My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

What's the biggest lie/distortion you have seen someone post on social media?

245 replies

grumpelgoatskin · 19/12/2019 12:36

A friend posts regularly on Facebook about her very happy marriage and her wonderful husband.

In reality she cannot stand him and is looking for a way out.

I have no idea why she feels the need to post these lovey posts when she could just post nothing.

OP posts:
Snuffkindle · 19/12/2019 12:42

My neighbour quite often posts about her legendary parties. It mystifies me. I have been to a few and though nice enough, they seem to involve people sitting and chatting. I don't even recall any music being on. Maybe these parties only get going after I've gone, or maybe she is full of sh*t Grin

20wedding19 · 19/12/2019 12:53

A person I know is always posting pictures of her child on Insta saying things like "my no1 priority" but the reality is that she sees him once a week in a contact centre because she chose drink over the child too many times.

DobbyLovesSocks · 19/12/2019 12:57

Urgh! I know someone like this OP. Posts about how much they love their DP, tags them in lovey dovey memes etc. Cue friends then commenting about how sweet they are together and how lucky they are to have each other etc etc.

In reality they argue constantly, sleep mostly in separate bedrooms and are really not happy at all.

SM only shows you what people want you to see. I have stepped away from SM massively in the last year and now rely on whatsapp to update family on any news we have

HowlsMovingBungalow · 19/12/2019 13:02

Someone I knew used to post 'wonderful' photos of her home - I used to clean for her, her home was very far away from wonderful, the photos were taken after I spent whole days deep cleaning Grin.

I don't do farceache anymore - it is mainly full of lies and gloating.

tallulahhulah1 · 19/12/2019 13:04

Oh boy, I always say who ever shouts the loudest usually has nothing to say.

I use to have this guy on Facebook who posted like he was rich but turned out he was quite broke and wasn't even paying child support.

StapleTakerOuter · 19/12/2019 13:07

Someone I know used to keep posting about how wonderful the location of her home was (next to a landmark)

Said landmark had fireworks (regular occurrence) and she posted a Facebook status saying how awful it was for her young son and she was angry

No more than 5 mins later she deleted it and reposted a news article of the fireworks saying how amazing it was to have this next door Hmm Xmas Grin

Fucking bonkers

imoverworkedandunderpaid · 19/12/2019 13:09

A school mum friend, who herself is very very nice, but her 2 daughters are habitual bullies .... posts regularly about how bad bullying is and how we should all step in to help those effected. Normally followed up by gushing replies hoping the girls are ok 🤨

YouWereRight · 19/12/2019 13:10

One of the dad's in DC's class rabbits on about his beautiful, amazing, wonderful wife. In reality he's shagging one of his employees.

Friend posts pictures of far flung places paid for by a MLM, in reality they camp in the UK for a week in the summer.

Borisdaspide · 19/12/2019 13:11

Someone I know who makes out like he's a self made man who came from nothing and anyone can do it if they work hard blah blah blah was given £1m on his 21st birthday.

QuietCrotchgoblins · 19/12/2019 13:11

I take everything with a pinch of salt on sm. My cousin is constantly posing about her fabulous life, gifted child etc. Meeting her in real life bears no resemblence- she talks negatively about her child, has been investigated by social services 're treatment of the child, almost divorcing. I feel sad for her and especially sad she feels she has to put a front on sm.

Tombliwho · 19/12/2019 13:12

An Instagram "cleaner" once faked her own suicide. That was interesting.

sarahjconnor · 19/12/2019 13:13

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinytoast · 19/12/2019 13:16

@tombliwho Ohhh give us more details!!

Misscromwellrocks · 19/12/2019 13:18

Not so much a lie, but people posting heavily filtered photos of themselves so that their friends will makr comments like 'wow, gorgeous' or 'yummy mummy', bewilder me.

What exactly is the point?

WatchingTheMoon · 19/12/2019 13:19

Similar to you OP, a guy I know and his wife both post long, cheesy posts about how much they love and support each other. This is every birthday/anniversary. His feed is also full of pictures of his kids.

