Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Iron levels less than 5 help please!!

54 replies

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:07

Shamelessly placing this here for traffic sorry 😥 I had a blood test last week and had a phone call back today to say my iron levels were so low they weren't able to measure them. This isn't a surprise I've had all the symptoms, so much so I haven't been able to even drive myself anywhere recently because I just can't concentrate enough and everything is dizzy/fuzzy.

With iron supplements this will take a few months to sort out so my question is in the meantime what can I do to help this and to make myself feel better? I'm stopping tea and coffee and trying to eat a bit more red meat (which I hate) and green veggies. Any other advice please?? I feel miserable at the moment I'm grouchy, exhausted, too drained to do most things other than work and constant headaches and dizziness. Any advice on the energy front would be so appreciated xx

OP posts:
Namechangefail123 · 14/09/2022 20:41

I've had levels of 1... Had an iron infusion. It turns out I have something called IRIDA syndrome. I self referred to UCLH as my trust rejected a referral to hematology

MargaretThursday · 14/09/2022 20:42

My levels got down to 2.4 during pregnancy. After only a few days of taking (lots of) tablets I did feel much better.
It was some time before they were in the normal level but I at least could do normal activities.

Slinkyminky22 · 14/09/2022 20:44

Haven't read all posts but have you considered Crohns disease? From what I've read it fits your symptoms. Why have they refused an iron infusion? You can request testing for Crohns.

Billymillie · 14/09/2022 20:46

So sorry to hear this. I also found out I am anaemic 10 days ago. Started taking THORNE IRON BISGLYCYNATE. Gentle on your tummy and no nasty effects. I take that with ester c 1000mg.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.