Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Interview cancelled

14 replies

Coronationstreet · 08/09/2022 17:35

I was meant to have an interview tomorrow morning for what sounded like a great job, well paid etc.

I've just had a message now saying, sorry, the position is no longer available.

I spoke to them on Tuesday and they asked me when I could come in for interview. I said this Friday as I couldn't do Wednesday or Thursday, it was too short notice with work.

Anyway, I suspect they'll have interviewed someone today and given them the position after all. They're entitled to do that I guess, though I'm pretty disappointed.

Has anyone else had this happen?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

23 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
26%
You are NOT being unreasonable
74%
Darbs76 · 08/09/2022 17:36

Normally they’d interview all candidates - could be the jobs been pulled

Coronationstreet · 08/09/2022 17:36

Possibly, though I wonder what could have changed in 2 days, when I spoke to them on Tuesday it sounded like they really needed someone.

OP posts:
Johnnysgirl · 08/09/2022 17:37

Darbs76 · 08/09/2022 17:36

Normally they’d interview all candidates - could be the jobs been pulled

Most likely.

KangarooKenny · 08/09/2022 17:37

I agree. They usually interview everyone.

Coronationstreet · 08/09/2022 17:37

Maybe they gave it to someone internally.

OP posts:
CapMarvel · 08/09/2022 17:39

Could be the jobs been pulled or they've found someone who they think is a good fit already. These things happen, unfortunately.

Mumdiva99 · 08/09/2022 17:40

Business needs and budgets change all the time. Might be no longer a job is available.

Letsbekindplease · 08/09/2022 18:10

Sorry op. That’s rubbish. Hope something better comes your way.
you could always show some interest and give them a call and asked to be considered for an interview if another position becalmed available.

BlooberryBiskits · 08/09/2022 18:14

It’s much more likely that the role has gone on hold/been pulled/gone to someone internal than they found the ‘perfect candidate’ & have cancelled later interviews

Apparently this happens with 1/3 jobs - it’s definitely happened to me a couple of times

Tillow4ever · 08/09/2022 18:17

A couple of years back my husband was asked to come and interview for a job on a Tuesday. It was barely an interview, they showed him round, gave him the car list, etc. said they had interviews booked all week, the last Friday lunchtime.

He got a phone call offering him the job Wednesday afternoon - they said he was way above the other candidates and after interviewing a couple of others they didn't want to waste the other peoples time.

So it's highly possible they found someone that simply ticked every box and they didn't want to waste your time. Sorry, it sucks.

Or it could be like the company I work for - they literally announced a recruitment freeze last week. Any existing interviews etc cancelled.

Poppins2016 · 08/09/2022 18:19

Sadly, I've worked for a company that had a habit of bad behaviour around interviews... they'd either interview someone for 'comparison purposes' (i.e. waste the candidates time for the sake of it), or they'd arrange interviews across a period of two weeks and then cancel the later interviews if they found someone without giving the other candidates a chance. I suppose the latter scenario could have been viewed as time wasting had the interviews gone ahead, but this was a pattern of behaviour and I saw so many interviews cancelled that it seemed ridiculous, with no consideration given to fair chances or the fact that candidates will have scheduled annual leave etc. (not always reversible, so wasted).

I'd try to look on the bright side... you probably don't want to work for a company that behaves like this! The company I worked at had a pattern of bad behaviour when it came to HR and fair expectations and the recruitment stage was just the start...

Summerofcontent · 08/09/2022 18:19

Or the outgoing person has changed their mind🤔

Unexpectedbaby · 08/09/2022 18:31

A number of companies are starting with recruitment freezes which in some cases apply to current vacancies also.

MickeyMouseEars · 08/09/2022 18:31

I've had something similar but not the same, but your post has reminded me.

I once interviewed with a company over Teams and everything seemed to be going great. They contacted me afterwards to say that they really liked me and invited me to attend a second interview with one of the senior partners and in all honesty it sounded like the job was in the bag aside from this formality. The problem was they wanted to do it face to face and the senior partner was a 'very important and very busy' man so it had to be to his schedule 🙄I booked last minute annual leave from work to go and then the morning of the interview they called to say that there had been an emergency so they needed to cancel. Very sorry etc. but they would call as soon as possible to rearrange.

That was 18 months ago and I'm still waiting....😂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.