To take 16mo to A&E? In need of a hand hold …
SingSweetNightingale · 21/01/2022 21:48
I’m all over the place so forgive me for the the rush of information.
My 16mo has been ill since September, ever since beginning nursery. Virus after virus which I know is normal due to picking up lots of bugs from other children. She always has swollen glands which I’ve brought to the GPs attention each visit and have always been told they’re normal, not too big etc.
Last time DD was ill was beginning of December. Usual swollen glands and I was told to bring her back after Christmas if they don’t go down. She was given antibiotics for the first time at this appointment.
Fast forward to today and I realise the gland on the left side of her neck is visibly protruding. I’m an anxious person so I immediately called the doctor who asked me to go down this afternoon.
I honestly thought I would be told that yet again it was all normal but no… the GP seemed very concerned as the gland is about 1cm over what is regarded ‘normal’. DD is very small for her age so it appears huge to even look at.
Other than the gland, DD has very few other symptoms other than appearing tired and pale some of the time.
I was told by the GP that she needed an urgent referral and leukaemia and lymphoma can present in this way. Cue me having an absolute emotional breakdown in the doctors surgery.
I asked if anything can be done sooner than 2 weeks but apparently not unless she begins to show more symptoms.
AIBU to take her to A&E? I want a paediatrician to look at her NOW and tell me if anything is concerning. I don’t want to wait 2 weeks in absolute turmoil over the possibility something could be seriously wrong.
Any insights would be amazing or similar experiences. I’m an absolute wreck
Am I being unreasonable?AIBU
You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.
XelaM · 21/01/2022 21:52
Omg absolutely take her now! Hand hold. It's unlikely to be anything as horrible as that, but don't drive yourself i sane waiting 2 weeks
XelaM · 21/01/2022 21:52
caz198917 · 21/01/2022 21:53
Personally I would go. I suffer horrendous health anxiety and would be stressing just as you are, best of luck to you. Xx
Santahasjoinedww · 21/01/2022 21:53
A & E in a Friday night prob isn't what your dd needs.. Ring 111 for an appointment first thing tomorrow..
My ds once had huge glands post newborn virus (waters broke and he caught an infection). It resulted in another virus. His gland on one side was like a tumour! Then he recovered and hasn't even had a cold since.. He is 13.
Try not to worry too much.
Itsalmostanaccessory · 21/01/2022 21:54
I'm sorry you're going through something so stressful and horrible. It's the worst feeling in the world, the watching and waiting.
Unfortunately, A&E isnt for this. You've seen the GP and you have a referral. A&E cannot speed that up for you. You would be referred back to your GP.
If anything else presents then that changes things but right now, you need to wait or go private if at all possible.
I'm so sorry. Nothing anyone says is going to make this feel better and you've got a horrible wait ahead but she will be seen and you'll get through it.
GoBrookeYourself · 21/01/2022 21:54
That’s so scary, I’m sorry. If I were you I’d have done the same thing, I don’t know how a GP can tell you something like lymphoma or leukaemia is a possibility and expect you to wait 2 weeks.
No advice but I hope they can give you the answers you need and that it’s good news.
Cheekypeach · 21/01/2022 21:55
Oh OP, I can only imagine your distress at the moment
I can empathise with the endless nursery illnesses, as we’ve just gone through it, and it’s a shit time - makes you feel so anxious about your child’s health, it’s totally exhausting.
Did the GP not do a blood test? Could you book her a private blood test? I once did this for a relative when they were struggling to get a GP appointment.
Regarding the gland, I imagine if she’s been poorly a lot that she’s lost some weight, could this be making it more visible? I also found this online which says enlarged lymph nodes in children is quite common:
I feel for you & hope you have answers soon.
musicalfrog · 21/01/2022 21:57
I feel for you. Can you get on the phone every day asking about cancellations? I don't think I'd be able to wait two weeks.
gobbledygoook · 21/01/2022 21:57
"AIBU to take her to A&E? I want a paediatrician to look at her NOW and tell me if anything is concerning"
This won't happen in A&E on a Friday night past 10pm. Unless your DD has gone downhill / new symptoms etc taking her to A&E at this time isn't really a good idea.
Genuinely OP, it's a terrifying situation. The two week referral is a speedy referral they've already made, I know it's a traumatic time and can feel like an eternity, but the medical staff at the appointment in two weeks will know what they're looking for / how to investigate / have information for you. I've been there (not with a DC though) and it's a mental struggle to make it through this referral process. Sending strength your way
Viviennemary · 21/01/2022 21:59
No A & E wouldn't be able to speed things up I don't think. Could you afford a private consultation. But even that would probably take e week. It must be beyond worrying for you.
MerryPoppings · 21/01/2022 22:00
It's awful waiting for health tests. I've been through similar multiple times both for myself and my DC and have health anxiety so totally understand what you're going through.
But this is not appropriate for A&E. It's not an accident or emergency. She's already on an urgent referral pathway. Your only other option is to see if you can get a private appointment more quickly.
However, to reassure you, my DD has exactly the same thing. Massively gland on her jawline and I could see that the GP was worried. I have private health insurance so managed to get her seen within a week, had an ultrasound and they said it's just a swollen gland. 6 years later, she's now 10yo and still has that massive gland on her jawline but is completely healthy and on an elite athlete pathway.
I know it is so hard not to imagine the worst but there really could be many non-serious explanations.
Surely the first stage would be a full blood count? Can you ask the GP for this?
