My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

that if you don't know someone well enough to hear they've moved ...

124 replies

PineappleDanish · 19/12/2019 08:35

That you don't need to send a Christmas card?

We've been in our house 12 years. Every Christmas we get a card for the previous residents, no return address. Opened it this year to see if there were more clues inside. Message reads: to from Claire, Niall, Eva, Sarah-Louise and Michael. Hope to catch up with you in 2020.

Yes I hope you catch up with them too Claire, so they can tell you that they moved house in 2008.

Similarly, we had a card through the door yesterday for an ex-neighbour who is now a close friend. They moved out 8 years ago, and don't live too far away. Their card was addressed to wrong house number - for example we're 87, they were 89 and the card was addressed to 81. Postie obviously realised they weren't at 81, so thought the 1 was possibly a 7.

So if you're a Claire living somewhere in the Republic of Ireland who is merrily buying cards each winter and wasting money on postage to Scotland, please stop. They've moved and haven't told you.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

itsgoodtobehome · 19/12/2019 10:14

Oh yes. We get one every year from Claire, Graham, Alex and Nick. We have lived here for 8 years and it comes every year without fail with the most tedious round robin letter inside. Me and DH get quite excited each year to hear what this family have been up to. They drone on and on about how they travel the world doing triathlons, and what their grown up sons and their girlfriends are up to. To be honest, I can understand why the previous owners of our house never bothered to tell them they had moved - probably glad to never hear from them again!! The weirdest bit is that they still sign the card from all 4 of them even though the 2 sons are clearly grown up and living their own lives (and probably sending their own equally tedious cards)!!

Fuckoffdailymail222 · 19/12/2019 10:16

Some things on this thread are very sad.

Some are hilarious.

Youseethethingis · 19/12/2019 10:19

I had a very flustered lady on my doorstep last week trying to deliver Christmas presents to the previous owners. They only moved away in June this year but it was awful to see the embarrassment and confusion in the flesh.

SuzieSunshine · 19/12/2019 10:20

It's such a stupid thing but this really irritates me!! Still getting Xmas cards for a lady down the road and we've lived here for 8 years. I got a card last year for someone I'd never heard of so I opened it up and saw that it was a condolence card with a phone number so, helpfully :( I rang the number. The man said could I send it back to him but "to do it quickly" as the card needed to be there before the funeral. OK - not really a problem - so I wrote his address on it ready to post it back. He then rings me and says he's transposed the house number so could I go and deliver it to the correct house. OK - again not a problem but there was no word of thanks or appreciation that I'd done this for him. He's just sent a Xmas card with the wrong bloody number on it again so I've put the correct number on it and redelivered it. I'll just bin it next year.

AlrightyyThen · 19/12/2019 10:33

Dealing with this at the moment! Lived here for over 4 years and every year I get a card for a couple who aren’t the previous tenants, aren’t the neighbours and aren’t the occupants of a similarly named road (I went round to check)

It’s my exact address on the envelope but no postcode so I think the person posting it is just hazarding a guess

I accidentally opened it this year and it’s from the persons brother! Confused (it says “to my brother and sister in law” on the front, it’s not out of a pack it’s individually bought)

I found the couple on 192 and it says my town name on but I don’t want to pay to receive anymore information 😂 I tried posting on Facebook locally with no luck. It’s sad to think this man has no idea his brother is sending him cards, especially if they’re low contact, he maybe thinks he doesn’t care

LoobyLou1976 · 19/12/2019 10:36

I raise you 15 years of getting someone else's cards! We had had without fail, a card every year for our previous occupants. However, we just moved house 4 weeks ago and I fully expect to receive the card in my redirected mail!

What was really sad was that for the first few years we got letters from a donkey sanctuary asking the previous owner to renew their membership/charity direct debit, the letters became increasingly begging then eventually tapered off. I always felt really bad for them! We had no way of contacting the previous occupants and so could never forward the letters and cards. Yes, I agree if you've moved out 15 years ago you probably don't care much about the person if you never bothered to let them know your new address.

squashyhat · 19/12/2019 10:40

A financial institution is still sending letters to the previous occupants of my house who moved out 23 years ago. I have returned every single one to sender telling them this. From now on they are going straight into the recycling.

