My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To absolutely HATE wine with every fibre of my body?

136 replies

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 20:49

Just the smell makes me gag. I cannot swallow it without being physically sick.

My friends and colleagues all seem to be obsessed with wine. Some don’t believe/can’t seem to understand it when I say I despise all types of wine and ask me to try theirs in an attempt to change my mind…

Please tell me I am not alone!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

298 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
SemperIdem · 07/09/2022 21:03

I do like wine but feel the exact same way you do about beer/lager/ale, all of them.

People are similarly baffled and insist on trying to make me “try” it. I am nearly 34 years old, I’m quite sure of my likes and dislikes, it’s so irritating!

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 21:03

@OhMerde It tastes even worse to me! The chairman of my company owns multiple vineyards. I dread whenever he comes to the office as he always brings some of his wines which sell for hundreds of pounds a bottle.

He’s so proud of them!

I take the tiniest sips and try not to gag when talking to him before sneaking off to pour it down the kitchen sink when no one is looking 😂

OP posts:
DinkBoo · 07/09/2022 21:04

Me neither.

I love black coffee, and dark chocolate, and drink whisky straight up on the rare occasion I have a drink. I feel like I should love intense, dark, fruity reds. But they all just taste like alcohol. Like all alcoholic drinks.

Fairislefandango · 07/09/2022 21:04

I don't understand why it's a big deal. It's pretty common for people to hate some things that other people like. Hating it with every fibre of your being is a bit much, even if it makes you sick. Just... don't drink it!

PaperwhiteTheGhost · 07/09/2022 21:04

SemperIdem · 07/09/2022 21:03

I do like wine but feel the exact same way you do about beer/lager/ale, all of them.

People are similarly baffled and insist on trying to make me “try” it. I am nearly 34 years old, I’m quite sure of my likes and dislikes, it’s so irritating!

Yes!!! This!!! It's so annoying!

AceSpades54321 · 07/09/2022 21:04

Yay someone else who thinks it’s taste revolting! It all tastes the same to me, like vinegar 🤢 Everyond keeps saying you will like it when your older…but I’m almost 40 🤨

Nutrigrainygoodness · 07/09/2022 21:06

Im in the I hate wine fan club.

Ive never liked it, but like someone said up thread I am the type of person who drinks alcopops, fruity gin, things with lemonade or coke.

I feel the same about lager and beer to be honest. I think people just pretend to like them 😂

VinoDino · 07/09/2022 21:06

FriendOfDorothyGale · 07/09/2022 20:58

The white wine I like, usually sayvignon blanc, taste very crisp. It has a citrussy taste to it, kind of grapefruity.

I like very dry rose which I now add a slice of green chilli too after seeing it on tiktok and it is a revelation.

The red I enjoy tastes peppery and with a dark Berry and vanilla subtle taste to it.

Please tell me what red this is? Sounds lovely. Going to look up the green chilli revelation!

I - unfortunately - love (nice) wine. Much to the detriment of my wallet and my waist line. I have a true wine belly. It sometimes borders on a problem before I reign it back in. It's how I relax.

TokyoTen · 07/09/2022 21:07

You are not alone! I hate the stuff, especially the smell of red!

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 21:08

@Fairislefandango I guess it’s the wine drinking culture that annoys me a bit.

It is at every work function I go to, but I can’t join in fully.

My friends talk about how much they love and “need” wine to get by. They seem so shocked and disbelieving when I say I can’t stand the stuff.

OP posts:
Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 21:10

@Nutrigrainygoodness We have exactly the same type of sophisticated palates 🙃

OP posts:
Jins · 07/09/2022 21:10

I used to like wine but my tastes changed when pregnant and now it just tastes like mouldy vinegar. I was assured I’d grow out of it but DS1 is well over 20 now.

I also hate all beers and lagers, anything that tastes of aniseed, baileys and whisky. apple ciders give me heartburn but pear ones are ok.

Gin, vodka, dark rum and brandy all ok though

Fifthtimelucky · 07/09/2022 21:10

You're definitely not alone!

I don't like wine - or any alcohol for that matter. I also don't like fizzy drinks of any description.

StolenWillowTree · 07/09/2022 21:11

I don't hate it but I dislike it. I wouldn't drink it by choice.

BatteryPoweredMammy · 07/09/2022 21:12

I can't drink any alcohol as it gives me migraines.

I share your frustration about booze at work events.

When I became an HoD, I used to ensure that our working lunches contained a decent selection of non alcoholic drinks and nice food and still come under budget. This was about 20 years ago when every other dept. spent ridiculous sums on booze and provided cheap bottled water or orange juice concentrate as the only non alcoholic options. Tossers! 😤

Soproudoflionesses · 07/09/2022 21:19

I can drink a glass of rose but that would be all.
In fact l think l like the idea of having a drink more than actually having a drink and am always happy to not bother these days.

Ncvisitor · 07/09/2022 21:23

Some people think ‘loving wine’ is a personality trait - same with coffee

enjoyingscience · 07/09/2022 21:23

Same! I love wine, but lager/beer/ale all just taste disgusting.

I occasionally have a shandy to see if I’ve changed my mind, but no. Still rank. I wonder if it’s a genetic thing, because if it tastes like that for everyone they would never sell any.

WoodlandMummy · 07/09/2022 21:25

I love love LOVE good red wine. I’m a total wine snob though and agree that (some) wine tastes awful. I like specific (expensive) notes - leather, oak, tobacco, chocolate, cassis. Big, bold, full bodied, punch you in the face reds are my heaven. I loathe insipid wine that just tastes of…red wine…with no depth or character. life is too short for crappy wine.

If you ever get the chance to try a v good red, go for it. There is a world of difference between a glass of Jam Shed and a glass of Château Haut-Brion.

SocksAndTheCity · 07/09/2022 21:26

I don't like wine at all, and I used to work in a wine shop which included being dragged along to wine tastings and helping choose which ones to order, even though I'd told the owners I never drank it 😳

I like Irn Bru 😊

sorrynotathome · 07/09/2022 21:29

You do sound a bit obsessed to be honest. Who cares whether you like wine or not? I don’t believe people get that bothered when you say you don’t like it. I don’t like rice pudding but I don’t go on about it.

BringOnAutumn · 07/09/2022 21:31

LiftyLift · 07/09/2022 20:53

I hated wine as a teenager, then developed a taste for it via a sweet rose, then moved to whites, then on to reds. It’s a gradual process. If you try to start on a big red you’ll probably not like it.

But why would you want to go through this process? Genuine question.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ValerieDoonican · 07/09/2022 21:33

Funny you say it tastes chemically to you OP. I like wine, but many perfumes smell like that - chemically - to me. My daughter's perfume smells like loo cleaner to my nose!

NutellaEllaElla · 07/09/2022 21:34

Same! Don't understand the hype at all (or any alcohol basically). I don't like tea or coffee either and people clearly think I'm a weird fish in this respect. Sharing a drink with someone whether it's tea or wine is a massive social bonding experience so I have to try to make it work somehow.

Sisisisi · 07/09/2022 21:34

Omgwhatisthat · 07/09/2022 21:03

@OhMerde It tastes even worse to me! The chairman of my company owns multiple vineyards. I dread whenever he comes to the office as he always brings some of his wines which sell for hundreds of pounds a bottle.

He’s so proud of them!

I take the tiniest sips and try not to gag when talking to him before sneaking off to pour it down the kitchen sink when no one is looking 😂

Just say you dont drink.
Bit of a drama over nothing Confused

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.