Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Am I going mad? Please help :(

51 replies

Fluffysheep12345 · 12/09/2022 00:34

This has been happening for a while but I ignored it because I had other things going on health-wise. But today at work it was particularly embarrassing and I’m starting to worry that I’m going mad.

I keep saying the wrong word for things. It’s just random words and not all the time, it usually happens maybe 5-7 times a week but today it happened 5 times at work alone! Eg,

-I went to tell a customer that I would ask the manager. Instead I told them I would ask the table.
-I tried to say I was going to get my water, instead I said I was going to get my watermelon
-I said I was going to eat fish for dinner, instead i said I was going to eat at pencils for dinner
-I tried to say to someone ‘I fully understand why you are upset’ instead I said ‘I fully why understand you’re upset’
-I tried to say has anyone seen my pen and accidentally said has anyone seen my puppy

am I going mad? This has only been a problem in the last year or two and nothing seems to trigger it (I’m not tired or stressed). It happens equally inside and outside of work. I get headaches a lot and had a particular awful one today so I’m wondering if that maybe made it a bit worse than normal.

I wasn’t upset or embarrassed about it before because it wasn’t a frequent thing and I just thought it was a daft habit I had, but it’s getting a bit embarrassing now! The words I say accidentally don’t usually have any link to the correct words and it’s not like they’re in my head. As soon as I’ve said it I realise straight away it’s wrong and I correct it but it’s obviously not ideal.

what is going on?! Is there anything I can do to stop this or am I actually going mad?!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

91 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
8%
You are NOT being unreasonable
92%
GrandTheftWalrus · 12/09/2022 00:36

Do you suffer from migraines?

FannyFifer · 12/09/2022 00:36

You need to get a Dr appointment. This can be a symptom of various things & need's investigated.

FartOutLoudDay · 12/09/2022 00:36

I think you should probably think about having a chat with your GP!

CuriousMama · 12/09/2022 00:38

I agree GP ring tomorrow.

AlmostAJillSandwich · 12/09/2022 00:39

Started happening to my mum, words not coming out how she meant to say them. After a few months went to the doctor, was referred for scan, with suspected mini strokes. It was 2 cancerous brain tumours and it was terminal. 2 months later she was dead. See a doctor, ASAP!.

Fluffysheep12345 · 12/09/2022 00:47

Sorry I didn’t mean to drip feed but I just realised I meant to also add- it sometimes happens when I’m writing but that’s been going on for a few years and i think that’s tiredness mainly causing that. If I’m writing or studying I’ll notice that I accidentally forget random letters or words or make mistakes with the wrong letters or words- if I was writing ‘the quick brown fox’ might write ‘the qui brown foc’ or even ‘the quick yellow fox’

that started a few years ago and used to only happen when I was studying too much or I was very tired but thats started happening more often now too.

I don’t know if I’m just tired without even realising and maybe that’s causing all these problems but I honestly feel like I’m going mad!

OP posts:
Fluffysheep12345 · 12/09/2022 00:50

GrandTheftWalrus · 12/09/2022 00:36

Do you suffer from migraines?

I wouldn’t say they’re as bad as migraines, just not very nice headaches - not a new thing though they started when I started puberty and never really went away. They’ve never been serious enough to need to go to the doctor- paracetamol sometimes takes the edge off them but if not the only thing I can really do is go to sleep for at least 3/4 hours ideally a full sleep and it gets rid of them by the time I wake up. They’re ALWAYS in the same place (right side at my temple, almost as if it’s behind my eye) and I’ve never had a headache anywhere else.

sometimes I think it’s hormonal other times I think it’s just one of those things that just happens. I don’t get any other migraine symptoms so I don’t think it’s bad as that, it’s just bad headaches. I’ll go weeks without them then suddenly I’ll get them everyday, it’s really irregular. I definitely don’t need glasses and I drink loads of water so I think it’s just one of those things unfortunately. Not serious enough for me to go to a doctor but not very pleasant either

OP posts:
Pixiedust1234 · 12/09/2022 00:55

Go see your GP as it can be many things.

Its linked to stress, migraines, menopause and brain fog from chronic conditions ie lupus. So don't immediately think its bad, but it can probably be treated or alleviated or managed but you need to know what it is first.

Cw112 · 12/09/2022 01:15

Using words other than what you are intending to use is a form of aphasia and can be caused by a few reasons but you need to go to the gp to find out the root cause. I'd make an appointment and bring a list of your symptoms to give them and take it from there. Hopefully it's nothing major and you'll get some reassurance but I would imagine they'll refer for some investigation or do some brain scans to check everything is as it should be.

MrsEricBana · 12/09/2022 01:23

How old are you OP? Don't panic but of course speak to your GP.

SheSaidHummingbird · 12/09/2022 01:29

You're minimising the issues. I don't know anyone who regularly mis-speaks. Five to seven times a week is already extremely concerning if there is no other palpable reason for this.

user1473878824 · 12/09/2022 01:52

OP in the kindest possibly way how have you been burying your head in sand for this long without going to the GP? You must know this isn’t normal and it must be hugely distressing for you but you need to speak to a doctor.

