Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask about baby nighties......

84 replies

Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:25

Are they becoming a thing now?. A bit like Spanish baby clothing, very traditional.
I make baby/toddler clothing, on a very small scale, more word of mouth.
I remember mine wearing these nighties, there were obviously babygros, but I just loved the feel of them on baby.
I've seen them for sale more and more.
Anyway, deciding to make up some, embroidered and some smocked, probably personalised, Do you think it could be a popular item?
I've attached a photo of the sort of style I mean, they will be in white flannelette.

To ask about baby nighties......
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

77 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
40%
You are NOT being unreasonable
60%
Scarletoharaseyebrows · 28/12/2019 19:27

Are they safe to sleep in?

Horehound · 28/12/2019 19:28

I used them for the first 8 weeks or so. Quite liked them as easy to change nappies

Yep, I'd go for it!

Horehound · 28/12/2019 19:28

Oh mine had elastic at the bottom so the feet stayed in then and didn't ride up

puds11 · 28/12/2019 19:29

I’d assume they weren’t sleep safe and would doubt anywhere that said they were. I would not buy them.

modgepodge · 28/12/2019 19:30

I think they would be safe, as there’s a drawstring around the bottom to tighten it up so it’s not loose fabric floating around. That said, is the drawstring then safe? I’ve heard of these (think nighttime nappy changes are easier, no baby grow legs to faff with) but never seen them sold. I wonder if they have gone out of fashion or been deemed unsafe with current guidelines?

mummyduckduck · 28/12/2019 19:30

Not something I would pick. I love babies in little sleep suits with feet so everything stays warm.

bananaontoast1 · 28/12/2019 19:30

They're cute... but I wouldn't dress my baby in them. He wriggles so much I'd worry about them ending up over his face, and in all honesty anything vaguely decorative I daren't dress him in in case of poo/wee/sick/whatever explosions. Far too much laundry work.

moodolph · 28/12/2019 19:31

Just had to google name, someone bought Dd some from John Lewis, elastic at bottom, called bundlers .

Ledehe · 28/12/2019 19:32

There is quite stringent safety regulations about nightwear for children:

The Nightwear (Safety) Regulations 1985 make it an offence to supply some children's nightwear unless it has been treated so that it conforms, after washing, to the flammability performance requirements of British Standard BS 5722: Specification for flammability performance of fabrics and fabric combinations used in nightwear garments.

NotSoThinLizzy · 28/12/2019 19:36

M and co are selling these atm but you can have them either way so you can do up poppers like normal without feet or have them like this.

mousemousse · 28/12/2019 19:38

I use bundlers at night which are like nighties with elastic bit at the bottom, but I use them underneath a gro bag so nothing can ride up over face etc. They make night changes very easy.

Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:39

They are safe, sold by a few upmarket baby clothing retailers, including John Lewis. Slightly different from the original as they used to have a neck tie at the back.
I only ever use organic, chemical free fabric, obviously non flammable too.
Draw string at base, but am looking at other alternatives.

OP posts:
WaterSheep · 28/12/2019 19:40

Draw string at base

Is this safe?

Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:42

Will be using brushed cotton/flannelette.
Really quick to change baby too.
Would probably only do up to 6 months. No bigger.

OP posts:
BendingSpoons · 28/12/2019 19:44

I liked the idea for DD, although never got round to getting any. I would only have bought them in the smallest sizes (0-3m, possibly 3-6m) as I quickly stopped doing night time changes.

Scarletoharaseyebrows · 28/12/2019 19:47

The words string and sleep and baby shouldn't be used together.

Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:48

@WaterSheep
As they are for small babies, yes they are safe. But as I say I am looking at alternatives. The original type were open at the bottom, as most babies were swaddled.
@BendingSpoons yes, that's why I would only do up to 6 months. Also they become much more wriggling and a baby gro would be much more practical by then.

OP posts:
Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:50

@Scarletoharaseyebrows
Well, they are sold like that at retailers, like I say, not sure that's what I would use.

OP posts:
TestingTestingWonTooFree · 28/12/2019 19:50

I liked the stretch cotton bundlers for small babies that had lots of night time changes. The downside was that you couldn’t then take them out in their pyjamas.

WaterSheep · 28/12/2019 19:51

As they are for small babies, yes they are safe.

But you don't know the age of the child wearing them, a 6 month old could still be in 3 month old clothing.

Rubyupbeat · 28/12/2019 19:58

@watersheep of course, and these are all of the things I am considering. How and why, types of closures etc....

OP posts:
AbsinthedelaBonchance · 28/12/2019 19:59

Got my mum to make me four of these ( not full-skirted) to same pattern she had for my siblings and I for my child 23 years ago - absolutely brilliant made nighttime nappy changes a doddle

mynameiscalypso · 28/12/2019 20:02

I feel like it's the kind of thing that someone would buy as a present and then we'd never use. I'd worry about feet getting cold (I presume the drawstring is above the feet?) and I have such a wriggly baby that I'm pretty sure he'd end up out of it really quickly. He wriggles out of his sleepsuits half the time as it is.

Londonmummy66 · 28/12/2019 20:08

For DD1 I bought these in a fine cotton lawn (August baby). They were brilliant for nappy changes etc and not a problem riding up as she was swaddled and then in a gro bag. DC2 had them in flannelette as a winter baby.

I'd certainly buy if I were having more DC - they weren't easy to find....

CastleCrasher · 28/12/2019 20:23

I had a couple of bundlers for dc1 with elasticated bottoms. Very handy for nappy changes. Can't remember why but I didn't use them for dc2. No way would I buy one with a drawstring.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.