Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Aibu to ask about contraception?

5 replies

CoffeeFirstPlease · 20/09/2022 06:15

I'm currently single so not using it for pregnancy prevention just period control.

I have the implant have had for 6 years first was great lighter/less periods (but never stopped altogether) This one is horrible more frequent/longer and heavier periods. I'm over it it's due for renewal in Nov but want it out sooner.

I suffer migraines so options are limited. Would the IUD or Mini pill work better at stopping periods? (I say stop but I know in my case this will probably mean lighter/less)

Thank you for getting this far.

OP posts:
Han776 · 20/09/2022 06:31

Hey, I have had the implant and mini pill in the past, my periods stopped on the pill, but not the implant.
the mini pill really messed me around in regards to my body and my hormones. It wasn’t a right fit for me but it may work Great for you

Bells3032 · 20/09/2022 06:51

The mini pill wrecked havoc with me and my periods went all over the place and drove me mad. My libedo also pretty much disappeared (May be less of an issue for you).

I had a great time on the iud. I had one period about every 6 months lasting about 12 hours and that was it. Never had any issues with it and only got it out to start a family, once thats complete I'll have another one inserted. It is the method most likely to stop periods.

whiteroseredrose · 20/09/2022 06:58

I am on my 3rd Mirena and only had periods for the first few months. They got lighter over time.

KangarooKenny · 20/09/2022 06:59

I’ve got a Mirena due to heavy periods. I still get a very light period.

MiniJellyBeans · 20/09/2022 07:23

Hi coffee

When you ask about the IUD, do you mean the copper IUD, or a hormonal intrauterine system (IUS) such as Mirena?

A copper IUD which is non-hormonal definitely won't stop your periods; if anything it's more likely to make them heavier (but if your natural cycle is regular, they will return to being regular/predictable).

An IUS thins out the endometrium and could well make your periods stop or become v light, especially if you persevere with it, but there's a chance it could also could result in prolonged unpredictable light bleeding. Same with the POP - progestogen only methods can all do this and unfortunately you don't know until you try.!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.