Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask the worst behaviour at Christmas you’ve witnessed by an adult?

SoniaFouler · 05/12/2021 18:58

Mine is:

Drunk cousin (24 at the time) shouting and arguing with everyone for most of Boxing Day three years ago, then topped it off when someone told her to stop being stupid by standing up and scraping the entire contents of her dinner plate all over the table and made my aunt cry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BarbaraLoganPrice · 05/12/2021 21:49

One was my 6ft6, built like a brick shithouse uncle. During dinner he accidentally dropped a Yorkshire pudding into a jug of juice. Became so enraged he stood up dramatically from the table and stomped out of the room, harrumphing and swearing. Refused to come back in (although to be fair, he was such a miserable, violent bully it was decidedly more festive without him).

One year was my Dad. Every Christmas brought on some kind of well-timed ailment. Sometimes he would refuse to get out of bed altogether, or if he did get up would make sure he put an absolute damper on the day. No reason for him to do it, he just couldn't bear the attention not being on him for a day. Really used to upset me as a child.
This particular year he spent the morning sighing and dropping "subtle" hints that he was unwell. This escalated when extended family arrived to the point where he shut himself in his office claiming he was having a heart attack (after sitting on google for half an hour). Persuaded my uncle to drive him to A&E where they waited for a few hours, got home mid-afternoon and my dad very quickly shot into the house and disappeared upstairs.
Asked my uncle how it went- "Trapped wind."

Please
or

Longingforatikihut · 05/12/2021 21:50

When I was 14 my mother's drunk husband-to-be dragged me out the house by my hair and locked me out. I was an ungrateful c-word because I wasn't playing with the sticky second hand my little pony his octogenarian mother had gifted me.

They were so dirty, came wrapped in an equally scraggly Asda carrier bag, not paper, and I was 14 not 4. I wasn't mean about them, but apparently I should have played with them on the floor like a toddler.

Whole extended family was scared of him so I wasn't allowed back in so I just went and sat on the park until my friend had finished her family dinner and she could sneak me into her house.

Please
or

JaniieJones · 05/12/2021 21:51

Omg @Longingforatikihut that is appalling Flowers

Please
or

Cocolapew · 05/12/2021 21:52

That would be me.
Newly married and Mil throw a major tantrum that we had to spend our first Christmas with her. Neither me nor DH actually like his parents.
We trudged through the snow to be met at the door by my SIL and her boyfriend.
Mil and Fil had worked nightshift and were in bed.
So we started drinking. Sil was in charge of making vegetable soup as a starter. It was in the pressure cooker and we couldn't figure out how to use it and the soup ended up exploding all over the ceiling and us.
By the time they woke up and we started to eat the 4 of us were legless. I had to keep leaving the table to boke.
Later we were playing Monopoly and FIL started shouting that he couldn't hear Emmerdale and kicked the board around the living room.
We left at this point and I went upstairs for a wee and fell down the stairs splitting my trousers.
It took us ages to walk home in a bloody blizzard pissed as farts and my arse hanging out of my breeks.

Please
or

Figgygal · 05/12/2021 21:52

Gosh some of these are so sad
I spent about 12 years pre kids partying up a storm on xmas eve was the best night of the year but always survived hangover free (well almost always)

Please
or

ArabellaScott · 05/12/2021 21:57

Longingforatikihut I'm so sorry.

Please
or

LubaLuca · 05/12/2021 22:00

My MIL made my son (14 at the time I think) cry at a family Christmas gathering because she went mental when he said he didn't plan to live where they live if he won the Euromillions Confused. She was shouting and crying because he thought he'd like to live abroad, and not in their unremarkable corner of Britain hundreds of miles from our home town. He obviously hadn't said it to upset her, but because he was a kid with unrealistic dreams, who couldn't enter the lottery anyway, who'd joined in a pointless hypothetical conversation. She doesn't drink, this was her in full control of her thoughts.

