Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU - using the name Madeline

Argealanlea · 26/01/2022 10:59

First pregnancy and DH and I so far can only decide on one name for a girl - Madeline. We love it and it goes really well with our surname.

Issues are:
Madeline McCann. Is it too associated with her to use? We actually live in Ireland not U.K. so there is maybe less of an association but could still be there? For me already saying the name in my head with our surname lessens the connection so maybe it’ll be the same for all our family and friends?

Second issue - Madeline the books/movies which feature a red head Madeline. We actually have a 50% chance of having a red head. Would this be bad then to use the name and risk teasing or am I overthinking it and kids don’t read those books anymore anyway and the movie is old!

Cant decide if we’re being unreasonable to consider it - we both really like it! Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

mikeyboo · 26/01/2022 11:04

Madeleine McCann was Madeleine rather than Madeline, but people are likely to make the connection regardless.

Please
or

TheDangerOfIgnorance · 26/01/2022 11:05

Go with your gut, Madeline is a lovely name, the McCann association will be a much less obvious connection with the passing of time. Ben is still a popular boys name despite the Ben Needham connection

Please
or

RunningFromInsanity · 26/01/2022 11:06

It’s a perfectly fine name to use.
All names could be associated with something bad at a push but people simply don’t put that much thought into others names. They will just accept ‘Madeline’.

I’ve never heard of the second Madeline either

Please
or

Redlorryyellowduck · 26/01/2022 11:06

I loved the name Madeline but was too superstitious to use it incase anything happened to dd. Bonkers I know.

Please
or

Tullig · 26/01/2022 11:07

Madeline sounds entirely different to Madeleine, though.

Please
or

Goldfishmountainclimber · 26/01/2022 11:08

Honestly, I think of Madeleine McCann. Maybe because there was so much news coverage, I actually have a feeling of horror and sadness associated with the name. It represents the worst tragedy that could happen to a family.

Please
or

CanofCant · 26/01/2022 11:08

Massively overthinking IMO, I know quite a few Maddies and Madelines young and old, and don't make the McCann connection plus as PP mentioned her name was spelled differently. Also I don't think the Madeline story character will be cause for mockery.

It's a lovely name, if it's what you want to use then go for it.

Please
or

MeredithGreyishblue · 26/01/2022 11:08

MadeLINE or Madeleine ?

Please
or

RhodaDendron · 26/01/2022 11:09

My kids are little are we know lots of Madeleines/Maddys. Especially in the four/five year age bracket! I think it’s a lovely name and fine now.

Please
or

mumofmunchkin · 26/01/2022 11:10

I don't think people will associate a newborn baby called Madeline with the McCanns tbh - I wouldn't, I'd just think you'd called your daughter a really pretty name.

Please
or

PattyPan · 26/01/2022 11:12

They might make the Madeline book connection but I don’t think either are real issues to put you off the name. I’d go for it!

@RunningFromInsanity In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines?

Please
or

LaBellina · 26/01/2022 11:13

I wouldn’t think twice about using it, Madeleine is a beautiful classic French name. Go for it if you like it !

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 26/01/2022 11:14

You are really overthinking this.

Please
or

Electricbug321 · 26/01/2022 11:14

Overthinking, I know two young Madeleines and never even thought about the McCann connection until this post

Please
or

Toanewstart22 · 26/01/2022 11:15

There will be a name out there that you love and that doesn’t make you start a thread on mumsnet about whether unreasonable to select

Just enjoy the process and keep looking

Please
or

Pleaseuniverseplease · 26/01/2022 11:16

I'd use it. Beautiful name.
Lots of tragic things happen in the world but we can't stop using names of those involved in tragedy.
You could choose a name and then a week later hear of a tragedy involving someone of that name.

Please
or

Adatwistscientist · 26/01/2022 11:18

No don't do it. Use Madeleine instead.

Please
or

Soubriquet · 26/01/2022 11:19

I would use it. It will probably be shortened to Maddy and no one has a problem with that

Please
or

Argealanlea · 26/01/2022 11:20

Hmm not off to a good start if I’m speeding it wrong myself. The pronunciation we like is Mad - a - lynn

So maybe that’s not Madeline it’s Madeleine

OP's posts:
Please
or

Classica · 26/01/2022 11:20

You're waaay overthinking it. The Madeleine McCann case doesn't mean that name is somehow tainted with sorrow forever more. And as for the redhead Madeline character thing, most kids would probably be thrilled if they could point and say 'she's like me!'.

Please
or

gogohm · 26/01/2022 11:20

Unless your surname is McCann it's fine

Please
or

MeredithGreyishblue · 26/01/2022 11:22

@Argealanlea

Hmm not off to a good start if I’m speeding it wrong myself. The pronunciation we like is Mad - a - lynn

So maybe that’s not Madeline it’s Madeleine

Yes. Spell it Madeleine to hear it like McCann

I wouldn't immediately think of that now. Certainly not recoiling in horror like a PP!

It's a nice name
Please
or

Theworldisquiethere · 26/01/2022 11:23

Would you be pronouncing it -linn or -line?
Madeleine McCann and Madeline from the books are spelt and pronounced differently so you’d change the possible association depending on which version you go for, but I don’t think the association matters that much.
It’s a lovely name either way.

Please
or

Theworldisquiethere · 26/01/2022 11:23

Sorry missed your response!

Please
or

PragmaticWench · 26/01/2022 11:24

Madeleine is Mad-e-lane

Madeline is pronounced Mad-e-lynn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.