Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To go to London tomorrow.......

91 replies

Dunnoburt · 09/09/2022 23:39

Bit late really as I've already bought the train tickets.... just wanted to lay some flowers, pay my respects and be a part of history..... everyone (apart from my 6 year old🥰😍) thinks I'm being stupid for going because it's going to be super busy..... I'm starting to regret my decision.....AIBU to go?🤔 ....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

233 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
38%
You are NOT being unreasonable
62%
IncessantNameChanger · 10/09/2022 01:15

Just on the train back home from going myself. It was busy to lay the flowers. Mainly because people was just standing there at the bit where they let you in. You could walk down further and lay the flowers in peace without the selfies and photos.

I haven't been into London since pre covid and I used to go multiple times a year. It was lovely to be back up there. Made the visit worth it by going to my fave restaurant in China Town as well.

Arenanewbie · 10/09/2022 01:19

I wouldn’t want to do it but you wanted and bought the tickets it would be stupid not to go.

Levellingdown · 10/09/2022 01:21

Who are you paying respects to? Queen? She’s dead. No/one in her family knows who you are?

plus, yes, TFL are treating this as a potential emergency situation due to numbers

OooPourUsACupLove · 10/09/2022 01:22

"A good vibe" - I get it. I've been to funerals where someone has died at the end of a long life, many of the mourners have decades of knowing each other and there is as much love and laughter as tears.

I think at 96, with a life like no one else ever, if there was ever a death that was best recognised by celebrating the life lived, it's this one.

avamiah · 10/09/2022 01:41

Levellingdown · 10/09/2022 01:21

Who are you paying respects to? Queen? She’s dead. No/one in her family knows who you are?

plus, yes, TFL are treating this as a potential emergency situation due to numbers

You know you are going to get a lot of negative comments but I have to say that 90 percent of me Agrees with you as yes she was our Queen and I’m 49 and she has always been there in my 49 years and now she has passed away .

But is the Queens death going to Effect my life?, the answer is No .

yubgummy · 10/09/2022 01:42

Agree there is a good vibe. I work nearby and have popped over a couple times just to be part of it all really. Good vibe doesn't mean partying crowd, just a nice atmosphere of people pleasantly reflecting on her life, smiling, chatting about her. Lots of people just sitting on the roundabout thing.

They have dedicated a specific section of Green Park to lay flowers at the base of the trees. I think that is a nice option and none of the Buckingham Palace crowds. There are bins to put the plastic wrappers in, good idea I think.

You can still mill around the palace/roundabout and feel the atmosphere. The queue bit is only if you want to go directly up to the gates to stick your flowers in there. Might change in coming days.

Dunnoburt · 10/09/2022 07:15

A mixed bag of responses! I'm not a Royalist etc and just because I didn't "know" The Queen, it doesn't mean I can't have respect for the fact that she worked like an absolute Trojan 24/7 and probably had a pretty shit life luxuries aside. It's more the "once in my lifetime" event I want to be part of!.....anyway, I'm up showered and ready to rock and roll! 😝so apologies in advance if one gets in the way of anyone's normal commute! 🙄

OP posts:
RichardsGear · 10/09/2022 07:21

What makes you say she had a shitty life, luxuries aside?
If you've bought the tickets it seems a waste not to go.

RichardsGear · 10/09/2022 07:21

Pretty shit life, rather.

LemonTT · 10/09/2022 07:28

For those in northern regions, it might be useful to know she will lie in state in Edinburgh where there will be a Kings guard and Princes Guard. There will also be a procession from Balmoral to Edinburgh.

I’m not a royalist. But I do realise that life does always need to carry on as normal. I can see why this applies here and in lots of other situations. Respect and gratitude doesn’t need to be explained.

I think it sad that some people aren’t able to see that. I guess it is because of dogma not a lack of emotional intelligence and empathy.

UncomfortableBadger · 10/09/2022 07:28

Anybody know how busy it is around Victoria Station and Chelsea at the moment?

I’d planned to travel to London this weekend on the train from the South West to visit my Mum (to mark a major date for her and my Dad, who we lost recently). However I’m only a few weeks on from major surgery and am still a bit wobbly & cautious.

Before the news about the Queen broke, I had thought I could quietly & gingerly make my way through Victoria (from Paddington) and around Chelsea for the memorial for Dad, but if there are now huge crowds and packed trains with no seats, I’m not sure I can manage it so soon after surgery 😔

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 07:32

LargeglassofRosePlease · 10/09/2022 00:49

🙄

You must need it explained to you or something?

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 07:34

Dunnoburt · 10/09/2022 07:15

A mixed bag of responses! I'm not a Royalist etc and just because I didn't "know" The Queen, it doesn't mean I can't have respect for the fact that she worked like an absolute Trojan 24/7 and probably had a pretty shit life luxuries aside. It's more the "once in my lifetime" event I want to be part of!.....anyway, I'm up showered and ready to rock and roll! 😝so apologies in advance if one gets in the way of anyone's normal commute! 🙄

Safe journey x

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 10/09/2022 07:35

HeadacheEarthquake · 09/09/2022 23:54

Sorry, you're not making a jot of sense Grin

Yes they are

Simonjt · 10/09/2022 07:37

I go past the palace on my morning run, at about 6:50 when I went by there were already lots of people, lots walking from hyde park towards the palace as well.

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 07:42

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 10/09/2022 07:35

Yes they are

You must also be quite odd, then

PenguinMan · 10/09/2022 07:44

If you’re going to visit Buckingham palace and lay some flowers then definitely go.

There’s something so magical about loads of people being in the same place showing their respects for the same thing.

This is a once in a lifetime event and I think the amount of people from all over the world will make it even more of a memorable experience.

If you’re going to London for any other reason than the Queen then I’d avoid it like the plague!

LondonLovie · 10/09/2022 07:47

You can easily walk from Victoria station to Bucks Palace.

PenguinMan · 10/09/2022 07:49

Who are you paying respects to? Queen
She’s dead.

In the UK it’s quite common to pay your respects to someone by laying flowers or just going and showing your respects.
Even though they are dead and will probably never know.

I remember after Freddie Mercury’s death they came from all over the world and laid flowers and wrote messages outside of his house.

GreenGreenGrassBlue · 10/09/2022 07:50

Do it we planned only a couple of days before to go for one of the jubilee days! So glad we did

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 07:51

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 07:42

You must also be quite odd, then

Give it up me me me.

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 08:02

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 07:51

Give it up me me me.

🤣

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Chakraleaf · 10/09/2022 08:09

I'm travelling with 18yr old DS next week to do same.

Culldesack · 10/09/2022 08:09

HeadacheEarthquake · 10/09/2022 08:02

🤣

You must need it explained to you, or something.

abovedecknotbelow · 10/09/2022 08:11

Septemberslooming · 10/09/2022 00:09

I'm travelling from NI to London so certainly don't think you're being unreasonable.

My family came over yesterday for a funeral, 13 hours door to door. JL to LGW so good luck.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.