IsItTimeForGinYet · 21/01/2022 22:00
At a similar age one of my sons glands came up in his neck. It was large and clearly visible in photos. I took him to the doctor and he was referred for an ultrasound to check it out. I think he may also have had some bloods taken. Long story short he was absolutely fine. Hopefully you won't have too long to wait but wanted to reassure you that large glands don't always mean scary things...
Donotgogentle · 21/01/2022 22:07
DS1 had visibly enlarged glands in his neck as a toddler, following repeated infections.
GP referred him for a blood test to rule out anything nasty and he was fine. The glands stayed enlarged for years though.
I don’t think A&E is the right place to go. This is not an immediate emergency, your dd needs investigations and the gp has made the appropriate referral.
This must be really stressful op, sorry you’re in this position.
Incywinceyspider · 21/01/2022 22:08
In the gentlest possible way, YABU.
I absolutely understand why you would be thinking like this, but I think chances are if you went to A&E they would tell you need to wait for the referral and you would be dragging your DD to the hospital for no reason. A&E doctors are not paediatric cancer specialists.
If she gets worse then absolutely go. But otherwise I think you need to try and sit tight. I completely get how hard that must be though.
Frazzled2207 · 21/01/2022 22:12
You must be worried sick but ywbu to take her to a&e, doubtful there would be a paediatrician able to help you.
GP was very unreasonable to worry you like he did.
I hope it turns out to be nothing. I’d be worried sick too though.
Whenigrowupiwanttobea · 21/01/2022 22:12
My 28 year old son had the same when he was 2 years old. Cue lots of visits and blood tests. Turned out to be Glandular Fever which can be very serious in young children as it can attack the liver. He recovered over a few weeks but I was told that up until the age of 10y every time he caught a cold he would experience a GF flare. For a while there they had also presumed it was Leukaemia!
skaiqhdlsgh · 21/01/2022 22:13
"AIBU to take her to A&E? I want a paediatrician to look at her NOW and tell me if anything is concerning."
A&E won't be able to do this, obviously something is concerning and that is why she has been referred to the experts for this. A&E won't be able to facilitate the tests she requires.
I recently went to A&E with a serious illness (I didn't realise at the time) but all they could do was refer me to another department at a different hospital to get it properly diagnosed and treated.
I understand how you feel though, I was going crazy waiting for my diagnosis.
KittensTeaAndCake · 21/01/2022 22:15
Has your GP asked for your DD to have a blood test? Surely that would be the first step whilst waiting for the referral?
TiffanyAchingsHatFullofSky · 21/01/2022 22:18
OP we took my son to a paediatrician appointment because of a lump in his neck as well.
It was also query leukaemia.
She took one look at him and said there's no way that boy has leukaemia and off we went.
He still has the lump. He's 15 now.
He was constantly ill as well.
The illest out of all my children. Catching every bug, chest infection, sickness bug, scarlet fever, tonsillitis, you name it, he got it.
But he was fine.
There is hope!
AliveAndSleeping · 21/01/2022 22:20
Op I'm so sorry. We had a lymphoma scare with DD a few weeks ago and the night I came to know that the GP thought it might be lymphoma was one of the scariest nights I've ever had. This die hard atheist said quite a few prayers and did other crazy things to plead with the universe.
I'm not sure A n E would be able to do anything. Would going private be an option though even privately it might take upTo two weeks to see someone.
Best of luck op. I hope it's nothing serious. I wish I had something more useful to say.
SingSweetNightingale · 21/01/2022 22:25
Thank you for all your responses. It’s reassuring to hear of similar situations where it’s turned out ok.
Regarding the bloods - the GP made suggestion that she couldn’t have a simple blood test carried out by a phlebotomist due to her age. It would all need to be done at the referral in 2 weeks time.
I suppose I was hoping if I took her to a&e at least she may be seen by a more senior doctor than a GP but yes you’re right, they may not be the specialist she needs.
Our local hospital has a childrens a&e department which has paediatrician doctors who are assigned to each child who presents. I don’t know if this is the norm but she has been a few times due to illnesses and each time she’s seen a paediatric doctor or consultant
Gunpowder · 21/01/2022 22:25
DSis had this as a child. I remember my DM freaking out! It had to be biopsied but it was nothing serious. Hope it will be the same for your DD. A&e at the moment is pretty horrendous. I think it would be better for your DD to wait and have an urgent but routine calm appointment when they can do everything they need to.
In the meantime don’t rehearse disaster and try to distract yourself any way you can. You’ve got this. You are doing all you can and you are being strong for your DD.
SingSweetNightingale · 21/01/2022 22:26
We unfortunately can’t afford a private referral. Trust me I wish right now I had private health insurance
whynotwhatknot · 21/01/2022 22:28
Unless shes gone downhill i dont think a and e is appropriate they wont be able to tell you whats wrong just give you emergency treatment and tell you to wait for the referral
Crunchymum · 21/01/2022 22:30
My DC3 has noticeably swollen lymph nodes at a recent appointment (she has rare genetic condition and we were having a scheduled admission for a treatment, this lymph nodes were spotted during the standard peads check). Whilst they Dr was very calm and reassuring, we were sent for an immediate scan - we were lucky as we were already admitted and seen quickly and DC3 was also given blood tests, whilst she was an inpatient.
Thankfully all was clear but I appreciate how seriously it was taken and how quickly everyone acted.
Your child needs an xray and blood test. I am not sure they'll get those at A&E?
I was told that Leukaemia was the worse case scenario and there are many, many (less worse) reasons that lymph nodes can be raised. So please try not to panic.
To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.