Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask the worst behaviour at Christmas you’ve witnessed by an adult?

SoniaFouler · 05/12/2021 18:58

Mine is:

Drunk cousin (24 at the time) shouting and arguing with everyone for most of Boxing Day three years ago, then topped it off when someone told her to stop being stupid by standing up and scraping the entire contents of her dinner plate all over the table and made my aunt cry.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LuluBlakey1 · 05/12/2021 21:23

@Buzzer3555

My mum got pissed and broke all my daughters Christmas presents then shat in her bed.

Shock
Please
or

GeorgiaGirl52 · 05/12/2021 21:24

Widowed aunt comes to Christmas dinner at her niece's house (who was my mother). She visits twice a year for a day. She knows we are a dog family, but this year she brings her white Persian cat because "Charlie will do fine with dogs because he has never seen one." Charlie had instincts. Thirty seconds into the room and he jumped from her arms and headed to the highest place he could reach the top of the grandfather clock. Aunt has hysterics. My mother stopped everyone from rescuing him said "he can stay up there" and proceeded to have dinner and gifting etc. with the cat perched up there (and our dogs circling the bottom). When the day was over, we got a stepladder, got the cat down and handed him back to the Aunt.
Mother commented on how well-behaved he was and that he was welcome anytime. They never came again.

Please
or

LuluBlakey1 · 05/12/2021 21:25

@PowerhouseOfTheCell

Went to the pubs Xmas Eve with some friends, one friends mum turns up wasted with a group of men we don’t know. Declares to the whole pub she’s had a gang bang and just been fingered in the beer garden! Shock Absolute silence descends. My friend and her mum ended up scrapping in a bus shelter.
We’ve never spoken of it again but every time I go past that pub I shudder

Shock
Please
or

FabriqueBelgique · 05/12/2021 21:25

@MyComputerGetsSadWithoutMe

My sister coming out as gay- NOT because she was gay but because she then had a massive strop and sulk because all everyone said was that it's okay and we love her. She was drunk and wanted drama and for everyone to be shocked 😅

I had to laugh at this. I blame YouTube.
Please
or

myyellowcar · 05/12/2021 21:25

My mum and auntie cannot get on and ruin every Christmas arguing about absolutely nothing. Both manage to simultaneously be vile to each other and be the victim in the situation. They would literally bicker about fresh air. Exhausting and they can’t stop for one fucking day.

Please
or

Aurorie11 · 05/12/2021 21:26

SIL sulking and not doing Christmas last year, they delivered our presents over 9 months later despite receiving theirs before Christmas

Please
or

MrsBerthaRochester · 05/12/2021 21:26

Exbil decided to confide in exfil on xmas day that he was having an affair and leaving sil. Sil had been ear wigging and heard it all. Huge fight,tears as their two teenage kids were there.
Exbil was and still is a complete baldy wanker so she and I are well rid.

Please
or

GertrudeKerfuffle · 05/12/2021 21:29

Not as dramatic as most of these, but BIL and his OH invited my MIL and her partner for Christmas got us off the hook for a change.

BIL rang MIL on Christmas Day and told her not to go round. No proper explanation, except that he and his OH had had some kind of falling out and wouldn't have visitors. He left his mum with no Christmas dinner, she and her OH didn't have much food in the house as they were working a lot over Christmas. We would have had them round had we known, but MIL kept schtum until later as this BIL is still her favourite for some reason and she doesn't like to mention his shit behaviour Confused We were already NC but he went down further in my option after that.

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 05/12/2021 21:30

Reading these I’m so glad it’s just me and dh for Christmas, they’ve always been the best christmasses 😁

Breaking a kids 5pm car is unforgivable though. What a bastard.

Please
or

CAN1M · 05/12/2021 21:31

@Mooscow

My brother came to my house on Christmas day with a vomiting bug but didn't tell us. When one of his kids let the truth slip he got all defensive and said it was fine as he would wash his hands. Made out we were the worst people in the world when we were worried about him giving it to us. They left soon after lunch (he didn't eat anything) complaining that we were unwelcoming.

Spent the next 10 days with each one of us in the house coming down with the vomiting bug one by one, ruining our Christmas plans and all of our time off work, and the kids' holiday from school. He still complains about how unwelcoming we were!

Omg this is utterly unforgivable imho 🤢
Please
or

StopGo · 05/12/2021 21:31

'DM' at an amazing holiday barn decided to get drunk. I cooked dinner whilst DH and DF took DC out. M decided to throw bread at the table etc. Never forgiven her.

