Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Have I left potty training too late?

74 replies

Usernamqwerty · 14/12/2019 17:27

DS turned 3 in September. I have two potty training books - Gina Ford which mentioned waiting until they are ready and able to tell you they need a wee. So I have been waiting and DS sometimes tells me he's done a poo, but no mention of impending wees...

I recently got 'Oh Crap!' Potty training book which says we should definitely potty train by 30 months 😩.

Am confused and panicking we have left it too late and it's going to be a nightmare to do now.

Any ideas? 🤔 X

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

90 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
44%
You are NOT being unreasonable
56%
ItchySeveredFoot · 14/12/2019 17:29

No you haven't left it too late. Take all trousers and nappies off, bung a potty in the room and encourage for wees. Prepare for lots of accidents. This will give you a general idea of whether your dc is ready.

Shesellsseashellsontheseashore · 14/12/2019 17:30

Well one of mine was just before 3rd birthday and the other a few weeks after 3rd birthday. Both great within the week, no accidents, no fuss. They weren't ready before that.

Nursing83 · 14/12/2019 17:30

My eldest potty trained at 3y 2 months. I had to encourage her a lot as she was more than happy using a nappy, I thought seeing all the other kids at preschool doing it would help but she is very stubborn. I told her she needed to wear knickers cos she was a big girl, the first day she looked surprised everytime she weed but the second day she got it straight away and was sorted. It took a while before she pood in the toilet but she was dry very fast.

TreesSandSea · 14/12/2019 17:30

Just do it! I’d go straight to the loo at that age.
No nappies, 1 chocolate button for a wee on the loo, 2 for a poo.

Trained my 3 this way each within a week xx

AtrociousCircumstance · 14/12/2019 17:31

It’s much easier when they’re this age. Don’t worry - just start! Lots of rewards and bribes Smile

Rainallnight · 14/12/2019 17:31

No, you haven’t. I did it early, encouraged by Oh Crap, and now have a kid with long term constipation and withholding issues. Wait till they’re ready.

BeardyButton · 14/12/2019 17:32

No. I did at three and half. Easy peasy then. Was ready.

jaseyraex · 14/12/2019 17:34

My DS was 3 and a half before he was toilet trained. We never used a potty, straight to the toilet, and used a sticker chart with small treats like chocolate buttons then bigger treats like a magazine or small toy for every 10 stickers. Worked amazingly and he was trained in 3 days and I think that's because I waited until he was absolutely ready. If he's ready now, go for it!

BlueEyedFloozy · 14/12/2019 17:35

No.

If he's not ready you hold off until he is.

I've yet to meet an adult who just didn't toilet train regardless of the shit (no pun intended) these methods try to push.

Brittany2019 · 14/12/2019 17:35

Yeah, it’s too late, the time for potty training has passed. They’re just going to have to wear nappies for the rest of their lives. Sorry OP. Grin

Nah, it’ll be grand. Just follow the Oh crap book now and don’t worry about it being too late.

Usernamqwerty · 14/12/2019 17:36

Thank you all so much! Phew... Xxx

OP posts:
Confusedbeetle · 14/12/2019 17:36

3 years is a perfect time. Much easier in the summer though when you can just run naked

midnightmisssuki · 14/12/2019 17:37

My son is 3. He’s so far from being potty trains is funny. 😱🤦🏻‍♀️

Wannakisstheteacher · 14/12/2019 17:38

Seriously? How could you have left it too late? How many adults do you think are walking around in nappies? There isn't a window, you realise, and if you miss it, well that's it. Adult nappies for you my friend.

ultrablue · 14/12/2019 17:38

They say some boys are later. My son definitely was he was gone 3 1/2 years. My two DD'S were dry just after 2 1/2years. I waited until all 3 were ready. All done within a couple of weeks and dry through the night not long afterwards, stress-free for every one

Ohyesiam · 14/12/2019 17:40

I actually didn’t potty train either of mine.
Dd just did it herself, announced nappies were disgusting and wanted some pants and that was that.
Ds would not comply at all. We resorted To him wandering around with only his top half dressed when inside with the potty in the room , for about a year.
Then he only wanted a nappy to poo in for ages. He was( and still is) the sort of person who will refuse anything that we are pushing, even mildly. Has to feel he has decided every thing for himself. He got there on the end and so will yours

TheBlueStocking · 14/12/2019 17:41

I did it later when DS was able to hold a proper conversation about poo.

I personally think there's no point if they can't take you to the potty to reminiscence with you about what a good poo they've just had.

Booberella9 · 14/12/2019 17:52

DS is 3 in Jan. We tried him a few months ago, wasn't ready, just kept wetting himself and wasn't bothered. 1 month ago, still not ready. Then this week he has decided he wants to be a big boy and ditch the nappies. Despite him leading the charge he was messing around and being stroppy about sitting on the loo (like he is about EVERYTHING at the minute) until we introduced bribery, 1 treat for every wee or poo in the loo or potty. Took him 1 day to work out how to consciously let it out. 3 days in, he still needs to work out how to get all the wee out in one big wee rather than 2 little ones. But no accidents - I guess the bribes are just too good to waste anything?!

Recommend the Oh Crap method, breaking it down into separate skills made a lot more sense than the trad approach. Also setting it up for 100% independent loo/potty usage, DS is very proud of doing it all by himself whenever he wants to (excluding wiping the bum of course).

Oysterbabe · 14/12/2019 17:57

We did the oh crap method when DD was 3.5. It was easy as pie and she was dry at night within a month too with no in put from us, just stopped going at night as soon as we'd cracked the day time.

Indecisivelurcher · 14/12/2019 18:03

I'm pleased to see this thread! Ds is 2 and 7 months and showing zero signs of potty training readiness so far. I'm in the waiting until he's definitely ready camp, but I'm currently feeling really twitchy as his younger peers trot off to the loo... My Dd potty trained easily at barely 2 and had been ready a while. I've even been wondering if I've somehow missed a sign or if signs don't happen for some... I'll hold my nerve and sit on my metaphorical hands...!

Illstartexercisingtomorrow · 14/12/2019 18:03

Not too late at all. In fact I suspect many who potty train before 3 are pushing it before a child is ready hence weeks of training.

Both mine trained after 3. (About 3.3). DD1 literally had one accident and has been dry day and night since she told me herself she wants to wear pants. DD2 accepted my suggestion of it at 3.1 - no accidents, still needs a night nappy but honestly they have both been absolute stars.

I did - due to societal pressure - attempt to train dd1 at 2.4 and dd2 at 2.8 but it was miserable. They were not ready and I wish I had trusted my gut!

Disfordarkchocolate · 14/12/2019 18:06

All of mine were done at 2.5, as soon as nappies we're staying dry a few hours. I think it's easier when children have older siblings though, they generally want to copy what the bigger one is doing.

bellinisurge · 14/12/2019 18:10

Of course it's not too late. Stop beating yourself up.

bakingcupcakes · 14/12/2019 18:12

DS was trained just after turning 3 purely because school nursery refused to take him in nappies and he's august born. I would have left him a couple more months otherwise.

TooMinty · 14/12/2019 18:13

I actually think going later can be easier. I did my first when he was over 3 and it only took two days. Started his younger brother earlier as he was showing an interest, took best part of a year with going back to nappies in between attempts.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.