My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To absolutely HATE wine with every fibre of my body?

136 replies

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 20:49

Just the smell makes me gag. I cannot swallow it without being physically sick.

My friends and colleagues all seem to be obsessed with wine. Some don’t believe/can’t seem to understand it when I say I despise all types of wine and ask me to try theirs in an attempt to change my mind…

Please tell me I am not alone!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

298 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
madasawethen · 08/09/2022 04:39

I wonder if it is a genetic thing for some people? Different taste buds or something?
To me, it tastes very bitter, sour and smells like something gone off. The same with beer and lager. Beer kind of reminds me of vomit in the smell and texture of it. I can't stand any of it.
To those who love wine and beer, what does it taste like to you? I'm curious.

Hawkins001 · 08/09/2022 04:46

I'm varied really

Blindedbythesun · 08/09/2022 06:23

I love red wine although can see a decline in the quality of mid range wines at the moment. I can’t afford the v good stuff. I imagine it will become even more expensive with climate change and growers having to alter grapes they grow etc…

hate Prosecco! I never understood why so many people were thinking they were sophisticated drinking it. It gets you messily drunk with an appalling hangover the next day. Reminds me of my youth and bottles of cider! Drink or don’t drink what you like op. Strange people are so interested in it tbh

urrrgh46 · 08/09/2022 06:31

My parents are wine snobs and used to say to me "you'll like it when you grow up" as some kind of put down when I was an older teenager/young twenty something. Still hate it age 46 and tbh don't really like anything alcoholic at all. I'm basically tee total and have been virtually all my life. My eldest DD (21) is exactly the same as me as is our 4th DC (16) who's had the odd sip of things and hates all alcohol. I think there's something genetic there as DH likes wine and alcoholic drinks as do DS (20) and DS (18)

Goldmember · 08/09/2022 06:33

I like some wines but I have a cheap palate. Can't drink white wine, I've tried and it's too vinegary to me. Don't like fizz, champagne or prosecco.
I love a sweet rosé, white zinfandel is my favourite although I know most disagree that it is actually wine. I like some smooth reds like merlot. Not keen on the spicy dry reds like rioja.

A lot of flavours fall in the wine category but its OK not to like it. I cannot like gin no matter how many I try.

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 08/09/2022 06:40

Each to their own.
I feel the same way about coffee and many spirits.

lasvegasherewe · 08/09/2022 06:49

Wine tastes like shit but it is relatively cheap and gets me rat arsed quickly so that's why I drink it.

GoldPig · 08/09/2022 06:58

I used to love wine (also gin, ale, and single malt whisky). I quit drinking alcohol this year and now the smell or anticipation of the taste just brings the ethanol to the fore. If the alcohol rather than fruits or malts is what leaps out at you I’m not surprised it’s unappealing. It is toxic after all.

OceanbreezeSun · 08/09/2022 07:04

I also hate the taste of wine.

Always have.

I thought my taste buds might evolve but no, wine still tastes like actual poison to me. It tastes like I’m drinking chemicals🤢

I have tried very cheap to very expensive, red, white etc and the only one I ever swallowed without pulling a face was a mild fizzy rosé I had at my wedding. It was recommended by a family member who knows a lot about wine and it’s the only one I’ve ever actually enjoyed to this day.

Ravensclawdropout · 08/09/2022 07:15

My husband's mum's family have an allergy to wine which my 21 yr old daughter inherited. I can't remember the chemical in wine they react to but for obvious reasons none of them can stand the taste or smell.

Sniffypete · 08/09/2022 07:17

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 20:55

I’m genuinely interested: what does wine taste like to people who enjoy it? It just tastes like chemicals to me - like cleaning products.

What the hell are you drinking???

