My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

High street shops just won’t refund or exchange anymore?

282 replies

Chumbibi · 22/09/2022 15:43

Has anyone else found this? Two examples recently:

• Marks and Spencer’s - baby cardigan received as a gift - all tags on and style of cardigan still on sale in stores. No gift receipt but asked if I could exchange for next size up as too small. Lady scanned it through the till and said it was outside of 30 days so nothing they could do.
  • Whistles - purchase the exact same style and size of jeans in different colours. Tried one in store, ordered the other online. The pair ordered online are about three inches bigger. Ripped the tags off and threw them on and then realised after an hour they were falling down. My fault I should have checked but was told, there was absolutely nothing they were prepared to do. The woman told me in the shop ‘I had probably stretched them’ which was nice 🙄

So AIBU? It seems customer service is non-existent these days. I appreciate they have policies but it seems once something is sold they don’t want to know?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1190 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
72%
You are NOT being unreasonable
28%
LoisLane66 · 24/09/2022 22:08

@Goodoldvera
No, Primark knew I didn't want to send the socks back and I have never returned anything with the thought of compensation. I'm not hard up and the least likely to make a fuss over nothing. I thought they would like to know about the 'roach in their clothing WHEREVER it came from. Some years ago H&M accidentally sent me a refund of 39.99 for something I had not returned. I rang, told them and was almost arguing for them to tell me their bank details so I could refund the money but they insisted I keep it.
I donated all the money to Barnardo's charity and emailed H&M the letter and receipt. Not everyone looks for compensation or wants it but that shouldn't stop us from making comments to the relevant company. It doesn't have to be a proper complaint but that's how they have to log it.

LoisLane66 · 24/09/2022 22:17

@mewkins
Better if it's flawed logic than being on the floor.

Goodoldvera · 25/09/2022 08:19

LoisLane66 · 24/09/2022 22:08

@Goodoldvera
No, Primark knew I didn't want to send the socks back and I have never returned anything with the thought of compensation. I'm not hard up and the least likely to make a fuss over nothing. I thought they would like to know about the 'roach in their clothing WHEREVER it came from. Some years ago H&M accidentally sent me a refund of 39.99 for something I had not returned. I rang, told them and was almost arguing for them to tell me their bank details so I could refund the money but they insisted I keep it.
I donated all the money to Barnardo's charity and emailed H&M the letter and receipt. Not everyone looks for compensation or wants it but that shouldn't stop us from making comments to the relevant company. It doesn't have to be a proper complaint but that's how they have to log it.

No I understand, you weren't but others do unfortunately. The roach probably hitched a ride but could come from anywhere in the supply chain, or even with a customer. We do have pest control boxes in the store where I work, I never look in them! I think unwanted gifts should be passed on personally, this getting irate at someone who is doing as they've been told is frustrating for everyone and holds up the queue. The 'helpful' suggestions of how you must be 'able to do this if you do xyz' 'other shops do it' etc not all the tills work the same... I can think of ways these things can be sorted, size wise and I guess others who work in retail know stuff too in relation to their store but I can't say can I

mewkins · 25/09/2022 08:30

Goodoldvera · 24/09/2022 17:44

I agree she probably wasn't, but you have to treat all customers equally unfortunately, the queue is listening if you say yes to one request, you have to afford the same to the next. There is always those who will say I did it the last time, when it was a one off. You can't win

I've worked in shops and obviously been a customer and there has always been an 'at store's discretion" clause. It still exists over things like faulty items or items not fit for purpose. There has to be as often situations are not black and white. I don't know why people are pretending that 'rules is rules' and there is no room for being human and applying logic. As others have said, the op could walk into a different m and s tomorrow and they would probably accommodate the swap.

Joolianne · 27/09/2022 06:12

It doesnt say it was worn you cant wear something with tags hanging on???

AdobeWanKenobi · 27/09/2022 08:09

Stigsmother · 22/09/2022 18:44

And going to the other extreme.....I was in Curry's a couple of nights ago, ahead of me was a bloke with a Dyson that he wanted to return. Not only was it not packaged, it was full!
The assistant refused to accept it at first, but then relented and gave him a dustbin to empty it into.
BUT, he had a receipt and came out with a new vacuum.

I'm sure the best way of telling a vacuum cleaner is faulty is by actually using it I’ve a period of time.
The fact that the customer was happy with an exchange would suggest the returning one was faulty.

Costco probably have the best return policy I’ve ever seen. I’ve heard tales of folk buying food and returning the packaging for a refund saying they don’t like it. They offer a “100% Satisfaction Guarantee” and seemingly honour it almost completely.

AdobeWanKenobi · 27/09/2022 08:13

Joolianne · 27/09/2022 06:12

It doesnt say it was worn you cant wear something with tags hanging on???

Could I perhaps point you in the direction of your nearest high street on a Saturday evening where you’ll spot any number of women wearing dresses with tags hanging out so they can be returned.

A few of the online retailers started to add fabric strapping sewn into the clothing so you could try them on but not really wear them without sitting the straps. Returns without straps intact are not accepted.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.