Please
or

SukiPook · 05/12/2021 22:00

@PowerhouseOfTheCell

Went to the pubs Xmas Eve with some friends, one friends mum turns up wasted with a group of men we don’t know. Declares to the whole pub she’s had a gang bang and just been fingered in the beer garden! Shock Absolute silence descends. My friend and her mum ended up scrapping in a bus shelter.
We’ve never spoken of it again but every time I go past that pub I shudder

This one wins!! :-D
Please
or

QueenofLouisiana · 05/12/2021 22:00

The year I spent hours making Christmas dinner for both sets of parents. I'd invited them as both MIL and my step-dad had lost their mothers in the preceding year, I didn't want them to be sitting at home looking at an empty chair.
I'd finished work quite late that year, DS was 5 and so totally hyper about Christmas and I found it all tough going. I spent a lot of money on a really nice turkey, a seafood platter from the fishmonger and lots of little treats. It's worth noting that I don't eat much of it as I am veggie.
As I finally sat down to lunch, my MIL started to tell me how great my SIL was, what a great mum she was, how nice her flat was, how wonderful it was that she had such a good time when they were together, how much she liked having her other grandson so close (we live an hour away).
At no point did she comment on the food, the effort or anything other than my SIL and how hard it was that they didn't have the same things we did (neglected to appreciate that DH and I worked full time and SIL didn't work- by choice).
That was the last Christmas I ever did at home- until last year when I was isolating and had a great day with just DH and DS. It was 10 years ago!

Please
or

TheBestWhootersInWhoville · 05/12/2021 22:07

This thread reminds me why I don’t allow alcohol in my house.

Please
or

Cheeseandlobster · 05/12/2021 22:08

@DimplesToadfoot

I was a single parent, on my knees financially, with no family of my own I had no help from anyone, the only presents my DS 9yo got were what I bought and it was never much. I scrimped and scraped to buy a remote control car, DS was playing with it on the driveway, the car was on the cusp of the driveway and pavement and had stopped moving, before either I or my son could get to it a man crossed the road and stomped on it, obviously shattering it into pieces. I shouted after the man but I'm disabled I couldn't give chase :-( my son was heartbroken and there was absolutely nothing I could do :-( eventually months later I had the money for another car, he didnt want one :-( Christmas never was the same for my DS after

I am heartbroken for your ds and angry that a cunt like that could do something like this to a child. I hope he got what was coming to him
Please
or

earsup · 05/12/2021 22:13

Some of these are awful...or worse....I always have a few people come to mine as they want to dodge the toxic family event..it's not worth it...just misery....I would rather sit in the Mc donalds than spend xmas with some of these vile people mentioned.

Please
or

PoinsettaPrincess · 05/12/2021 22:13

It was the year my mother sat at my table and as I was serving Christmas dinner said “oh do you have your dad’s doggy bag?” We hadn’t even started eating! I knew that was the last year I’d ever spend with my miserable bunch of a family and as I looked around the table I’d so carefully prepared I realised the reason why it would be the last year. That same year my sister insisted in cooking and bring the turkey as I apparently couldn’t be trusted cook. I was so glad when they left at year (2002). I’ve been NC with them since March 2003 and don’t regret a moment of being NC. Disclaimer, I’ve never killed anyone yet cooking the turkey 😂

Please
or

SeaToSki · 05/12/2021 22:13

Early on in my marriage MiL and FIL were staying with us for Xmas. Much tutting about the amount of presents under the tree (we only gave on gift per child from each person but with 4 dc that mounts up) and how when she was a mother her dc got 1 gift to share between them.
Then on Xmas morning, more tutting and asking the dc if they really needed so many gifts. She then forgot to get a gift for one of my dc and when I asked her if she might have left it in her room she just said no and he doesnt need anything more anyway..right in front of his 4 yr old face.

She hasnt been invited back until after the gifts are opened and put in the dcs bedrooms ever again.

Please
or

Laufeythejust · 05/12/2021 22:13

My mum and step dad having the mother of all arguments. My gran had a new partner to dinner and me and my step brother were trying to make polite conversation with them whilst we all could hear the shouting. They came in and served dinner like nothing had happened then went back and continued the argument. We were in the living room pretending to be really interested in who wants to be a millionaire DVD game as dinner plates were being frisbeed across the lawn.

Please
or

disconnected101 · 05/12/2021 22:17

@Buzzer3555

My mum got pissed and broke all my daughters Christmas presents then shat in her bed.

WTAF Xmas Shock
Please
or

NeverDropYourMooncup · 05/12/2021 22:21

Oh, the Christmas from Hell - or the one where I found out I was a better person than I thought.

A boyfriend got absolutely shitfaced because he was feeling sorry for himself about stuff that was absolutely nothing to do with me. Spent the evening bitching through a movie I wanted to watch. Then decided he needed to go and vomit, so shoved me out of the way to get up the stairs quickly. He missed the toilet, so stripped off his clothes and passed out in it all. Then, because he'd been retching so much, shat on the floor. Once I'd ascertained that he was still alive, he got manhandled half into the bath and hosed down with the showerhead before being told he was sleeping anywhere but with me.