In reality, he moans about her constantly, was out getting pissed every night when his daughter was weeks old, and the wife used to ring me up asking if I knew where he was because it was 3AM and he'd disappeared. When I first met him, his daughter had just been born and he asked me to go for after work drinks because he was desperate for a break. I assumed his kid was a few months old and he hadn't had a break for ages, but she was less than a week old!

Also assumed his wife was some kind of awful controlling wanker from how he spoke about her. Met her. She is lovely, kind, does everything for their family.

I was never the biggest fan of most men anyway, but after meeting him, I realised what a load of shit most of them talk about their wives and families when they're actually the ones who are the twats.

I understand why he makes the posts, not sure why she bothers.

hsegfiugseskufh · 19/12/2019 13:22

my in laws. on facebook and to their friends they have happy marriage, perfect relationship and family. Recently posted very soppy lovely statuses about eachother for a big anniversary.

Truth is, he's abusive and she's fucking miserable but doesn't dare leave. He has been an abusive prick from day one, but she doesn't know any better. They don't barely see us, their family, because FIL doesn't like me, and prefers dps ex.

HolyGuac · 19/12/2019 13:23

Ohhh so many to choose from but hands down the best, was a friends new boyfriend who had a feed full of pics of him partying, working, travelling being super busy loving the single life, then all over her and gushing about his new found love while in reality he was married with two kids! Friend didn't find out till three months in.

1CantPickAName · 19/12/2019 13:24

Distant relatives who gush constantly about how devoted they are to each other but in reality she had a 5 year affair with one of his friends and the rest of his friends knew about it.

She is very ‘spiritual’ a Buddhist apparently, bitches about everyone they know whenever I’ve seen her!

HowlsMovingBungalow · 19/12/2019 13:25

Yes to the pp, the filtered posters who look NOTHING like their profiles! I've seen people even filter pictures of their babies - wtf is that all about?

Tombliwho · 19/12/2019 13:26

@tinytoast it was earlier this year before summer I think. All the insta zolfora/hinch huns were scrapping amongst themselves and one called Lou sent a text to another hun pretending to be her mum saying she was dead. Hun then cries on a live because Lou is "dead", everyone in uproar. Turned out she was very much alive. Even her mum and boyfriend were in on it. Honestly Instagram is a rabbit hole, don't dive in unless you want to lose hours of your life 😂

avidteadrinker · 19/12/2019 13:26

I went on a ski holiday with some uni friends where we all learned to ski. One person HATED skiing (after barely trying) and spent the week either moaning or messaging her new boyfriend. Not that you would know from SM ... we were (apparently) having the most amazing time!
The final straw was at the airport when we overheard her on phone to her boyfriend complaining about how bored she was ... when she had barely been present for the whole holiday.
Suffice to say, I haven't seen her since, but I really doubt the 'happy family life with perfect house' which she posts on SM. Can't stand the self absorbed narcissistic nature of it.

Coatzillaclaus · 19/12/2019 13:28

I have someone who regularly posts pics of her adorable angelic DC when in fact said child is a bit of a handful and she really struggles with her behaviour 🤷🏼‍♀️

WhiteDenim · 19/12/2019 13:29

The last few years I lived next to two social media personalities (a couple). They would make 'hilarious' videos together, post about how much they loved each other, and their hundreds of thousands of followers would comment on how they were #couplegoals, yahdiyahdiyah. The walls were very thin, and I would hear them scream at each other constantly. Screaming like I have never heard before, throwing stuff, the works.

Sure enough, they've split up. It was all so fake, and worse because it was all for the #spon #ad dollar. All seemed very sad to me.

IamPickleRick · 19/12/2019 13:29

Yeah I know loads of ex school bullies who post about loads about anti bullying. It’s like they have a mental block over who they were between the ages of 11-18. And they are still really bitchy women. I’ve blocked them all, my social media is cats and knitting accounts only!

Shhhhh223 · 19/12/2019 13:30

Prob the local mlm pusher who claims to be earning £12,000 a month but still lives in rented house and who’s lifestyle hasn’t changed from when she had a “normal Job” ....she claims she gives it all to charity

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.