Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To go to London tomorrow.......

91 replies

Dunnoburt · 09/09/2022 23:39

Bit late really as I've already bought the train tickets.... just wanted to lay some flowers, pay my respects and be a part of history..... everyone (apart from my 6 year old🥰😍) thinks I'm being stupid for going because it's going to be super busy..... I'm starting to regret my decision.....AIBU to go?🤔 ....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

233 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
Jobs4kids · 10/09/2022 08:15

Contemplating going up next Friday as I have a day off (live in the suburbs so not a long journey for me). I'm no royalist and will not be laying flowers (sure there are quite enough!) but would like to go up to be a part of history and soak up the atmosphere. Went up for the jubilee for the same reason and am so glad I did.

EarringsandLipstick · 10/09/2022 08:17

probably had a pretty shit life luxuries aside

Er... what would make you think that?

But of course, do go if you would like to.

PenguinMan · 10/09/2022 08:24

I couldn’t think of anything worse than being part of the RF.

You have to do everything a certain way and you’re constantly judged by the public.

I’d hate to be a celebrity but at least they have more of a choice.
Being born into the RF means you’re trapped.

ScribblingPixie · 10/09/2022 08:31

I worked in the Kensington area when the Princess of Wales died and the tubes were full of people carrying flowers and wearing thoughtful expressions. It made a big impression on me which I haven't forgotten, and I expect you'll be glad you made the trip.

UnshakenNeedsStirring · 10/09/2022 08:33

Why would you? Queenie is dead, no one cares. What respect are you paying and to whom? Ridiculous! Cant you think of better ways to spend your money and time?

UnshakenNeedsStirring · 10/09/2022 08:35

PenguinMan · 10/09/2022 08:24

I couldn’t think of anything worse than being part of the RF.

You have to do everything a certain way and you’re constantly judged by the public.

I’d hate to be a celebrity but at least they have more of a choice.
Being born into the RF means you’re trapped.

Trapped? In a castle with nothing to worry about? Having some one break in your shoes, drive without a permit or ever carry a wallet? A life of utter luxury and not having to dip you hand in your pocket or worry about bills or heating? Such a bloody hard life isnt it when all you do is wave at peasants

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 08:37

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 08:09

You must need it explained to you, or something.

I'm fine, thankyou for your bizarre offer.

I'm assuming you're off to go and wail at the wall today?

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 08:39

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 08:37

I'm fine, thankyou for your bizarre offer.

I'm assuming you're off to go and wail at the wall today?

You must STILL need it explaining to you then.

Darbs76 · 10/09/2022 08:40

It’s not stupid at all. I’m thinking of going tomorrow. I’m only 30 mins outside of london and go a lot. We had a lovely time there at the jubilee recently. We are planning to go and line the route and I’m debating going to see the Queen lying in state, but I think that will depend as the queue will be very long. But I will be certainly paying my respects. London is always busy, but yes it will be mega busy so if you’re not a fan of crowds I’d swerve it

Westfacing · 10/09/2022 08:44

I hope you enjoy your trip.

I live about a 40-minute walk away so will go and have a look around - why not it's a moment in history. I'm not a monarchist particularly but it's a big event and I like to get 'the vibe' as someone said upthread. It will be my daily walk, might as well do something a bit interesting when pounding the pavements.

When Diana died I was working in Victoria and on the Monday a few of us went to Buckingham Palace at lunchtime - it was a huge national event and a shock. It would have been odd not to be curious and take a 5-minute walk to just be there at such a momentous time.

mamabear715 · 10/09/2022 08:50

@Dunnoburt
Good for you. I like to think you are also going for those of us who can't.. ignore the negative nellies on here. Hope your day goes well, hugs. x

qpmz · 10/09/2022 08:58

Levellingdown · 10/09/2022 01:21

Who are you paying respects to? Queen? She’s dead. No/one in her family knows who you are?

plus, yes, TFL are treating this as a potential emergency situation due to numbers

You don't pay respects to someone who's alive!
You don't have to know them personally either!

