Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Does everyone feel like this? Mysophonia?

164 replies

MaintainTheMolehill · 29/12/2019 00:04

I always thought everyone was like this until DH said it's just me.
I cope fine with loud noises, concerts, shouting etc but if there are two loud noises or more at the same time, I can't cope and find I am panicky, agitated and angry.
For example if the TV is loud and someone is talking, I feel like this.

Does anyone else or AIBU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

DotBall · 29/12/2019 00:05

Me to a tee.

barcodescanner · 29/12/2019 00:06

Yep! Eating and loud breathing

user764329056 · 29/12/2019 00:06

Yes, ditto

Campervan69 · 29/12/2019 00:07

How have you managed to get 114% you are not being unreasonable? That's absolutely brilliant well done I have to say I am with you though you are not being unreasonable in my opinion

Does everyone feel like this? Mysophonia?

Instagrrr · 29/12/2019 00:08

I’m like this. I can’t unpick sounds from each other, it’s like I hear everything all at once at one volume. I can’t stand certain sounds too 🤮

DS is autistic and I suspect I’ve likely got some sensory issues.

Xmasbaby11 · 29/12/2019 00:08

Doesn't bother me.

Ohyesiam · 29/12/2019 00:10

The sound of people eating. Boak

PrincessSarene · 29/12/2019 00:10

I get like this. They don’t even have to be really loud, I just can’t process more than one source of noise at a time. It makes me really anxious and agitated. My DH doesn’t react like that though, so I’ve had to do a lot of explaining/reminding and he’s really good now e.g. using earphones to listen to stuff on his phone if the TV is already on. So whilst not everyone experiences the same reaction, it’s definitely not just you.

DragonMamma · 29/12/2019 00:11

This is me. I get ridiculously stressed and become a complete cow if I’m forced to listen to it.

My biggest stressor is DH watching football and the DC asking me something at the same time. It’s unbelievably awful and I could lose my shit so easily. What’s more distressing is that I know I’m being unreasonable but my reaction is so visceral I can’t help it.

milliefiori · 29/12/2019 00:11

I have this and it still bemuses and frustrates DH. He can have the radio blaring voices then try and talk to me. My mind overloads instantly and I feel sick, panicky and really stressed and irritable as my brain tries and fails to listen to both voices equally and process their information simultaneously.
I never knew it had a name.

MaintainTheMolehill · 29/12/2019 00:13

Thanks for the comments so far. A further google shows I may not have used the correct term. Its not specific noises that bother me, it when there are two or more at the same time. If its really bad I shut down. I missed most of the converstation at Christmas dinner as there was music playing and people talking so when its that bad I zone out.

I do have OCD too but thought Autism might be possible.

OP posts:

FaFoutis · 29/12/2019 00:15

I do this, sounds normal to me.

Pieceofpurplesky · 29/12/2019 00:23

My DS is like this. He has really sensitive hearing. Doesn't help that my Dad is partially dead and doesn't wear his hearing aids (think TV on max volume and him talking loudly to DS)

73Sunglasslover · 29/12/2019 00:24

I have some sensory processing issues. I hate music playing whilst people are talking - are we listening to music or talking? I can't do both.

TheDogsMother · 29/12/2019 00:30

This is me. It can be conflicting loud conversations or specific sounds (ie loud eating). I can find myself standing between two or three loud conversations and I can't make out the specifics of any of them and get a kind of 'flight' panicky reaction.

MaintainTheMolehill · 29/12/2019 00:43

I'm glad I'm not the only one then, just something I need to learn to deal with better I suppose.

The interesting thing is it has improved slightly with me taking pregabalin for back pain so I'm thinking it could be anxiety related.

OP posts:

StegosaurusRex · 29/12/2019 00:44

Me, too! Really sets off my anxiety and fatigue. My brain just switches off and gets lost in the noise and I get really frustrated not being able to shut it all up

user1494182820 · 29/12/2019 00:46

I have this 😭 it's awful. My OH genuinely doesn't get it and seems to think I just don't like him being "happy" i.e. Bouncing around making Loud, clashing noises!

NearlyGranny · 29/12/2019 00:46

I think decades of being with 30+ children at once taught me to selectively filter, enhance and subdue from among multiple streams of sounds and switch them in and out at need. It's sort of using ears as if they were eyes. It's exhausting, though, hence the need for those long holidays. 😉

Like you, I thought everyone was like me and did the same. It's an assumption we all fall into. I don't know if there's any training for this, but practice might help.

bonzo77 · 29/12/2019 00:54

I’m the same. It’s getting worse. Sets my anxiety off.

snowball28 · 29/12/2019 00:54

This is me, singing along to the radio is one of my biggest triggers. I’ve long since suspected I have some sensory processing issues and actually if I wasn’t so scared of being laughed out of the room I’d investigate the possibility of Autism my brother is autistic and I recognise a lot of me in him.

ButterflyBook · 29/12/2019 00:56

I have this and it still bemuses and frustrates DH. He can have the radio blaring voices then try and talk to me

My husband does this and it makes me upset and stressed and I can't explain why. I've asked him over and again, if you're listening to noisy sport, please turn it down before you speak to me. He doesn't seem to register my request as being important, like I'm just being awkward for the fun of it. I can't formulate my thoughts under a barrage of noise. He really doesn't get it. He can have the radio and TV on at the same time and still talk on the phone to his mother. I know he thinks it's me being weird, but it's not weird is it? To like calmness and quiet?

DryToast · 29/12/2019 00:57

YANBU. I’m exactly the same but my anxiety peaks when I’m in the car. The mix of the car engine, traffic, the radio and someone trying to have a conversation with me makes my teeth itch.

DramaAlpaca · 29/12/2019 00:59

Yes, this is me.

LizB62A · 29/12/2019 00:59

Me, my sister, my mum was like this also.
It drives me bananas....

I went to the hospital for an assessment and commented that I wouldn't have been able to work in their office due to their really noisy kettle - they couldn't hear it but I could.
I have trouble hearing what people are telling me, but no trouble hearing other noises....

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?