Tinitiny · 12/09/2022 01:57

Fluffysheep12345 · 12/09/2022 00:50

I wouldn’t say they’re as bad as migraines, just not very nice headaches - not a new thing though they started when I started puberty and never really went away. They’ve never been serious enough to need to go to the doctor- paracetamol sometimes takes the edge off them but if not the only thing I can really do is go to sleep for at least 3/4 hours ideally a full sleep and it gets rid of them by the time I wake up. They’re ALWAYS in the same place (right side at my temple, almost as if it’s behind my eye) and I’ve never had a headache anywhere else.

sometimes I think it’s hormonal other times I think it’s just one of those things that just happens. I don’t get any other migraine symptoms so I don’t think it’s bad as that, it’s just bad headaches. I’ll go weeks without them then suddenly I’ll get them everyday, it’s really irregular. I definitely don’t need glasses and I drink loads of water so I think it’s just one of those things unfortunately. Not serious enough for me to go to a doctor but not very pleasant either

You have described a migraine OP. That is what they’re like.

In the gentlest possible way, stop minimising this and get yourself to the GP ASAP. Mention the migraines as well as anything else you can think of.

Thegap · 12/09/2022 03:14

I know someone whose migraine affects speech like this. Mixes up words and one sided headache with severe eye pain. Gp can give med to stop the migraine.

ElevenOG · 12/09/2022 03:28

This happens to me but my psychiatrist gave an explanation because I was genuinely worried when I couldn't remember basic words mid-sentence. I have BPD and it's hugely affected my memory and concentration, not just because of the disorder but from my medication as well. If you have any mental health issues and/or are on any medications, it might be worth considering if that's a cause. But I still agree with what PP have said, get yourself to the doctor ASAP.

marvellousmaple · 12/09/2022 03:45

I did this for a while but it was during a very stressful situation. I'd suggest you get to a good doctor.

Twinsmummy1812 · 12/09/2022 04:43

You can have silent migraines without pain, my husband has them occasionally and he feels a bit unwell and it affects his eyes but no headache. If you are feeling off when it is happening then perhaps it is this? I have migraines and they affect my speech but I have the headache too.The fact that you have been having it for years is reassuring but if it’s escalating you should be checked out. Also maybe visit an optician for an eye test? They can pick up on things too.

Herejustforthisone · 12/09/2022 07:28

I think it’s just one of those things unfortunately. Not serious enough for me to go to a doctor but not very pleasant either

I totally disagree with you @Fluffysheep12345. You really need to see a doctor.

Elfrazzle · 12/09/2022 08:53

I have speech problems when i have migraines with aura and say the wrong words or mix things up. They are linked to hormones. I would look up migraine with aura/ silent migraine but also book in with your GP.

AmberGer · 12/09/2022 08:59

"I wouldn’t say they’re as bad as migraines, just not very nice headaches - not a new thing though they started when I started puberty and never really went away. They’ve never been serious enough to need to go to the doctor- paracetamol sometimes takes the edge off them but if not the only thing I can really do is go to sleep for at least 3/4 hours ideally a full sleep and it gets rid of them by the time I wake up. They’re ALWAYS in the same place (right side at my temple, almost as if it’s behind my eye) and I’ve never had a headache anywhere else."

This IS a migraine!

Fluffysheep12345 · 12/09/2022 11:34

I’m in my early 20s. I hadn’t even realised they could be migraines! I just thought they were bad headaches. I always thought migraines were debilitating and much worse than these- these are bad but most of the time they’re painful but I’m still able to do work/sport whereas my friend with migraines is completely flattened by them and wouldn’t be able to keep working or playing sport with them. They started overnight when I was 11- I used to get them regularly and was sometimes sick with them but that’s not happened for a while and I never have any visual problems and my eyes are fine, I’ve had them tested and I don’t need glasses

OP posts:
IodineQueen · 12/09/2022 11:44

It does sound like migraines. They don’t necessarily cause debilitating headaches, and sometimes they don’t cause a headache at all. You need to see your GP and look into getting some treatment for it. I would also recommend reading info from the Migraine Trust migrainetrust.org they have a helpline and live chat.

IodineQueen · 12/09/2022 11:45

But it’s also important for other causes to be ruled out so book an appointment ASAP.

SingingWaffleDoggy · 12/09/2022 11:52

I had this happen I ften the year after I’d have my DD so think it’s linked to tiredness. I’d do it for several days at a time. I still say stupid things if I’m in stressful social situations.
It can be a sign of more serious things, but I’d probably get a bit of rest and see if it resolves itself

IncessantNameChanger · 12/09/2022 11:55

I echo making an appointment to see your gp. I has some weird symptoms with weirdly presenting migraines when around 30. They suspected a tumour. When I was told it was migraines I then got the classic full blown symptoms

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.