Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Classical music preferences

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 09:24

My ex husband could only listen to Bach or some kind of baroque.

I used to be of his view but listening to Piano Concerto No.5 in Eb major Opus 73 (2/3)
Ludwig van Beethoven on the radio how could anyone not get the subtle tones the beauty? I don't like rachmaninov but I think I am being converted.
Am I being unreasonable?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

MasterBeth · 05/08/2022 09:29

Like what you want.

Please
or

Schools2023 · 05/08/2022 09:33

I'm guessing that's the reason you Dvorak-ed him?

Please
or

FictionalCharacter · 05/08/2022 09:34

Ooh Rachmaninov! Have a listen to Piano Concertos no 2 and 3 if you haven't already.

Please
or

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats · 05/08/2022 09:35

You can have whatever classical (or indeed non-classical) musical preferences you wish.

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 09:46

Music was nothing to do with why I divorced him.

But I did hear a sublime live performance of Bach sheep may safely graze with him so I suppose that might have been a factor.

Happy to have my eyes opened. Still dont think I will ever like rachmaninov its too flouncy!

If you think this topic is too silly for AIBU don't post.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FatOaf · 05/08/2022 09:47

but listening to Piano Concerto No.5 in Eb major Opus 73 (2/3) Ludwig van Beethoven

As opposed to all the other 5th piano concertos by all the other Beethovens, you mean?

As a lover of classical music myself, I'm embarrassed by this level of pretentiousness about it. Or would be if it weren't obvious the thread is yet another Mumsnet wind-up.

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 09:49

FatOaf · Today 09:47

OK lets just shut this thread down right now. Thanks for your thoughts.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Swedesareneeps · 05/08/2022 09:50

Can't listen to sheep may safely graze since a rendition by a precocious primary school chorister that made the "happiness" translate into "ha! Penis".

But I'm basic.

Please
or

10HailMarys · 05/08/2022 09:50

Biscuit
Please
or

Malbecfan · 05/08/2022 09:51

I wasn't really a Bach fan when I was younger, but as I age, I like it more and more. Have you heard any Vikingur Ólafson recordings of Bach? I think they are sublime!

Listen to what you like. Radio 3 is my choice when driving to work and at least once a week I hear something unexpectedly lovely that I didn't know before.

Please
or

warmeduppizza · 05/08/2022 09:51

Anything from Beethoven onwards is a bit too modern for me, but people look at me like I have three heads when I say that.

Please
or

Roasteros · 05/08/2022 10:01

FatOaf · 05/08/2022 09:47

but listening to Piano Concerto No.5 in Eb major Opus 73 (2/3) Ludwig van Beethoven

As opposed to all the other 5th piano concertos by all the other Beethovens, you mean?

As a lover of classical music myself, I'm embarrassed by this level of pretentiousness about it. Or would be if it weren't obvious the thread is yet another Mumsnet wind-up.

I'm a musician and love many different periods of music, from Medieval to Serialism, and your opening comment @FatOaf, may explain why many people assume that fans of classical music are knobs.

Please
or

Roasteros · 05/08/2022 10:01

There are many other 5th piano concerti, by other composers...

Please
or

FatOaf · 05/08/2022 10:36

Fans of classical music who insist on saying "Piano Concerto No.5 in Eb major Opus 73 (2/3) Ludwig van Beethoven" in casual conversation, rather than "Beethoven's 5th piano concerto", do, indeed, give the impression of being nobs.

I love that concerto, and would encourage people to listen to it. I wouldn't try to deter people by adding irrelevant layers of key signatures and opus numbers.

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 10:40

I literally just cut and pasted it from the website I was listening to it on. I was genuinely enjoying it. Some of the comments on here are so negative. Sorry if my quoting to you was not exacting enough.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HesterShaw1 · 05/08/2022 10:40

You could have just called it Beethoven's fifth piano concerto or the Emperor Concerto and you'd have looked a bit less pretentious. Only a bit mind.

Unless that was the intention it was

Please
or

HesterShaw1 · 05/08/2022 10:43

I like some barque because it sounds "old and European", some Classical because of its structure and modulations, and some Romantic because of the emotion.

But tastes change and I generally listen to whatever sounds nice, and turn off the stuff I don't like. Just like any music really.

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 10:47

I liked (like) Bach because it really feels very "mathamatical" to me. But I can appreciate other things.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SareWall · 05/08/2022 10:47

I like Baroque violin music (Vivaldi four seasons, Bach double in D minor) but love piano music from late classical - early romantic. Do you listen to any of Chopins nocturnes?

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 10:48

I'm by no means a professional musician but I can still appreciate it. I am not going to apologise for it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 10:49

I really love Chopin but that was mainly in my university days. Maybe I have come full circle.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DotBall · 05/08/2022 10:52

I love music of the early-mid 20th C europeans which traverses a wide range of styles, but can be characterised by their experimentation with structure, rhythm, harmony, tonalities and textures in particular.
I really love pieces that have harmonies based around 4ths rather than 3rds.

Please
or

millymog11 · 05/08/2022 10:58

"I really love pieces that have harmonies based around 4ths rather than 3rds."
Sorry to be dense but what does this mean? I'd really like to research it and see what it means. Thank you I know you are more of an expert than I am. Thanks in anticipation.

OP's posts:
Please
or

StrychnineInTheSandwiches · 05/08/2022 10:59

For some reason classical piano music like Chopin makes me feel so glum. Although I love contemporary piano music.

I love listening to Handel, adore that liveliness and oomph*

*not a scholar of classical music.

Please
or

HesterShaw1 · 05/08/2022 11:00

Ooomph is a great way of describing Handel! A bit of va va boom

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.