Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I know this is cheeky but

11 replies

afterthenightday · 11/09/2022 18:07

Surely if you know it’s “cheeky” then don’t fucking ask.

I feel done with people taking advantage tbh.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

35 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
37%
You are NOT being unreasonable
63%
Alapecia · 11/09/2022 18:10

Yes but sometimes people have a weird idea of what cheeky is.
Especially these days in our ultra pc world

TooMuchToDoTooLittleInclination · 11/09/2022 18:12

Disagree.

I'm usually left wondering when the cheeky bit will be asked.

sleepymum50 · 11/09/2022 18:30

My H does “I hope you don’t mind but” then proceeds to tell me he’s already done something he knows he should have checked with me first. Includes things like arranging a BBQ, inviting extra people to dinner and even promising to pay a relatives rent. He was dumbfounded when on the last example I just said No.

Sparklesocks · 11/09/2022 18:30

I don’t think its always a blanket thing. There are degrees of cheeky and sometimes people just say that as they’re worried it’s cheeky or feel uncomfy asking, when it’s actually a reasonable request.

Theres a difference between something like ‘I know this is cheeky but would it be OK if you pick up DS from school with your kids on Wednesday while I go to my GP appt?’ and ‘I know this is cheeky but can DS tag along on your holiday so I can have a few days off?’.

afterthenightday · 11/09/2022 18:37

So my example would be someone asking for a favour, which you agree to do and then them asking for something additional on top of that favour.

OP posts:
Testina · 11/09/2022 18:39

I disagree. When someone says, “I know this is cheeky but…” they are signalling to you that they know they asking a lot - and that acknowledgment is polite. You can still say no.

Flowerytoe · 11/09/2022 18:42

Yeah I think being more accurate would be...

I know this could put you out but if it doesn't put you out too much can you do xyz

Or

I know this could be interpreted as cheeky from your point of view but I have exhausted all other avenues

Swalewhale · 11/09/2022 18:45

"I know this cheeky but I can I pinch a couple of tea bags until I go to the shop?"

"I know this is cheeky but will you lend me £400 and drive me to the airport at 3am tomorrow?"

There are various levels of cheekiness.

Twawmyarse · 11/09/2022 18:47

Tbf I usually say it before asking something that isn't really that cheeky!

I just really hate asking for favours or putting people out for ANYTHING so try to forewarn them I'm about to ask something I don't really want to ask. DH goes mad at me telling me no one could ever misconstrue the things I'm asking as being cheeky!

If you're talking about genuine CF's then fair enough!

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 11/09/2022 19:38

Swalewhale · 11/09/2022 18:45

"I know this cheeky but I can I pinch a couple of tea bags until I go to the shop?"

"I know this is cheeky but will you lend me £400 and drive me to the airport at 3am tomorrow?"

There are various levels of cheekiness.

Yeah definitely this.

afterthenightday · 11/09/2022 19:48

It’s not the phrase so much, it’s just in some instances you know you’re taking the piss so why still do it?

I’m utterly fed up right now. Of being taken for a mug and allowing it to happen.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.