AuntieMarys · 08/09/2022 07:22

I like wine less as I age. I love a Malbec or Amarone in winter but white wine doesn't agree with me anymore. A great pity as I love a crisp dry one. Hate sweet wines.
Luckily I like gin

A580Hojas · 08/09/2022 07:24

madasawethen · 08/09/2022 04:39

I wonder if it is a genetic thing for some people? Different taste buds or something?
To me, it tastes very bitter, sour and smells like something gone off. The same with beer and lager. Beer kind of reminds me of vomit in the smell and texture of it. I can't stand any of it.
To those who love wine and beer, what does it taste like to you? I'm curious.

I think people just taste things differently and I've no idea why OP thinks she's being unreasonable to dislike a particular food or drink - I'd guess 99.9% of people have something that they just cannot stand/would never eat.

She just wanted some attention I suppose.

LadyCampanulaTottington · 08/09/2022 07:25

@madasawethen l thing you’re right about a genetic quirk or taste buds.

I go beyond just wine and hate all alcohol. It’s disgusting. Strong chemical paint stripper is the only way to describe it!

justfiveminutes · 08/09/2022 07:29

I feel the same about tea. It's such a big part of British culture and loved by nearly everyone, but I don't like it and don't even like the smell when others are drinking it. I think it's normal for some people to dislike what others seem to enjoy a lot isn't it.

LadyCatStark · 08/09/2022 07:32

I hate it too and even a small amount gives me a hangover. I drink Disaronno and Diet Coke or gin and lemonade if I’m in a drinking situation and am always fine the next day.

Banana7 · 08/09/2022 07:39

I suppose we all have different taste buds. I love deep reds and crisp dry whites. Not roses... I can't stand sweet alcoholic drinks or gin. I actually hate Baileys, it tastes revolting to me. Milk in alcohol has got to be the worst combination for me. After Covid, my taste and smell senses were off for a while so you could have been affected too? Count yourself lucky, think about the health benefits if you don't drink wine (assuming your dislike extends to other drinks?).

tapdancingmum · 08/09/2022 07:42

I find the wine culture utterly bizarre and people are shocked when I say I don't like wine. They always ask what I'm going to drink when I get home from work as they always have a couple of glasses of wine every night! Considering I finish work at 3.30 I generally have a cup of tea when I get in 😃. People just can't accept that I don't like/drink wine to the extent that they tell me I'm drinking the wrong one or buy me bottles as presents which I either give to the other members of staff or throw away but if I said I didn't drink coffee I don't think they would respond in the same way.

Wine doesn't agree with me - I get a really weird feeling in my shoulders when I have tried wine, it's like someone is pressing down on them and it hurts.

I don't drink at home as I can't really be bothered so will stick with tea, juice, squash or a can of coke in the evening. When we go to the pub I'll have a cider, larger, larger shandy, larger and lime or a soft drink depending on what mood I'm in.

Cervinia · 08/09/2022 07:45

I wish I didn’t like it, it’s made me fat and I like it just too much.

i love an ice cold NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Cote de Provence Rose, or a smooth red in winter. My wine taste has also changed over the years, I used to very much be a White Zinfandel drinker and would t touch it now, it’s like syrup.

for me, Cola is the drink if the devil. I don’t drink fizzy pop and I cannot believe how many people regularly ask for Coke as mixer, a soft drink, in bottles for the supermarket. Ugggh.

SleeplessInEngland · 08/09/2022 07:47

I don't drink much, but like coffee it's an acquired taste for most people. Almost no-one likes it straight away.

TenoringBehind · 08/09/2022 08:45

I feel I’ve this about beer. I couldn’t force myself to drink it.

love good wine far too much!

justaladyLOL · 08/09/2022 08:58

Dont drink it then what on earth is the problem

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

sorrynotathome · 08/09/2022 09:24

Sniffypete · 08/09/2022 07:17

What the hell are you drinking???

Cleaning products, evidently..

sorrynotathome · 08/09/2022 09:24

SleeplessInEngland · 08/09/2022 07:47

I don't drink much, but like coffee it's an acquired taste for most people. Almost no-one likes it straight away.

How on earth did you decide that??

threecupsofteaminimum · 08/09/2022 09:32

Be very glad you hate it. It's a slippery slope loving wine hic Wink

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.