Sunnyshoeshine · 10/09/2022 08:59

I took DD (15months) yesterday as we live in London. It's really well organised (as you would expect), people are being really friendly to one another. I came off the overground at Victoria and you are basically funneled along to Wellington Arch and then queue down Constitution Hill. Took approx 40mins of queueing to get to the palace. I expect today will be much busier but there are obviously a lot of police monitoring the crowds anyway.

Catlover77 · 10/09/2022 09:01

LemonTT · 10/09/2022 07:28

For those in northern regions, it might be useful to know she will lie in state in Edinburgh where there will be a Kings guard and Princes Guard. There will also be a procession from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

I’m not a royalist. But I do realise that life does always need to carry on as normal. I can see why this applies here and in lots of other situations. Respect and gratitude doesn’t need to be explained.

I think it sad that some people aren’t able to see that. I guess it is because of dogma not a lack of emotional intelligence and empathy.

Well thanks for thinking of us northerners but I don’t know anybody who gives two jots.

LampLighter414 · 10/09/2022 09:05

I imagine it’s a covid spreading ground with those crowds, the tears, splutters, wailing

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 09:05

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 08:39

You must STILL need it explaining to you then.

That's a yes then. Enjoy your big day.

Itsokay2020 · 10/09/2022 09:11

OP if you want to go, go!

I don’t need much of an excuse to visit London, it’s one of my favourite cities. We are going tomorrow, but we’ll drive in and take the dog! Not done that before so it will be an adventure for her, and an afternoon of reflection for us.

I haven’t decided on whether to take flowers, we might instead donate an amount to one of the Queen’s charities. We also realise we may not be able to get that close, due to the crowds, but we both feel a sense of wanting to be there.

It’s a moment in history and I still feel desperately sad at her passing. I may return at the end of next week to see her lying in state, but that will be trickier with work commitments, and I would do that alone (which I am happy to do).

Each to their own, we should all do what we are comfortable with doing

PenguinMan · 10/09/2022 09:11

Trapped? In a castle with nothing to worry about? Having some one break in your shoes, drive without a permit or ever carry a wallet? A life of utter luxury and not having to dip you hand in your pocket or worry about bills or heating? Such a bloody hard life isnt it when all you do is wave at peasants

I would absolutely hate it!

I enjoy my freedoms too much.

I’d rather be poor and free, than rich and trapped.
(Obviously I’d love to be rich and free)

AuntieMarys · 10/09/2022 09:19

We are in London for a few days next week ( booked weeks ago) but luckily nowhere near that part of the city. Dh would like to go to Westminster Hall so he may do that. I won't

tapdancingmum · 10/09/2022 09:33

I'm going tomorrow and will try to go for the lying in state and possibly the funeral.

DH says we'll see more on the TV which I don't doubt but DD's partner will be lining the street somewhere as he is in the army and she wants to go to be somewhere near him.

My thinking about it is that this is a part of history and I will always kick myself for not going. If Charles lives as long as the Queen did I will be in my 70's so, possibly, won't want to do it.

Have a good day.

Scaredypup · 10/09/2022 09:39

I’m in walking distance and now going. I feel like I should for some reason but have no actual desire too.
would have liked to have gone for the jubilee but I absolutely couldn’t have stood in those crowds.

Scaredypup · 10/09/2022 09:41

should have said -*NOT going

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 09:48

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 09:05

That's a yes then. Enjoy your big day.

Sure we could make a forth movie: You Still don't get what you said on Mumsnet.

BooksAndHooks · 10/09/2022 09:55

My 11 year old dd and 13 year old ds have asked to go. We won’t be laying flowers but just going to take them to have a wander and they would like to see the big screens at Piccadilly Circus.

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 09:56

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 09:48

Sure we could make a forth movie: You Still don't get what you said on Mumsnet.

I get what I said, I don't get your obsession with me though. Are you upset that people don't give a fuck about the queen? Because some people really don't and would like there to be minimal disruption. Hope that helps. 🙏

If not, happy to PM you and explain further why you are wasting your time.

*Fourth

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.