Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My partner forgot my birthday

64 replies

heforgot · 29/08/2022 11:57

I've nc'd for this as I'm so embarrassed. My partner has forgotten my 25th birthday today. I confronted him about an hour ago and said have you forgotten and he was very apologetic and sorry. Said he's never missed a birthday before with previous partners (he's older than me and has had lots of girlfriends) and that's what hurts the most I think- the fact that it's just me he's ever forgot. He says it's no reflection of how he feels for me, that he loves me etc. We're shy of one year together so last year he gave me birthday gifts early September as we hadn't physically met by my birthday. I didn't even want gifts per se, just a thoughtful card and a 'happy birthday'. We live together, I reminded him last week but he's still forgot. I don't know what to make of it. AIBU to be upset?

OP posts:
Please
or

Sunnyqueen · 29/08/2022 12:02

Yanbu but if you reminded him last week then he hasn't actually forgot has he. He's decided he couldn't be bothered and seen if he can get away with it. Telling you he's never forgot exs is just cruel.

Please
or

zingally · 29/08/2022 12:04

You've been together less than a year... If he's not now practically crawling on his knees for forgiveness, and putting together something really great for you now... Then I'd LTB.

Please
or

AryaStarkWolf · 29/08/2022 12:05

Yeah, if you reminded him a week ago then I'd be annoyed about it too

Please
or

Dotcheck · 29/08/2022 12:05

Yanbu but if you reminded him last week then he hasn't actually forgot has he. He's decided he couldn't be bothered and seen if he can get away with it. Telling you he's never forgot exs is just cruel.

All of that.

You haven’t even been together a full year, you’re already living together, he’s older than you, and had lots of girlfriends.
And he couldn’t be bothered to do something for your birthday? Which falls on a bank holiday weekend.

Hmm

Please
or

Cakecakecheese · 29/08/2022 12:07

At least he's apologetic but not sure why he felt the need to tell you he always remembered his ex partners birthdays, that's hardly going to make you feel better is it?

Please
or

Greengreengrassofhome01 · 29/08/2022 12:09

What is he going to do about it now you have reminded him?

Please
or

Whatsthestoryboringglory · 29/08/2022 12:12

All of this. Especially the part where he makes a point of saying he never forgot an ex girlfriend’s birthdays. He’s setting you up to have low expectations of him, and to see what you will put up with.

Please
or

WhenISnappedAndFarted · 29/08/2022 12:12

You haven't been together a year yet, you already live together, he forgot your birthday despite you reminding him, he's had lots of girlfriends.

Make sure you're protecting yourself OP, it doesn't sound great.

Please
or

neverbeenskiing · 29/08/2022 12:13

He didn't forget though, did he? You told him a week ago so he knew and he chose not to plan anything, or get you a gift or even a card. If he is already taking you for granted after less than a year together that's a very bad sign in my opinion. The comment about never forgetting ex's birthday's is bordering on cruel.

Please
or

Shoxfordian · 29/08/2022 12:21

He sounds like a knob
Don’t stay with him when he acts like this

Please
or

girlmom21 · 29/08/2022 12:23

Have you had cards or gifts from anyone else?

He's a knob. Has he rushed around to fix this?

Please
or

SlouchingTowardsBethlehemAgain · 29/08/2022 12:23

He did not forget because you reminded him. He is a nasty cunt trying to devalue you, highlighted by the negging about never forgetting any other woman's birthday. When people show you who they are believe them the first time, it saves a lot of pain. This should be the honey-moon stage OP, imagine how he will be treating you in five years (if you stay).

Please
or

RealBecca · 29/08/2022 12:25

If he "cant remember" your birthday how will he remember to pay bill's, pick up children, food shop responsibly, organise any basic things? Dont commit to a life of pushing someone else uphill.

Please
or

Greengreengrassofhome01 · 29/08/2022 12:28

Is he mortified and going to make it up to you today by taking you somewhere nice? Do you have the day off together?

Please
or

Pe0pleMakeRacers · 29/08/2022 12:29

If you have been together less than 1 year, this is supposed to be the honeymoon period, whereby people make an effort to please their SO.
If you are lucky, you will find someone who will treat you well for every birthday.

This seems that he is "not that into you"

Why are you living together, so soon, apart from the reduced cost of living ?

Has he made any plans to take you out later today ?

Please
or

CloseYourEyesAndSee · 29/08/2022 12:30

This is beyond shit

Please
or

Bestcatmum · 29/08/2022 12:31

I would dump him just for saying he never forgot his exes birthdays.

Please
or

LuaDipa · 29/08/2022 12:40

This.

He’s deliberately negging you and trying to damage your self-esteem. You deserve better than this horrid man. Get rid.

Please
or

UnshakenNeedsStirring · 29/08/2022 12:44

He is already showing you what he thinks of you. Actions speak louder than words. Please think if this is who you want to be with for the rest of your life.

Please
or

UnshakenNeedsStirring · 29/08/2022 12:45

Bestcatmum · 29/08/2022 12:31

I would dump him just for saying he never forgot his exes birthdays.

Absolutely. Like rubbing salt on a wound. I wonder if he said that deliberately. Maybe he is insecure, maybe OP could do better than him and he just wants to beat OP's spirit. Dont know, I am just speculating on why he shared that bit of information with OP.

Please
or

Aprilx · 29/08/2022 12:52

I can’t even imagine how it would be possible for DH to forget my birthday because for one thing, I would be mentioning it myself. I wouldn’t keep quiet for the months, weeks, days in the run up, I am quite happy to come up with my own suggestions for my birthday, I don’t need DH to do it all and “surprise” me.

And it doesn’t sound like you have been silent regarding your birthday either, so I don’t think it is technically correct to say he “forgot” about your birthday, it seems like it is more accurate to say he didn’t bother. We don’t make too much of a fuss these days, although we generally do mark the day. But that is after many years and more or less a mutual agreement, I wouldn’t be happy in your situation.

Please
or

ChrisTrepidation · 29/08/2022 12:56

He told you he's never forgotten an ex girlfriends birthday?

Raise your bar op. He's a twat.

Please
or

Meraas · 29/08/2022 12:57

heforgot · 29/08/2022 11:57

I've nc'd for this as I'm so embarrassed. My partner has forgotten my 25th birthday today. I confronted him about an hour ago and said have you forgotten and he was very apologetic and sorry. Said he's never missed a birthday before with previous partners (he's older than me and has had lots of girlfriends) and that's what hurts the most I think- the fact that it's just me he's ever forgot. He says it's no reflection of how he feels for me, that he loves me etc. We're shy of one year together so last year he gave me birthday gifts early September as we hadn't physically met by my birthday. I didn't even want gifts per se, just a thoughtful card and a 'happy birthday'. We live together, I reminded him last week but he's still forgot. I don't know what to make of it. AIBU to be upset?

If you reminded him last week then he hasn’t forgotten, he’s made a deliberate choice not to get you so much as a card.

Fuck him off and don’t him birthday or Christmas presents from now on.

Please
or

onanotherday · 29/08/2022 13:01

Halpy birthday OP💐

Is there any chance he has a surprised planned?

If not I would consider any commitment going forward.

Please
or

onanotherday · 29/08/2022 13:01

Happy!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?