Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Have I limited DD's future with an unusual name?

whatsinaname5 · 08/05/2022 22:58

DD9 is called Raya. Her elder brothers both have traditional, biblical names and that was the plan for her, but DF died just before she was born and she ended up with a "tribute" name, which I also thought was lovely. Hormones.

She likes her name and no issues at school apart from the millions of other names ending with "aya" and "iya", but I have had a sense of dread that she'll be denied job opportunities or friendships because she's being as a chav - or at least someone of a lower class. What if everyone hiring is a Millie or a Hugo and they see Raya on her CV.

Of course there's not much we can do now apart from steer her to use her traditional middle name??

YABU - she's fine! No problem!
YANBU - uh oh ....

OP's posts:
Please
or

Strawberries86 · 08/05/2022 22:59

I think it’s a genuinely beautiful name.

Please
or

BetsyBigNose · 08/05/2022 22:59

You've not enabled voting, but imho YANBU, it's a lovely name, she'll be fine!

Please
or

LittlePennow · 08/05/2022 22:59

She's fine, no problem :-). I think it's a lovely name actually.

Please
or

mummysnetadmin · 08/05/2022 23:00

as a team leader in tescos we have a couple of rayas here, one on checkout and another in chilled. they got hired etc etc

Please
or

Sidisawetlettuce · 08/05/2022 23:00

I don't think Raya sounds 'chavvy' at all!

Please
or

beetuljoos · 08/05/2022 23:02

It's a normal enough sounding name, but I also know plenty of successful people with much more unusual names. My optician last week was Porsche and she seemed to be getting along just fine in life.

Please
or

GunsNShips · 08/05/2022 23:02

YABU - nothing wrong with the name Raya

Please
or

Ccharlotte · 08/05/2022 23:02

YABU it's fine

Please
or

PeekAtYou · 08/05/2022 23:02

Raya is lovely. It would only raise eyebrows if you'd gone for weird spelling like Rayaaa but Raya is perfect

Please
or

SoFriendless · 08/05/2022 23:03

Raya is a beautiful name! I don’t think it gives off “chav” vibes at all

Please
or

Spaghag · 08/05/2022 23:04

Raya is a lovely name. I wouldn't worry.

Not at all "chavvy" sounding to me.

Please
or

DorothyZbornakIsAQueen · 08/05/2022 23:04

Quite a few Raya's in dd's High school. Not as unusual as you think it is, so don't worry.

Please
or

OnceAgainWithFeeling · 08/05/2022 23:04

Absolutely not. Having encountered someone in a very professional role by the name of Starbreeze your daughter will have no issues at all.

Please
or

Farawayfromhere · 08/05/2022 23:04

I think it’s lovely

Please
or

YouCantTourniquetTheTaint · 08/05/2022 23:04

It's a beautiful name, I don't think she'll have any issues with her future. I also think you're thinking wayyyy to much into this.

Stop worrying about other people's opinions, they don't matter.

Please
or

HotPenguin · 08/05/2022 23:06

You're being ridiculous, nothing wrong with Raya. I was expecting something really bizarre.

Please
or

ABIIOR · 08/05/2022 23:06

There are so many much more unusual/ ridiculous sounding names around these days that Raya seems very restrained and "normal" in comparison. I don't think you need worry.

Please
or

Clymene · 08/05/2022 23:06

It's a pretty name.

Please
or

InChocolateWeTrust · 08/05/2022 23:06

While its unusual I don't think it would be judged.

People tend to judge names where they are after alcoholic beverages (chardonnay etc), are spelled in a way considered (in the local culture) to be obviously incorrect (Jazzmyn etc), are named after fashion brands (Armani etc). Double barrel first names can get judged a bit too - stuff with - Mai/Mae added

With a name like Raya I might predict a child had parents from another country because it's not that usual in the UK, but would think it an otherwise normal name.

Please
or

Jalepenojello · 08/05/2022 23:07

It’s fine. She is a Raya amongst a sea of other non-traditional names for her generation. It won’t stand out and I think it’s really lovely too

Please
or

InChocolateWeTrust · 08/05/2022 23:08

My optician last week was Porsche and she seemed to be getting along just fine in life.

Was it definitely Porsche? You didn't maybe mishear Portia?

Please
or

Kanaloa · 08/05/2022 23:08

It’s literally just a name. If she has good qualifications and experience then she’ll get a job. If her name is perceived as so ‘chavvy’ that she can’t possibly get any work no matter what she does then I’m sure she can change it.

I hate all this silliness on mumsnet about names apparently being ‘chavvy’ and how they’ll hold the person back from getting a job etc. And it’s always just plain normal names.

Please
or

Thedogscollar · 08/05/2022 23:08

Raya is a lovely name so YANBU for that but YABU for using the term chav ( council house and violent) hate this term as it's so condescending to people who actually live in council houses.

Please
or

TinaYouFatLard · 08/05/2022 23:09

Raya is a beautiful name.

You mention that it was a tribute name (assuming for Ray) and perhaps this is skewing your opinion towards naff/chav - is there an element of cringiness in your feelings?

Please
or

ThatPosterIsSoRight · 08/05/2022 23:09

It’s a beautiful name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.