RuggerHug · 19/12/2019 10:40

I hate giving anecdotal evidence to people who think we're a tiny island and all know each other but I do know a family with those namesBlushXmas Shock

PineappleDanish · 19/12/2019 10:40

Our local community Facebook page is bursting with posts like this at the moment! Must be a very common occurrence. Only shame that Claire didn't include a wee round robin note to help me track her down.

OP posts:
ChaiNashta · 19/12/2019 10:43

Yep we've has this for the last 6 years from the previous occupant's workplace (she's a solicitor). A card every year on her birthday and at Christmas, signed by all her (former?) colleagues and no return address on it.

DDIJ · 19/12/2019 10:46

This reply has been withdrawn

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

PineappleDanish · 19/12/2019 10:48

Which begs the question why are you sending cards to people you don't know??

OP posts:
DDIJ · 19/12/2019 10:50

This reply has been withdrawn

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints · 19/12/2019 10:50

YANBU.

I’m fairly certain the new tenants in my Dad’s old house (who moved in earlier this year) will be getting a card addressed to Mary & Frank. My Dad moved in to that house in 1986 after Mary died (Frank has died about 2 years earlier) & he still got his yearly card addressed to them in 2017 from Marge Confused. Mary would be around 100 now, I think.

*names changed.

IckyIsAFuckingStupidWord · 19/12/2019 10:51

This happened to us this week.

Card comes addressed to Mr and Mrs W XYZ. So I opened the card for more clues. Got the first name of the intended recipient and looked on Facebook for him. Found a person in my town with the same name so messaged him. Yes it was the right person who then said he’d make contact with the sender as he’d moved from our address over 20 years ago!!!

Hopefully next year it will be one less card through my door!

Radardodgingninga · 19/12/2019 10:57

When we moved into this house, we got Christmas cards for the previous owners from their adult son! This went on for several years. In the end they stopped coming but I don’t know whether they told him they’d moved or whether he died (or maybe they did 😕).

Honeyroar · 19/12/2019 11:03

Some people don’t take notice of new addresses. We lived in one house, then bought next door and knocked through. We adopted the name of the second house (this is v rural, so no house numbers). The first house name is no longer on the postal lists, yet we still get Xmas cards to the previous address despite putting an address sticker on the cards we send each year. Thankfully the postman has delivered here for decades so knows that the old named house was ours. A new postman probably wouldn’t.

PebbleBubbleFountain · 19/12/2019 11:05

It's our first Christmas in this house (moved in May) and we have had one card addressed to previous owners. On the envelope they have written "If moved please forward on". So they had some inkling that they were moving, but obviously not in contact enough to know their new address!

Jins · 19/12/2019 11:15

We moved here in 2001. We still get cards every year for the previous owners. I will be sad when they stop

AllYouGoodGoodPeople · 19/12/2019 11:16

We get a card every year for the occupant from 20+ years ago who has since moved and remarried and changed her name.

I also had a phone call when we'd been in the house for a year or so for the previous occupant who had moved 150 miles away - not the card lady. The person on the phone was very insistent I was wrong, I hadn't lived there a year and said "she never mentioned moving, and I'd know, I'm her sister in law" Grin Definitely a story to tell there!

theemmadilemma · 19/12/2019 11:23

15 years I've been here. I get cards for the previous owners every year.

I might open it this year.

handslikecowstits · 19/12/2019 11:25

I had this for a few years until I got fed up, resealed the envelope and wrote 'not known at this address' and 'return to sender' and shoved it back in the post box. As they'd written their own address on the back of the envelope, I assume they got the card back. I haven't heard from 'Joan' since.

Gatehouse77 · 19/12/2019 11:33

We’ve been in our house for nearly 19 years.
Previous owners still get a Christmas card from someone and the occasional catalogue (despite doing return to sender many times).

Mynameisrow · 19/12/2019 11:42

We get a birthday card every year and it always has £15 in it and we have no idea how to get it back to the owners. We actually keep them all in a plastic wallet in our kitchen drawer in case they ever realise and come for them. We’ve got over £100 sat in there so far.

But the card is not addressed to the previous owner or any of our neighbours. I’ve shared it on local Facebook groups and everything and just can’t locate the sender or intended recipient. They don’t send us a Christmas card though ha.

Allmyarseandpeggymartin · 19/12/2019 11:47

We had this for the first 4 years that we lived in this house - we got a round robin all about this family and what they were up to. I was gutted when they stopped - I never got to find out if Tyler passed his Btec Xmas Sad

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.