Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Working out in back garden - neighbours complaining.

296 replies

LuciferKitty · 12/08/2022 12:33

I had a baby a few months ago and trying to shift the baby weight which I have gained.

The last few mornings around 10:30am I have been going into our back garden to do a workout on apple fitness+. I have been wearing my headphones as quite frankly my neighbours don't need to hear the cheesy "come on, push it harder" motivation chat from the fitness instructor.

This morning after my workout (I do HIIT - 20 minutes), the neighbour next door came to the door and asked if I could work out inside as they are trying to relax in their back garden in peace and watch their fish. I was a bit taken aback. My DH heard this and came to the door and politely said that I'm not making lots of noise, it's day light and we are entitled to work out in our garden. He pointed out what will they think when our daughter is older and playing in the garden? The neighbour responded "that's different" Hmm and apparently my panting noises are a bit "erotic sounding". At this point we said to the neighbour that again, I'm not making excessive noise and that I'm simply working out. His response? "Well join a gym then"

I'm actually really annoyed. We have CCTV outside the property so I checked to hear how loud I am when working out and honestly hardly any noise, mostly just heavy breathing which the camera struggled to pick up. It's not like I'm making noises like Monica from friends when she gets her massage.

I also have a gym in the garage so why would I join a gym? We live in a detached house so no risk of noise to adjoining walls etc. there's not that much floor space to do the workouts inside the garage. Before baby I didn't do the HIIT.

The reason for me working out in the back garden is my DH is working from home and my baby is napping so I don't want to be creating noise inside to wake up baby or disturb DH working. If baby wakes up the monitor pings a notification to my phone so I will know if she is awake and will stop workout to tend to baby.

Neighbour only moved in about 6 months ago and never had any issues since.

Who is BU? Me or the neighbour?

OP posts:
Please
or

Weepingwillows12 · 12/08/2022 12:35

You are definitely not being unreasonable. I want to say keep doing it but I know if it was me I would feel massively self conscious working out again so it's pissed me off on your behalf.

Please
or

Butitsnotfunnyisititsserious · 12/08/2022 12:36

It's your garden, you aren't being unreasonable to work out in it at all. They can't hear what you're listening too. If it bothers them so much, they can wander inside for the time you're doing it.

Please
or

Honeyroar · 12/08/2022 12:36

It doesn’t sound unreasonable at all! Perhaps next time play your cheesy music as well! We want to watch our fish!! 🤣

Please
or

HangOnToYourself · 12/08/2022 12:36

Ignore them they are batshit. Tell them to listen to music if they dont like the noises you make. On a side note I am amazed you can work out in this heat, I can barely cope with walking around inside!

Please
or

RagzRebooted · 12/08/2022 12:36

Either you're barely making any noise or you're making enough noise to have to work out outside because it would wake baby/disturb DH.

Either way though, they ABU - it is your garden and 20 minutes puffing and panting is not unreasonable at that time of day. It was considerate of you to wear headphones.

Please
or

Omgwhatthehell · 12/08/2022 12:37

Your neighbours are being ridiculous. They are essentially complaining about you breathing in your garden for 20 minutes.

Please
or

10HailMarys · 12/08/2022 12:38

Your neighbour is bonkers. You are perfectly entitled to exercise in your own garden for as long as you like.

Please
or

OriginalUsername2 · 12/08/2022 12:39

Your neighbours are rude and unreasonable. It’s day time!

I’m sitting here listening to my neighbour revving his engines for fun 🙄

Please
or

LuciferKitty · 12/08/2022 12:39

HangOnToYourself · 12/08/2022 12:36

Ignore them they are batshit. Tell them to listen to music if they dont like the noises you make. On a side note I am amazed you can work out in this heat, I can barely cope with walking around inside!

I'm right in the north of Scotland so it's a nice 17 just now 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

greenacrylicpaint · 12/08/2022 12:39

yanbu
continue to use your garden.

maybe consider playing music whilst you do it as well.

Please
or

CaptainMyCaptain · 12/08/2022 12:40

YADNBU.

Please
or

FlorettaB · 12/08/2022 12:41

It’s too hot for me to get on my soapbox about men feeling entitled to police women’s bodies and behaviour and the reason why so few women (as a %) feel comfortable exercising in public.

20 minutes at 10:30am in your own garden. Fuck him.

Please
or

OriginalUsername2 · 12/08/2022 12:41

Tell them to take their fish inside because you’re trying to exercise. Probably just as ridiculous.

Please
or

10HailMarys · 12/08/2022 12:41

apparently my panting noises are a bit "erotic sounding"

He's a grubby little pervert. HTH.

His response? "Well join a gym then"

So when he says he wants to watch fish, say 'Well go and visit an aquarium, then'.

Please
or

LuciferKitty · 12/08/2022 12:42

DH says next time leave your headphones in the house.... tempted lol!

Next time baby is unsettled and crying, I'll be sure to bring her outside to calm down Wink

The mind boggles on how others think at times!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ilikewinter · 12/08/2022 12:42

Well if they dont want to hear your puffing away then id turn the volume up and they can listen to the work out person ..... that will drown you out !!!!

Please
or

pigeonofpeace · 12/08/2022 12:42

Well if ever there was motivation to ramp up the duration of workouts, this it.

They are being ridiculous.

Please
or

BeanieTeen · 12/08/2022 12:43

Your neighbours are crazy.

At this point we said to the neighbour that again, I'm not making excessive noise and that I'm simply working out. His response? "Well join a gym then"

Well equally they can go to the nearest spa or aquarium if they want to sit and relax while watching fish.

Please
or

Treabrea · 12/08/2022 12:43

I'd put some banging club tunes on and up the grunting. Maybe get your DH to join in.

Please
or

ingratitude · 12/08/2022 12:45

How bizarre. If they find your heavy breathing some kind of pseudo eroticism that says rather more about them than you. Mind you anyone who wants to 'watch their fish' as a pastime sounds a bit peculiar anyhow

I'd crack on and ham up the grunting for extra dramatic effect. Maybe rope the husband in too. Thanks

Please
or

ingratitude · 12/08/2022 12:46

No idea why my post says thanks at the end Blush

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/08/2022 12:46

They are BU especially if you're only out there for 20 mins! Crack on.

Please
or

ScurryfungeMaster · 12/08/2022 12:48

They sound bonkers! So basically they are annoyed that you're breathing in your own garden 🤣 yanbu don't let them bully you out of doing something positive for yourself in your own garden.

Please
or

ScampiFlies · 12/08/2022 12:49

What a strange request. Keep doing your thing, I'm sure environmental health or whoever these people complain to will have a good laugh at his expense.

Please
or

LuciferKitty · 12/08/2022 12:50

Thanks all for letting me know I'm not BU.

Feel like doing some yoga outside - never tried it before so will expect some grunting Wink

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?