I went to sleep. He came in and woke me up as he got into bed, then bitched that he couldn't sleep and maybe if my blowjobs were better, he'd not be wide awake every night. Told him to go away, but he passed out at that point, so I thought I'd deal with him in the morning.

At 3.34am, he woke up in the middle of a bad dream. So, being less than amused at this point but still sleepy, I told him he was dreaming and to go back to sleep, turning away from him as I did. The fucker hit/slapped me on my side because I wasn't listening to what he could see.

How I didn't murder him there and then, I have no fucking idea. I guess that a) I'm not a naturally violent person and b) I was so shocked by being hit for the first time that I was more in the 'WHAT THE FUCK' state than shit, he's hit me, mode.

He got hoyed out of bed at 6am to clean up his vomit, his clothes and the turd and told that if he even looked at me funny for the time it took him to clean it all up and get his shit together, I would kill him where he stood and tell the Police it was self defense without a shred of guilt. all bullshit but I was absolutely furious and wasn't about to cower to him or be nice because he looked grey in the face and horrified by what he had said and done

Please
or

ponkydonkey · 05/12/2021 22:23

God some of these are horrible... so sad
But does remind me why I always have Christmas at my home and have done since I was 19 years old. Only 1 person is allowed over apart from kids etc, is my friend who has an equally awful family. We have a great time

My mum wasn't great at Christmas either.

That's why I love Christmas

Please
or

Nat6999 · 05/12/2021 22:26

My exbil & my then dh fighting outside on Christmas day because we were totally skint & couldn't afford to buy his grown up step kids presents. We had lived on porridge for a month to be able to afford presents for ds.

Please
or

gah2teenagers · 05/12/2021 22:26

@Ellen888

Two of the family were playing Chinese Chequers with my grandparents. My grandad got fed up because my nan kept moving her pegs up the 'ladders' he'd made and winning.
So he snatched up the board and chucked, it pegs and all, onto the open fire.
It didn't half go up with a bang.
They never bought another set and we kids were forbidden to talk about it.....

Haha. We had similar with monopoly. Good times.
Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 05/12/2021 22:29

@Jacaranda75

Every year without fail my Mum’s DP would get drunk, throw the Christmas tree out of the window and smash all my presents.

I’ve never told anybody that before.

There are so many of us for whom childhood Christmases are nothing but bad memories of drunkeness, rows, panic attacks and misery.

I hope it was a relief for you to be able to acknowledge the reality of your Christmases.
Please
or

HerkyBaby · 05/12/2021 22:31

Mother refusing to accept Christmas presents given to her by grandson aged 10. He even tried to pass them to her through her open car window which she then closed . It was Christmas Eve. He was heart broken.

Please
or

timtam23 · 05/12/2021 22:31

Years ago when I was in my early 20s - My father asked for a particular thing for Christmas, I looked and looked for it but couldn't find it anywhere so with not long left before Christmas Day I bought something very similar but not exactly what had been asked for. My father then threw the most enormous strop about his present, how it wasn't what he wanted. He was so ungrateful. I had nowhere else to go so had to stay in the house for the rest of Christmas. He did grudgingly apologise later but it didn't seem very sincere at all (he still didn't like his present)and it put me off making much of an effort in future.

Please
or

AliceMcK · 05/12/2021 22:35

@Mooscow

My brother came to my house on Christmas day with a vomiting bug but didn't tell us. When one of his kids let the truth slip he got all defensive and said it was fine as he would wash his hands. Made out we were the worst people in the world when we were worried about him giving it to us. They left soon after lunch (he didn't eat anything) complaining that we were unwelcoming.

Spent the next 10 days with each one of us in the house coming down with the vomiting bug one by one, ruining our Christmas plans and all of our time off work, and the kids' holiday from school. He still complains about how unwelcoming we were!

My brother did this except it was his daughter he brought to our DDs birthday party in a soft play area, we hired the whole thing just for our group first thing before it was opened to the public. Us and the entire class were struck down with it but apparently it wasn’t his dd that made everyone sick 🤔
Please
or

JudgeJ · 05/12/2021 22:36

@Quickchangeartiste

These stories really put my own crappy Christmas tales into perspective.
Seriously hope you all have a lovely Christmas this year. You really deserve them .

I feel totally deprived, I don't think we've ever had a physical fight, puke, excrement at all, there have been a few mild words but that's all. Interesting that in so many cases it's the poster's mother who has behaved so bady.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.