has lots of stuff bought for my baby being born 7 months ago. Some of the stuff was too bug at the time ie 3-6 months, so I put it away for when she was bigger. Totally forgot about them and they were too small when I came across them. Took them back as a few of the things were still in stock and they swapped them for bigger sizes, no questions asked. Tags still on but no receipt and they were bought 6+ months ago.

roofingnovice · 22/09/2022 19:37

The barcode is not getting longer, it's a completely different one, marked with the arrows.
The till reads it and it contains loads of very useful information for the store.

High street shops just won’t refund or exchange anymore?
RiftGibbon · 22/09/2022 19:38

Shops need a receipt as proof of purchase. Unfortunately there are too many dishonest people around to let them just go ahead with a refund/swap.

slashlover · 22/09/2022 19:40

For people saying 30 days isn't long enough - how long do you think it should be?

MinnyMous · 22/09/2022 19:40

RedWingBoots · 22/09/2022 17:38

About 12 years ago I bought some shoes from M&S. The heel cracked after about 4 wears. As I had bought them on a card I had proof of purchase. I took them back because I was unhappy with the quality. I then had to wait 6 weeks for a refund as they had to send them away to confirm they were poor quality.

A few years later I brought a bag from Accessorize. Some stitching came undone after I had it 2 months. (It didn't have 2 full months of use it had about 10 days.) I took the bag back. I again used a card statement as proof of purchase. I got a refund immediately.

Guess which store that I've spent more money in over the years?

4 years?

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 19:45

I mean it was clear in M&S I wasn’t a shoplifter and I had the baby in the pram and was buying numerous other items for the kids 🤣 but I know it takes all sorts. I’ve got a load of clothes to donate to our local woman's refuge so will pop it in there and hope it goes to good use.

With the jeans (yes I did have them on for an hour, I have two children under 2 you just throw clothes on and run) in my view they’re faulty. The sizing is completely wrong but I know it’s my fault for taking the tags off, again short of time and not thinking!

OP posts:
YouCanSpeakWhenYoureMakingSense · 22/09/2022 19:45

Ooh, you’re a bit entitled, aren’t you?
why should they?

sponsabillaries · 22/09/2022 19:46

MinnyMous · 22/09/2022 19:40

4 years?

“4 wears”

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 19:46

@YouCanSpeakWhenYoureMakingSense no not really, I literally never take things back so was a bit surprised at how much shops have clamped down

OP posts:
YouCanSpeakWhenYoureMakingSense · 22/09/2022 19:47

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 19:46

@YouCanSpeakWhenYoureMakingSense no not really, I literally never take things back so was a bit surprised at how much shops have clamped down

Well, lesson learned.

AllNightDiner · 22/09/2022 19:48

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 15:43

Has anyone else found this? Two examples recently:

• Marks and Spencer’s - baby cardigan received as a gift - all tags on and style of cardigan still on sale in stores. No gift receipt but asked if I could exchange for next size up as too small. Lady scanned it through the till and said it was outside of 30 days so nothing they could do.
  • Whistles - purchase the exact same style and size of jeans in different colours. Tried one in store, ordered the other online. The pair ordered online are about three inches bigger. Ripped the tags off and threw them on and then realised after an hour they were falling down. My fault I should have checked but was told, there was absolutely nothing they were prepared to do. The woman told me in the shop ‘I had probably stretched them’ which was nice 🙄

So AIBU? It seems customer service is non-existent these days. I appreciate they have policies but it seems once something is sold they don’t want to know?

The jeans you bought online will be covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations, so you have 14 days from the day you received them to change your mind. But imo if the sizing is out that would make them faulty, which means the transaction is covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which gives you 30 days to return them or up to 6 months provided you give them an opportunity to replace them first (and would apply even if you'd bought them in a shop).

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations-ajWHC8m21cAk

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

KnickerlessParsons · 22/09/2022 19:48

Too many shop lifters, too many people buying stuff, wearing it to a do and then returning it, and too many people buying loads of items, taking them home to try them on and then bringing most of them back (that one applies to online shopping too).

BryceQuinlanTheFirst · 22/09/2022 19:49

This is one of the reasons more shops will move to digital receipts too

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

CakeCrumbs44 · 22/09/2022 19:50

IsAinmDummm · 22/09/2022 15:52

Why are M&S being dicks?? Anyone could easily walk into a shop pick up size 0-3 months cardi, walk up to customer service & say "I got this as a present but it's too small, I've no receipt but tags are still on, please swap for bigger size"
Not saying in the slightest that OP did this, but just without a receipt anyone could.....

Why would you do that? You would just pick up the size you wanted and walk out if you were planning to steal one!

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 19:51

@AllNightDiner thank you that’s super helpful

OP posts:
diddl · 22/09/2022 19:52

slashlover · 22/09/2022 19:40

For people saying 30 days isn't long enough - how long do you think it should be?

Daughter often orders stuff online.

Couldn't decide about something, then got busy with uni work & it was forgotten about.

Checked the policy-items posted back within 100 days of their invoice date were refunded!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.