Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To want our neighbours to not dry their laundry on their front drive?

Hop27 · 30/12/2021 06:55

We have new neighbours, they seem to live out their garage. Constantly fixing their 3 cars, parking their cars in front of other peoples drives. Sitting in their cars with the door open talking on their phone via the speaker, vaping - music blaring. Now drying their laundry on an airer on the front drive. AIBU to think put it in your back garden like normal people FFS. The rest is bad enough, but the whole street doesn't need to see your pants!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cattitudes · 30/12/2021 07:01

I think the other stuff would bother me more than the washing, especially if they are next door because you can see their washing whether it is front or back. Silver lining, at least in the summer you can enjoy the backgarden and your washing can dry in peace while they are all out the front.

Please
or

Hop27 · 30/12/2021 07:04

Sorry should have said they are opposite neighbours so every-time we drive/walk past we see their washing. We see it from our bedroom & my DH's office window.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ovenaffray · 30/12/2021 07:06

Maybe that’s where the sun is? Maybe it sits in the garage and they lift it out if the weather is dry?

Wouldn’t bother me tbh

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 30/12/2021 07:06

One of our houses people did a lit in their front gardens... because the back garden were mud pits, overshadowed by trees and had a mole infestation (the whole street). Front gardens were massive, dry and sunny.

They may have a good reason for it. Especially if you are somewhere with limited sun right now.

Please
or

4pmwinetimebebeh · 30/12/2021 07:06

It’s very much their prerogative where they wash their clothes, I would leave it.

Please
or

Seymour5 · 30/12/2021 07:09

I get you OP. That’s about the same level as having an old sofa in the front garden, or painting 3 feet tall house numbers in emulsion on the front of the house.

Please
or

LakieLady · 30/12/2021 07:10

I think it's a little eccentric, but I can't see any reason to let it bother you.

Just ignore it.

Please
or

Cattitudes · 30/12/2021 07:11

I still don't think it would bother me. Maybe washing machine is in garage so nearest doorway. Do they leave it to get darker on? Maybe fewer spiders at the front.

Please
or

Cattitudes · 30/12/2021 07:12

*darked on

Please
or

Bagelsandbrie · 30/12/2021 07:16

I’d be more annoyed about the rest of the stuff.

Please
or

gunnersgold · 30/12/2021 07:19

It's probably where the sun is , I imagine it's just a winter thing though and will stop in summer . We are often outside and tinkering with cars , we are allowed to do that ! Most of our neighbours never seem to leave their houses ! 🤷‍♀️

Please
or

rrhuth · 30/12/2021 07:28

There is nothing harmful, dangerous or morally damaging about seeing some clean washing. This is a non-issue.

'Music blaring' is the only thing you list that is really an issue.

It is best to try to live and let live.

Please
or

Youngstreet · 30/12/2021 07:35

Calm down Hyacinth!

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 30/12/2021 07:36

Depending on how new they are there may be an element of them not yet fully moved in/set up/working on house etc - all creating more front garden living?
It sounds a bit messy generally. I’d be unhappy about the noise and blocking people’s driveways.
The drying pants issue - I think it’s odd, glad I don’t live opposite them, would wish they wouldn’t if I were trying to sell property but day to day would be less of a problem than the other stuff.
You say they are new neighbours - they may settle down a bit ?

Please
or

Cattitudes · 30/12/2021 07:36

@rrhuth

There is nothing harmful, dangerous or morally damaging about seeing some clean washing. This is a non-issue.

'Music blaring' is the only thing you list that is really an issue.

It is best to try to live and let live.

To be fair parking their cars in front of other peoples drives is also a major crime on MN. You will get more sympathy for that angle OP.
Please
or

girlmom21 · 30/12/2021 07:38

I don't understand why them drying their washing out the front is an issue.

How much time do you spend looking out of your windows for this to be offensive to you?

Please
or

DeepaBeesKit · 30/12/2021 07:38

They can do whatever they want on their property.

Maybe it's where the sun is (for drying whites). Maybe its NOT where the sun is (coloured clothes). Maybe there's a lawn sprinkler out back. Maybe they have a dog in the back garden that would knock the washing off.

Maybe the front drive is right by the washer.

Not your business really.

Please
or

Soubriquet · 30/12/2021 07:40

What a weird thing to be bothered about

Please
or

pictish · 30/12/2021 07:42

@Hop27

Sorry should have said they are opposite neighbours so every-time we drive/walk past we see their washing. We see it from our bedroom & my DH's office window.

Oh good grief so what?

You simply cannot complain about this. It’s the silliest thing.
Please
or

violetbunny · 30/12/2021 07:42

What exactly is the issue with them using their airer on the drive? Seeing someone's underwear drying is hardly offensive, it's not like they're flaunting their naked buttocks. I couldn't get worked up about this.

Please
or

SundayTeatime · 30/12/2021 07:47

Music blaring is the only antisocial thing on your list. That would annoy me. The other things such as the parking and where they dry their laundry are fine. I can’t even understand why they would be an issue.

Please
or

SlashBeef · 30/12/2021 07:49

"It's Bouqueeeeet"

Please
or

Doomscrolling · 30/12/2021 07:52

YABU - it’s their garden, they can dry their washing in it if they like.

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 30/12/2021 07:53

Struggling to understand how parking blocking neighbours’ access to and from their own driveways isn’t a problem ? Did I miss the memo that today is some sort of ‘chill about everything, no matter what’ day. May give it a try ?!

Please
or

Gechik · 30/12/2021 07:54

Probably more space on the drive

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.