My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To absolutely HATE wine with every fibre of my body?

136 replies

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 20:49

Just the smell makes me gag. I cannot swallow it without being physically sick.

My friends and colleagues all seem to be obsessed with wine. Some don’t believe/can’t seem to understand it when I say I despise all types of wine and ask me to try theirs in an attempt to change my mind…

Please tell me I am not alone!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

298 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
threecupsofteaminimum · 08/09/2022 09:33

People saying it tastes like poison, it literally IS poison, all alcohol is, yes even that posh expensive stuff!

CoreyTaylorsbiggestfan · 08/09/2022 09:40

What kind of drinks do you normally drink?
The only alcoholic beverage I like is wine! Normally a dry white wine, Sauvignon blanc, then I quite like a number of red wines, rioja and Shiraz!
Don't mind a dry Prosecco or champagne.
I don't really like sweet drinks or pop!

Tirediam · 08/09/2022 09:50

Last year I loved wine and Prosecco and now I can’t stand it. The hangovers are not worth it and it just doesn’t taste nice.
Ive been converted to gin. Could drink gin every day (obvs don’t!)

MintyChipton · 08/09/2022 09:58

I like some white wines. Wine generally doesn't like me though, some varieties give me an instant headache now. I also seem to get drunk very quickly with wine where as I can drink gin or rum all day.

Glittertwins · 08/09/2022 10:06

I never used to like wine until we got more expensive stuff by accident when I was student. I like the very dry whites and strong reds like another PP but I still detest beers and lagers despite trying different types.

ShirleyPhallus · 08/09/2022 10:07

justfiveminutes · 08/09/2022 07:29

I feel the same about tea. It's such a big part of British culture and loved by nearly everyone, but I don't like it and don't even like the smell when others are drinking it. I think it's normal for some people to dislike what others seem to enjoy a lot isn't it.

I agree with you on the tea thing, I really dislike it and the whole “oh is it time for another cup of tea ha ha ha!” about 8 minutes after they’ve finished the previous cup. That horrible milky tea breath smell is awful too and people who drink tea all day often have yellow stained teeth too

ShirleyPhallus · 08/09/2022 10:10

tapdancingmum · 08/09/2022 07:42

I find the wine culture utterly bizarre and people are shocked when I say I don't like wine. They always ask what I'm going to drink when I get home from work as they always have a couple of glasses of wine every night! Considering I finish work at 3.30 I generally have a cup of tea when I get in 😃. People just can't accept that I don't like/drink wine to the extent that they tell me I'm drinking the wrong one or buy me bottles as presents which I either give to the other members of staff or throw away but if I said I didn't drink coffee I don't think they would respond in the same way.

Wine doesn't agree with me - I get a really weird feeling in my shoulders when I have tried wine, it's like someone is pressing down on them and it hurts.

I don't drink at home as I can't really be bothered so will stick with tea, juice, squash or a can of coke in the evening. When we go to the pub I'll have a cider, larger, larger shandy, larger and lime or a soft drink depending on what mood I'm in.

I think the pain in your shoulders is trapped wind

10HailMarys · 08/09/2022 10:26

I love a glass or several of wine myself, but I think it's probably an acquired taste and I don't think you're alone in hating it. I have a friend who won't touch it - she drinks alcohol but only drinks that are very sweet and don't really taste like they're alcoholic. Just different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

ginghamstarfish · 08/09/2022 10:34

I don't hate it, and drink it occasionally but always think 'what a waste of delicious grapes' ...

DelilahBucket · 08/09/2022 10:38

I love wine. I DO NOT like cheap wine 😂
Twenty years ago I only had sweet rose or white with lemonade, couldn't stand red. Now I like it very dry and can't stand the sweet stuff. Tastebuds change.

MingeofDeath · 08/09/2022 10:39

I'm with you OP. Cant stand the stuff. I have tried many times over the years but just cant get away with it. Most people are surprised as well when they find out .

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.