Please
or

Numbertime · 05/12/2021 21:32

ExBIL used to have an argument with someone and storm out every Christmas Day, we used to take bets on what time it would happen.

Looking back now and with a child with ASD who is very much like him I think it was sensory overload so I do feel a bit of remorse.

Please
or

Avarua · 05/12/2021 21:32

@DimplesToadfoot

I was a single parent, on my knees financially, with no family of my own I had no help from anyone, the only presents my DS 9yo got were what I bought and it was never much. I scrimped and scraped to buy a remote control car, DS was playing with it on the driveway, the car was on the cusp of the driveway and pavement and had stopped moving, before either I or my son could get to it a man crossed the road and stomped on it, obviously shattering it into pieces. I shouted after the man but I'm disabled I couldn't give chase :-( my son was heartbroken and there was absolutely nothing I could do :-( eventually months later I had the money for another car, he didnt want one :-( Christmas never was the same for my DS after

Okay this made me cry. Sorry about that awful man.
Please
or

FrankiesKnuckle · 05/12/2021 21:35

Another with an unpredictable mother... she's ruined several, how I'm still in contact with her I don't know.
The extreme ones are fairly outing, but others include declaring a really quite nice item of jewellery my dad got her one year as 'a fucking cheap piece of tat' in front of my friend on Christmas morning was one.
Drunk, rolling around on the floor begging my then 4 year old to tell her that they loved her and me asking her not to behave like that deemed me 'a fucking bitch' and that I was always picking on her. That same year she changed into her pyjamas halfway through dinner and many more thinly veiled digs at me then flounced off to bed (drunk obvs) at 7pm. In MY house.
Trust me, the other examples are much worse. I was thankful for covid last year! This year we're off to the lovely in-laws.
I'd do anything not to spend another Christmas with my own parents frankly.

Please
or

HSHorror · 05/12/2021 21:36

My dad 50 at the time nearly threw out all the presents as if it was the wrapping paper.
A few years ago dsis had a huge fight with me on boxing day. (I hadnt done anything) it was really load for well over an hour. Just saying i was always shouting (i had called theough to get dp to come look after dc as i had to lie down as i was in agony with my hip). It was none of her business, i couldnt walk as it hurt too much. I had also been annoyed at parents as dad had just hrown out the kids full drink cups (he can never leave anything where it is). In context i'd had no sleep for about 3y as id done every single night feed and dc didnt sleep through till over 3. Noone else was actually annoyed at me as dp understood i had hurt my hip and my parents are likely used to me being frustrated at dad chucking stuff out/moving everything. The kids were a nightmare at parents as lots of unsafe stuff with very adhd kids so not exactly relaxing being there (and dp would always just sit down all day watching films). Tbh i think the difficult ones (dsis and dad) dont see how difficult they make it for others. Likely asd.
I very rarely argue. But couldnt take being told off when they onky cause issue for my dparents so to be then told im causing parents stress (eyeroll).
It's hard when all the family are very difficult in different ways

Please
or

whatisheupto · 05/12/2021 21:36

My mum, having a massive strop, on several Christmases. We used to have to tread on eggshells around her and try to keep her happy and calm at the best of times. But she disliked cooking and the stress of Christmas lunch was always too much. Dad always did his share, or more than, but it was rarely enough to avoid a meltdown.

Please
or

Quickchangeartiste · 05/12/2021 21:37

These stories really put my own crappy Christmas tales into perspective.
Seriously hope you all have a lovely Christmas this year. You really deserve them .

Please
or

BearPomBear · 05/12/2021 21:38

Adult DS 24 had a fight with now ExH (his Dad) on Christmas Eve, police called, arrested ExH who spent Christmas day in the police station while myself and our 9 year old son sat in bed waiting for him to come home. Awful awful day! Needless to say neither of them will be here this Christmas Eve/Day!

Please
or

Pickles89 · 05/12/2021 21:39

My parents got drunk and had a screaming fight, my mum stormed out of the house and my dad went after her. My brother and sister and I were left alone scared and anxious about what to do. I don't think my sister, who's the eldest, can have even been 10. I don't know how long they were gone but it seemed like a long time. I remember us huddled round the phone wondering if we should call the police. It was horrible!

I don't drink alcohol at all and never will. I like to think I'd never scare my kids like that either.

