Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To go to London tomorrow.......

91 replies

Dunnoburt · 09/09/2022 23:39

Bit late really as I've already bought the train tickets.... just wanted to lay some flowers, pay my respects and be a part of history..... everyone (apart from my 6 year old🥰😍) thinks I'm being stupid for going because it's going to be super busy..... I'm starting to regret my decision.....AIBU to go?🤔 ....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

233 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Culldesack · 10/09/2022 09:58

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 09:56

I get what I said, I don't get your obsession with me though. Are you upset that people don't give a fuck about the queen? Because some people really don't and would like there to be minimal disruption. Hope that helps. 🙏

If not, happy to PM you and explain further why you are wasting your time.

*Fourth

5th movie incoming x

MrsLargeEmbodied · 10/09/2022 10:06

i want to go

Livelovebehappy · 10/09/2022 10:25

HeadacheEarthquake · 09/09/2022 23:47

Off to London for work.

Glad it's not cancelled and being fed "force majeure" as a reason for not getting paid.

Hope my route isn't mobbed by people mourning a comple stranger?

She’s kind of not a stranger though. We all know her. Her entire life has been plastered across the media for the past 96 years. What do you think should happen after the death of someone who has been on the throne for 70 years? If people want to mourn her in a way they want to, then leave them be.

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 10:26

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 09:58

5th movie incoming x

Ok, as wonderful as this has been, you're obviously a troll with nothing useful to say. Bye!

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 10:38

Livelovebehappy · 10/09/2022 10:25

She’s kind of not a stranger though. We all know her. Her entire life has been plastered across the media for the past 96 years. What do you think should happen after the death of someone who has been on the throne for 70 years? If people want to mourn her in a way they want to, then leave them be.

thanks for actually making an opinion, unlike @Culldesack who is struggling, badly.

To some she was important, to others, including myself and many people in my family and friendship circle, she isn't relevant in any part of my life. I guess she is head of a church for some, but I'm an atheist. To me, very much a stranger, they all are.

Some people will be out of work and out of pocket over the next few days because 'Royal Demise' is a legal reason for event organisers to cancel contracts with no remuneration, which I do feel very sad about, as well as if we have to have another bank holiday which will affect my business yet again.

I've not actually stopped anyone mourning but I have made it clear that I don't want to be included in that and I hope that those who find the monarchy problematic don't find their business disrupted too badly at a financially tight time.

FWIW I do enjoy discussing the relevance with people like yourself, we won't change each other's views but it's always interesting.

I think OP would have expected a mixed response otherwise she wouldn't be posting on AIBU

I think she's BU

sunglassesonthetable · 10/09/2022 11:21

There’s something so magical about loads of people being in the same place showing their respects for the same thing.

yes

zingally · 10/09/2022 12:26

I've seriously considered it!

But honestly, this past year, I feel like all I've done is sit on trains, and I'm done in with them. I live in the midlands, so it would be a trek, and I just haven't got the energy.
I'll satisfy myself with watching it all on telly!

Dunnoburt · 10/09/2022 22:55

Got back about 3 hours ago..... and in all honesty.... it was the best day I've had since before lockdown.....a tonic for the mental health so to speak (afraid of(but survived) Covid).....after the previous comments about a "good vibe" decided to take my 6 year old for her first ever trip to London and I can genuinely say we saw nothing but kindness. I've not been for over 12 years, despite only being 60 miles away and I've loved every second today.....amazing to be a part of history and entwining that with nippers first "real life" London experience was perfect.....I can only comment on my day but the crowds I was expecting were nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be.......yes, we ran into a protest at Westminster (busiest place for us, even over The Mall/Palace), but nothing to worry about safety wise.....a day that hopefully she, nor I will ever forget! If you think I'm being unreasonable then please move on, after today I've realised that IMO I wasnt BU.....it was so very worth it, the atmosphere was brilliant!!! 😊

OP posts:
EmmaH2022 · 10/09/2022 23:00

Thanks OP
I can go on Monday but the crowds are putting me off...if it's not that bad, I'll go. I'm in London. Maybe I will go late and get the night bus home.

EmmaH2022 · 10/09/2022 23:01

Although I don't know what the loo situation is if I go late....anyone know if Green Park loos are 24 hour?!

SparklingXmas · 10/09/2022 23:03

I’m going next Saturday with my 6yr DD- I know it will be busy, so will pace ourselves

Septemberslooming · 10/09/2022 23:51

Dunnoburt · 10/09/2022 22:55

Got back about 3 hours ago..... and in all honesty.... it was the best day I've had since before lockdown.....a tonic for the mental health so to speak (afraid of(but survived) Covid).....after the previous comments about a "good vibe" decided to take my 6 year old for her first ever trip to London and I can genuinely say we saw nothing but kindness. I've not been for over 12 years, despite only being 60 miles away and I've loved every second today.....amazing to be a part of history and entwining that with nippers first "real life" London experience was perfect.....I can only comment on my day but the crowds I was expecting were nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be.......yes, we ran into a protest at Westminster (busiest place for us, even over The Mall/Palace), but nothing to worry about safety wise.....a day that hopefully she, nor I will ever forget! If you think I'm being unreasonable then please move on, after today I've realised that IMO I wasnt BU.....it was so very worth it, the atmosphere was brilliant!!! 😊

You knew you needed to go and I'm pleased you did. What a memory for your child.

Culldesack · 11/09/2022 03:54

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 10:38

thanks for actually making an opinion, unlike @Culldesack who is struggling, badly.

To some she was important, to others, including myself and many people in my family and friendship circle, she isn't relevant in any part of my life. I guess she is head of a church for some, but I'm an atheist. To me, very much a stranger, they all are.

Some people will be out of work and out of pocket over the next few days because 'Royal Demise' is a legal reason for event organisers to cancel contracts with no remuneration, which I do feel very sad about, as well as if we have to have another bank holiday which will affect my business yet again.

I've not actually stopped anyone mourning but I have made it clear that I don't want to be included in that and I hope that those who find the monarchy problematic don't find their business disrupted too badly at a financially tight time.

FWIW I do enjoy discussing the relevance with people like yourself, we won't change each other's views but it's always interesting.

I think OP would have expected a mixed response otherwise she wouldn't be posting on AIBU

I think she's BU

I wasn't "struggling badly" with anything. Your initial reply was provocative and was all about you. I responded, as did others, then you went on some childish cat and mouse game. Now, you have been more reasoned, so don't try and make out I was the unreasonable one.

mamabear715 · 11/09/2022 09:12

@Dunnoburt
So pleased that all went well for you.
I still feel that you went for those of us who can't attend too! x

MrsLargeEmbodied · 11/09/2022 09:15

glad to hear your update and it went so well with so much kindness

Jobs4kids · 11/09/2022 11:24

Really looking forward to my visit with DS on Friday. A few people on my Facebook went yesterday too and had equally good days. I've booked a table for lunch too so we're assured a break and a sit down!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.