Please
or

PrincessConsuelaBanana · 05/12/2021 21:39

@DimplesToadfoot

I was a single parent, on my knees financially, with no family of my own I had no help from anyone, the only presents my DS 9yo got were what I bought and it was never much. I scrimped and scraped to buy a remote control car, DS was playing with it on the driveway, the car was on the cusp of the driveway and pavement and had stopped moving, before either I or my son could get to it a man crossed the road and stomped on it, obviously shattering it into pieces. I shouted after the man but I'm disabled I couldn't give chase :-( my son was heartbroken and there was absolutely nothing I could do :-( eventually months later I had the money for another car, he didnt want one :-( Christmas never was the same for my DS after

This is so sad. What a vile man, I’m sorry Flowers I hope you and your son have a lovely Christmas this year, he’s very lucky to have such a lovely mum x
Please
or

Cryalot2 · 05/12/2021 21:41

Some of the stories are so sad, especially Dimples. So awful.

Please
or

KurtWildesChristmasNamechange · 05/12/2021 21:44

Exh flew into a rage on Christmas Eve and trashed the Christmas tree. Ragged it over, smashed baubles, ripped the lights from the plug. Then disappeared off to his latest shag. I can't even remember why he did it. That's how minor the reason was. It never took much. I spent most of Christmas Eve night trying to fix the tree so the kids wouldn't be upset in the morning.

Please
or

Jacaranda75 · 05/12/2021 21:47

Every year without fail my Mum’s DP would get drunk, throw the Christmas tree out of the window and smash all my presents.

I’ve never told anybody that before.

Please
or

ThreeWiseBuddhas · 05/12/2021 21:48

About 4 years ago, had my 83 year old 'D'M, FiL & 'D' MiL for Xmas dinner

In laws stayed Xmas Eve, FiL had Flu bless him but was trying to get through the day as he didn't want to be 'a bother', so was sat with a bucket in his lap 'just in case' I was just getting over a nasty viral infection, my Nephew and his GF turned up uninvited/empty handed just as dinner was being dished up so had to cater for them, there was a bit of an atmosphere building up. Every time my M went into the kitchen she refilled her glass from a very expensive bottle of red suffice to say she got pissed..... and then started shouting about how much she 'loved Nigel'...Nigel's lovely....Oh he's wonderful!
Myself and the others were looking at her whilst she held court, sitting on a red leather pouffe, glass waving in in the air, cubic zirconia ear studs glinting in the lights from the xmas tree
I looked at DP and mouthed 'who the fuck is Nigel?' (She'd divorced my DF years ago and he'd died about 15 years earlier) he shrugged and mouthed back 'I dunno'
FiL puked so I led him out to the garden handed him over to my DD then came back in to Mother STILL ranting on about Nigel
Asked her who exactly Nigel was and got the reply 'you stupid little Cunt it's Nigel....Nigel FARAGE!'
Within minutes she was bundled into the back of my DD's car, coat literally thrown at her, bag hurled into the front seat and deposited in her sheltered housing reception area.
I came back in told the Nephew/GF to bugger off and ponce off someone else
I then had to take my In Laws back to Wiltshire, complete with disinfected bucket and screaming Mother in Law saying that she was going to miss some Christmas Special on BBC1

Please
or

JustLyra · 05/12/2021 21:49

We all split the cost of food and drinks for Christmas Eve, Christmas Dinner and Boxing Day. It's always at our house as we have the space and usually 20-28 people. One year BIL had invited his new-ish girlfriend as she had nowhere else to go (became clear wise). It was last minute so she wasn't asked or expected to chip in - this is key - and no-one was remotely bothered.
However, BIL mentioned on Christmas morning that he'd just remembered to transfer his share to us. New GF took massive offense to the fact that he was "charged" for dinner at his brother's house. Despite being sat at a table with 24 members of his family she spent the whole meal saying "Oh, a roast potato... hmm this probably cost you X... Oooh turkey, probably about x pounds worth"
When she was offered a drink (she didn't bring a single thing with her yet turned her nose up at every drink option) she asked if it was like a wedding where you got one glass of shit wine with your meal before the pay bar opened. BIL snapped and told her they were leaving when one of my kids mentioned one of their gifts and she asked if we bought that from the meal profits.

That said my very worst was my father when I was a child. My parents were horrific, thankfully my Grandparents took us when I was 7.
One of my earliest memories is my father asking me what my favourite present was and me forgetting, in my excitement, my brother's warning to never tell Dad your favourite anything.
I'd accidentally knocked into my Dad earlier in te day trying to catch snow when we were walking home from Christmas dinner at my GPs. As punishment he ripped the head and limbs from my favourite new toy (a doll), stamped on it and then put it down the rubbish chute in the close. I think I was 3.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.